Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Steve McClarens First Squad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
His first squad is great, yes its only a friendly but he gone got it totally correct. Dropping aging and players who arent performing e.g. James and Campbell and dropping Beckham sends out a message to all the players. I hope that he continues how he has started.

Full Squad:

Goalkeepers:
Robinson (Tottenham), Kirkland (Liverpool), Foster (Man Utd).

Defenders:
Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole (Arsenal), Dawson (Tottenham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Terry (capt, Chelsea), Young (Charlton).

Midfielders:
Downing (Middlesbrough), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea).

Strikers:
Ashton (West Ham), Bent (Charlton), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah looks pretty good, maybe becks will step up his game now he's not guaranteed to play.......still don't think crouch should be in the first team (or the squad for that matter), he's just another emile heskey from what i can see, no pace for a lanky fucker, and he encourages the long ball....we all know what fascinating football that makes for......
    Yep seems like a decent squad. But I don't get why he's picked Phil Neville if he says that he's gonna give youth a chance. Let's face it, he's never gonna get near the first team, and so why not give a young player a chance, like Nigel Reo Coker or Kevin Nolan? Other than that though, I think it's a decent squad.
    Phil Neville is the only confusing pick

To be fair the only player he could of dropped to bring either Reo-Coker or Nolan in is Jenas, which i personally would of done because i dont rate Jenas at all but he must impress some how
    Scott Parker was also an option in the holding role.
    Yep seems like a decent squad. But I don't get why he's picked Phil Neville if he says that he's gonna give youth a chance. Let's face it, he's never gonna get near the first team, and so why not give a young player a chance, like Nigel Reo Coker or Kevin Nolan? Other than that though, I think it's a decent squad.

i agree. joey barton should be in there too.
    hazell wrote:
    i agree. joey barton should be in there too.
    Joey Barton shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. He's acted like a complete twat over the past year or so, and he's got a bit of growing up to do before he should be considered. Even on the pitch, the second half of last season wasn't great. He needs one great season on the pitch (and to keep his mouth shut off it) before I'd consider him.
    i agree he's been a bit of a twat, but he's still been quality (moreso than jenas) when ive seen him play.

however if youre a man city fan, you prob seen him more times than me and in a better position to judge.
    Hard to judge his second half of the season performance tbh. We had loads of injuries and pretty much collapsed after that. I'd say that Scott Parker and Nigel Reo-Coker are the two that I'd pick instead of Phil Neville and Jermaine Jenas.
    Can't believe I've just read Phil Neville's name in the same sentence as England!!!

If Jenas ever plays well I have yet to see it.:grump:
    I'd say that Scott Parker and Nigel Reo-Coker are the two that I'd pick instead of Phil Neville and Jermaine Jenas.

Absolutely!!
    I don't get why Reo-Coker wasn't picked.
    I don't like the squad, to be honest.

I really want to know what the hell Scott Parker has done wrong. Richardson and Neville but not him, what a shocking choice.

jenas is crap, and so is Barton.
    The front line doesn't exactly strike fear into the opposition does it?

Ok granted Owen and Rooney are injured but it makes you think that without those two, our strikers look rather lame.

I want to see Theo Walcott there.
    Kermit wrote:
    I really want to know what the hell Scott Parker has done wrong. Richardson and Neville but not him, what a shocking choice.

I agree. I'm not sure whether he'd be the ideal holding midfield player as he seems happier in a more attacking role, but he'd still do a good job.

It seems like blatant favouritism towards players who play for the likes of Manchester United to be honest.
    Is Scott Parker fit now because i can remember he got a serious injury at the end of last season
    He missed the end of the season because he had glandular fever.

He's played in all Newcastle's European matches so far although perhaps he's not back to 100% fitness - which can surely be the only reason for leaving him out of the England squad?
    LeedsLad wrote:

It seems like blatant favouritism towards players who play for the likes of Manchester United to be honest.

:rolleyes:

Why's that? Brown, Ferdinand and Richardson?

Ferdinand's world class and Brown never let United down last season when he was fit to play. Certainly better than AWOL Campbell.

And Richardson is a left footed left winger. Hard to find that kind of player. In the absence of Joe Cole, Richardson is good cover.
    LeedsLad wrote:

Not that you'd have a bias against United players I suppose?

Think through your complaint - English players from one of the top three clubs in the country (over the past four years) are included in Engliand Squad. Terrible, isn't it?

Would you complain if Jow Cole had been fit? Then you'd have Terry, Lampard and Cole in there. Of course if Ashley signs, the'd be four of them. Obviously blatant favouritism...
    Oh come on, Richardson is shite. If you want a left winger with ability in the squad you pick Downing and Etherington.

I don't think its favouritism exactly, but it already seems like McLaren is picking mediocre players from the big clubs at the expense of better players at smaller clubs. Richardson getting an England cap is up there with carlton Palmer getting one.

Same old same old, really.
    Phil Neville = Legend!!! :banghead: :hyper:
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh come on, Richardson is shite.

Even though he scored twice on his debut...

He's not the best option but without COle I would put him ahead of Etherington - on the basis that I haven't seen enough of him to judge!
    I don't think its favouritism exactly, but it already seems like McLaren is picking mediocre players from the big clubs at the expense of better players at smaller clubs.

I think he knows how he wants to play and is picking people he knows will do the job. When Venables came in there was a Spurs link accusation.

This squad will change over time, I'm sure. There is no long term with Phil Neville.
    England impressed me tonight, albeit against shite opposition. McClaren definitely has a better approach than Sven. Players seem to play more naturally. Opinions?
    Yeah, the opposition wasn't really that testing. We should really wait until we play a better team before we start jumping in the air thinking we are the best in the world.

We did pass the ball a lot better last nite than any time in the world cup. Gerrard played well on the right because Lampard wasn't getting in his way when they went forward. Hargreaves looked good. :crazyeyes
    England had balance and it wasn't a case of everything revolving around either Rooney or Beckham. Also kind of hard to leave Crouch out with his scoring record... :eek:
    England had balance and it wasn't a case of everything revolving around either Rooney or Beckham. Also kind of hard to leave Crouch out with his scoring record... :eek:

Wouldn't it be more interesting to have a look at his "missing sitters" record!! ;)

We still can't defend set balls properly. What's up with that....
    Well considering the fitness of the players and the weather, it wasn't a bad performance, although our goals were pretty easy. We were passing it better than we were in the World Cup, and we had a slightly better shape, but we're still nowhere near the likes of Spain, Holland, Argentina, Czech Rep and Italy in terms of a smooth passing game, and against limited opposition, I would've expected us to create more opportunities. But it's the start of the season, and it's McLaren's first game, so it was okay.
    migpilot wrote:
    Wouldn't it be more interesting to have a look at his "missing sitters" record!! ;)

That was an acusation once levelled an Andy Cole when he played fro United, yet his goals scored colum was pretty impressive too. Point is he gets into the position and tucks a fair few away.

You can give me a striker who gets 10 chances every game, blazes nine over the bar but scores the other one anyday...
    That was an acusation once levelled an Andy Cole when he played fro United, yet his goals scored colum was pretty impressive too. Point is he gets into the position and tucks a fair few away.

You can give me a striker who gets 10 chances every game, blazes nine over the bar but scores the other one anyday...

Absofuckenlutely!! :yes:
    The other accusation is that Crouch never scores more than from two yards out, but that's not the point either. He's paid to score goals, not 30-yard screamers.

Did you see Lampard's face when he nicked that goal off the end of his boot though? Priceless :lol: