Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How long......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.....before you intend to leave your current job, should you start applying for a new one? It seems that all companies claim to want someone to start as soon as possible, yet they will no doubt take months to get the interview process over and done with. I don't want to spend months looking for a new job without telling my bosses, then get a job and find out that they want me to start next week. But equally, I don't want to tell my bosses I'm leaving in a month, only to find myself replaced, and with no job to go into. And this is all made a bit more complicated by the fact that I'd like any new job to roughly coincide with me moving to Manchester (which makes interviews a pain in the arse, incidentally).

Anyone got any tips about this sort of thing?

Comments

• Options
    if you have an interview, make it clear to them that you have to work 1 months notice in your curent job, then explain to work that you're handing in your 1 onths notice, as stated in your contract.
  • Options
    never leave a job without finding a new one first, ive done it and it does you no favours. most employers understand that people need to work various notices and it shouldnt be a problem really. im lucky that i only have to work 1 week, ive been looking for a job for a while now, but ive got to the stage that im being picky because i dont want to go to something else just for the sake of it. Ive just been offered a promotion at my current job so torn between 2 minds whether to stick it out here or keep looking
  • Options
    Nearly all jobs will expect you to have a months notice I would imagine as that is fairly standard - some people even need to give 6 months to a years notice depending on the organisation they are working with - though that can normally be negotiated.

When i had the interview for this job I told them I had to give a months notice but i didn't want to leave for 6 weeks because i wanted to finish the project I was working on first - I think that went in my favor rather than against me.
  • Options
    Due to working part time, and due to the company i work for i can leave at any time with no notice at all. I just need to sign a leavers form.

I'm currently mulling over what to do regarding my job/work. Weeks ago i'd have said i'll be leaving ASAP but now .... i couldnt give an answer
  • Options
    It all depends on how much your employer depends on you in your current position. If they really depend on you and it isnt just a job it is handled very different than if anyone can basically do your job