Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bombs on planes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Unlike most 4x4's, palne have more than one prson in. Planes = mostly full seats 4x4's = mostly empty.

Maybe. But the 'carbon dioxide imprint' of a frequent flyer still dwarves that of somebody merely using a 4x4. Not that I think flying is a sin or that we should abstain from flying but it's still surely hypocritical to criticise 4x4 owners for the environmental impact of their vehicles if you have ever flown unnecessarily.
    Something else been found on a plane in Australia

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/17082006/325/police-say-device-sydney-plane.html
    Maybe. But the 'carbon dioxide imprint' of a frequent flyer still dwarves that of somebody merely using a 4x4. Not that I think flying is a sin or that we should abstain from flying but it's still surely hypocritical to criticise 4x4 owners for the environmental impact of their vehicles if you have ever flown unnecessarily.
    You are right to a degree. However I don't think the comparison with the 4x4s holds.

4x4s are used every day in many cases- air travel a few times a year at the most.

The alternative to 4x4s is as readily available (public transport or a smaller, more sensible car) and actually cheaper. Alternatives to flights to the likes of Rome, Greece or Southern Spain are few, in some cases simply not possible (how can you go on a short holiday with each leg of the journey takes you two days), and far more expensive.

Of course people could choose not fly at all and to take holidays at home only or spend half their total holiday time getting to the place and back. So you could say those of us who do take flights from time to time are contributing to climate change. But just because you're doing that doesn't mean you cannot criticise those who take things to an entirely new and completely disproportionate and unjustified level- namely those who choose to use a highly dangerous, polluting innapropriate and pointless machine for commutting and travelling within congested urban areas.
    Fair enough. I just get a bit tired of the criticism directed solely at 4x4 users. I don't have a 4x4, can't afford one, wouldn't be able to afford insurance or running costs...But if I had that kind of money I'd drive a big Jag or a second hand Bentley. And there's not really much difference in emissions between a big old Bentley and a Range Rover is there? So why single out 4x4s?

It's also worth noting that the biggest environmental impact from a car comes from when it's built in the first place, consequently it would surely be a bad thing if every 4x4 user swapped their car for a brand new hybrid...

To be fair 4x4s do take up more space and in urban areas with a shortage of space I wouldn't have any problem with 'large' 4x4 vehicles like the big Jeeps and Range Rovers paying double for parking. But getting rid of 4x4s and driving Fiestas instead isn’t going to make much of a difference to overall carbon dioxide emissions. (I don't think car use is even particularly large when considered in overall carbon dioxide output).
    The criticism towards 4x4s isn't because of carbon emissions alone. As you point out some other vehicles pollute as much. And some others have a similar footprint.

But the 4x4 stands alone for a number of reasons. Mainly the particularly undesirable combination of very high emissions, very large and bulky size and significantly greater danger posed to other road users, pedestrians and even its own occupants.

That combination makes it a particularly unsuitable vehicle for urban areas. Anyone who uses that car regularly in urban areas is extremely selfish and irresponsible IMO.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The criticism towards 4x4s isn't because of carbon emissions alone. As you point out some other vehicles pollute as much. And some others have a similar footprint.

But the 4x4 stands alone for a number of reasons. Mainly the particularly undesirable combination of very high emissions, very large and bulky size and significantly greater danger posed to other road users, pedestrians and even its own occupants.

That combination makes it a particularly unsuitable vehicle for urban areas. Anyone who uses that car regularly in urban areas is extremely selfish and irresponsible IMO.

This thread has now totally derailed....
    :banghead:
    migpilot wrote:

My fault, sorry - *shrugs* but few threads stay to the point.
    migpilot wrote:

How about that couple in Mozambique who dug up graves to eat human flesh? Crazy eh? What do you think?

:p
    Perhaps we should have one thread devoted to pub conversations (you know where you start on topic and by a process of meandering end up discussing totally different things instead)
    that was totally gross...
    NQA wrote:
    Perhaps we should have one thread devoted to pub conversations (you know where you start on topic and by a process of meandering end up discussing totally different things instead)

Usually the barmaid's tits IME.
    Usually the barmaid's tits IME.

I was more thinking on conversations such as the relative merits of James Joyce vs Oscar Wilde moves into whether the the writings of Einstein conflict with the more modern versions such as Hawkins.

Though I have to admit on certain occassions a discussion on rugby may somehow slide into a discussion on whether you'd prefer to shag Kirsten Dunst or Sarah Michelle Gellar (tough choice, but on balance I'm going for Kirsten Dunst).
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Thank you Dis. Thank you alot. (Who thought I'd say that?). Best laugh in AGES, really. :lol:

Flying a sin!:lol:
    Aladdin wrote:
    How about that couple in Mozambique who dug up graves to eat human flesh? Crazy eh? What do you think?

:p

I wonder if they used barbeque sauce on them? :chin:

Crazy is one word to describe it i guess...
    NQA wrote:
    Though I have to admit on certain occassions a discussion on rugby may somehow slide into a discussion on whether you'd prefer to shag Kirsten Dunst or Sarah Michelle Gellar (tough choice, but on balance I'm going for Kirsten Dunst).

I have to disagree there, got to be SMG.

That said, I wouldn't kick either out of bed.

Maybe it's my age but those disussion with my mates are more abousually include Mary-Louise Parker

Maybe it's my age but those disussion with my mates are more abousually include Mary-Louise Parker

the one from West Wing.
    Nice!

Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kirsten Dunst together.... that would be fun. And I can't say I'd push Mary-Louise out either :thumb:

PS I assume from your new avatar congrats are shortly to be in order
    But she's got alien hands.

Have you seen her hands?

Yak! :eek:
    NQA wrote:

That might be an idea, as this thread could not be more derailed right now! Anything else about bombs on planes? Anyone?
    Did anyone see the Chief Executive of Ryan Air having a press conference on the news this morning? It was brilliant. He was completely taking the piss out of the governments security measures. He referred to a tube of toothpaste as a weapon of mass destruction at one point. If you get a chance to watch News 24 today, wait until that comes on. Funniest thing I've seen in ages.
    Even though O'Leary is right about the current shambles I find his 'ultimatum' to the government rather patronising. The man's a prick who kicks disabled people out of his planes if there are "too many" of them and who bans his employees from charging their mobile phones in the office- for all of 3p it might cost him.

That said, he has a right to be angry with the government. I guess he's the George Galloway of the aviation industry :D
    Aladdin wrote:
    The man's a prick who kicks disabled people out of his planes if there are "too many" of them

Without a parachute ?
    Aladdin wrote:
    But she's got alien hands.

Have you seen her hands?

Yak! :eek:

TBH I'm not that interested in her hands, and although I'm slightly disconcerted by the thought that you might have a "hand fetish exposure" problem there Al :eek:
    NQA wrote:
    PS I assume from your new avatar congrats are shortly to be in order

Not until Feb, those are 13-wk images, but thanks.

When you see them on screen and see the foetus moving then you can understand the anti-abortionists perspective a little better... not completely though...
    Did anyone see the Chief Executive of Ryan Air having a press conference on the news this morning? It was brilliant. He was completely taking the piss out of the governments security measures. He referred to a tube of toothpaste as a weapon of mass destruction at one point. If you get a chance to watch News 24 today, wait until that comes on. Funniest thing I've seen in ages.

He's a self publicising cunt IMHO, just like Galloway.

I'm looking forward to the day he either goes bust or his employees/passengers launch a large class action case for something. I wouldn't trust him to run a bath personally.
    TBH I'm not that interested in her hands, and although I'm slightly disconcerted by the thought that you might have a "hand fetish exposure" problem there Al :eek:

I've heard of your sort - the 'its her personality and brains I'm interested in , honest guv' type. You're sick :D
    He's a self publicising cunt IMHO, just like Galloway.

I'm looking forward to the day he either goes bust or his employees/passengers launch a large class action case for something. I wouldn't trust him to run a bath personally.
    Didn't he buy a black cab so he could use bus lanes on his way to work every day?

His airline treats passengers like utter shit. I have little intention of flying it, no matter how cheap it might be.
    NQA wrote:
    I've heard of your sort - the 'its her personality and brains I'm interested in , honest guv' type. You're sick :D
    :lol:
    NQA wrote:
    'its her personality and brains I'm interested in , honest guv'

Absolutely, whenever I meet a woman that I fancy I just want to talk to them...

:chin:
    Aladdin wrote:
    His airline treats passengers like utter shit. I have little intention of flying it, no matter how cheap it might be.
    I fly Ryanair fairly often & have never felt badly treated.