Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why don't they sell power supply units

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
with one power IN and one power out to monitor?

you seem to get this little luxury with new PCs so why can't they sell these as componants?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Because that sucks, quite frankly?

You are better off just using a seperate cable to avoid strain on the PSU imho.
  • Options
    with one power IN and one power out to monitor?

you seem to get this little luxury with new PCs so why can't they sell these as componants?

Really old PC's used to be like that - haven't seen that on any new PSU's

Better to keep power seperate
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Because that sucks, quite frankly?

You are better off just using a seperate cable to avoid strain on the PSU imho.

What strain? The outlet taps into the mains feed. It has nothing to do with the internals of the PSU...
  • Options
    What strain? The outlet taps into the mains feed. It has nothing to do with the internals of the PSU...

Do'h! Should have remembered tbh. I have taken enough apart. Those wires go straight from the in to the out.

LOL blonde moment.

Erm, but either way... what, do you only have ONE plug socket and no extension cables (I need an 8 now, 6 ain't big enough!)
  • Options
    What about RFI?

modern PC's with their much faster speeds are much more likely to be affected by stray RFI signals, cross talk, etc.
  • Options
    What about RFI?

modern PC's with their much faster speeds are much more likely to be affected by stray RFI signals, cross talk, etc.

And the difference between a PC and a monitor sharing a power outlet, and a PC letting the monitor piggyback off it's own PSU connection is...

...zilch.

:)
  • Options
    My guess. They probably ditched on-psu power outputs because someone moaned that they didn't want 240 volts sat on three metal prongs sticking out the back of the computer.
  • Options
    UK mains specification is 230v(+10%/-6%), for future reference. We changed to bring us into line with the rest of Europe some time ago. :)
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    My guess. They probably ditched on-psu power outputs because someone moaned that they didn't want 240 volts sat on three metal prongs sticking out the back of the computer.

Oh, the times I've had 230volts running through me working on PC's. Scary as FUCK. I take alot more safety now, and try to avoid working with old AT psu's where possible. Never put my finger on those three pins though... *Goes to put electrical tape across all of them*.

I guess Death must be something like that feeling.
  • Options
    How the heck did you end up with 240V going through you when working on an AT system? Unless you actually had the power supply open, i don't see how that would've happened.

However, i have had 240VAC running through my body once...i was working on an old Macintosh (an LC 630, if anyone's wondering) that had an open power supply, my hand brushed up against the wrong part of the power supply board with the power plugged in, and i got the shock of my life...scary as shit. I'm still here though, as you can see...even though i had to pinch myself to make sure i was still alive. :P
  • Options
    Heh, I wasn't going to question it. ;)

Last time I had mains go through me was when I was 6 or 7 - I was messing around with a light-switch. It's the kind of thing you do just once, unless you're incredibly stupid. Unless you've never done it at all, and just want to try and look cool on an internet forum :thumb:.

Last proper shock I had was several thousand volts. I was using the spark-plug tester at college, but the HT lead was faulty. I can't remember if it was 8000v or 18000v that went through my hand and caused my arm to spasm, but it was very funny. The lead and plug were projected at enormous speed into the wall...
  • Options
    How the heck did you end up with 240V going through you when working on an AT system? Unless you actually had the power supply open, i don't see how that would've happened.

It needed a new power switch, and I hadn't put tape over the terminals yet. To turn it on, I put on finger at the front of the loose switch and one at the back. BBZZZZZZZZPPPPP!!! The PC turned on though. And I was rather fucked over. Gah, fuckin things. Glad ATX has pissy little switches.
  • Options
    Times = plural. More than one. ;)
  • Options
    Times = plural. More than one. ;)

I done it twice now. Same thing both times.

One was my old 486 unit, other my P1 rig. Cocking things. 486 I was just testing the PSU, no PC attached... switch... got me again!

One other time I was trying to fix a hairdryer :lol:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It needed a new power switch, and I hadn't put tape over the terminals yet. To turn it on, I put on finger at the front of the loose switch and one at the back. BBZZZZZZZZPPPPP!!! The PC turned on though. And I was rather fucked over. Gah, fuckin things. Glad ATX has pissy little switches.

Eek! I forgot about the evil power switches that AT uses...i'm glad i don't have to dick around with those as much anymore. AT power switches are evil.

For the record i've also managed to zap myself with 500 volts DC...i was working on an old laptop (yes, another Macintosh if you're wondering, a PowerBook 145B), i was plugging in the cable for the backlight's inverter, didn't realise i had accidently left the machine RUNNING, and i got roughly 500 volts running through my body and a nice little burn mark on my finger, along with that wonderful burning flesh smell. :P Thankfully though, as you can see both me and the computer are still here and still very much alive. ;) Either way i now ALWAYS make sure that when i'm working on stuff, i have it turned OFF and UNPLUGGED. :P :banghead:
  • Options
    to prevent static i take all my clothes off and touch the radiator.
    anyone else do this
  • Options
    I typically try and keep one hand on the chassis as much as possible.
  • Options
    i have it turned OFF and UNPLUGGED. :P :banghead:

And discharge all left over current! (unplug it, turn it off, then press the front power button.)

Yeah, and earth yerself well. I have a wristband with croc clip that goes on a radiator! Haha.

I burnt meself once with alot of volts. A homebrew camera taser. Meheh. Fucking thing.