Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

DELL Battery Recall

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was wondering what people's thoughts are on DELL after the recall of 4 million batteries?

Personally I think it would actually make me more likely to consider buying a DELL in the future .. the fact that they are will to fork out $200 to $300 million to recal all those batteries increases my faith in the company.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've always thought dell were shit. My opinion hasn't changed.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Same.

Not really sure how them recalling could increase your faith in them - they had no choice but to recall them all, I'm quite sure they wouldn't have done it for the good of their health!
    Cos unlike some car companies that could be mentioned that had known safety problems they recalled their product before anyone was killed - and the fault isn't with the Laptop itself - it's with the batery which is made by Sony.
    wasn\t this because they exploded into flames
    Yes.

060815explodingdelllaptop.jpg
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    JsT wrote:
    Yes.

060815explodingdelllaptop.jpg
    :lol: Love the look on the guys faces!
    Dell is the preferred choice of the NHS, says it all really.
    Dell is the preferred choice of the NHS, says it all really.
    Aye, the choice at a certain major car hire company too.

Still, all the managers with laptops get the day off.

Ho hum.
    Not me, but then mine isn't on the list. Right model, wrong battery.
    wasn\t this because they exploded into flames

Well that video on the net didn't help, bet the person that made it wishes they'd just sold it to DELL for $1 Million

All modern Laptop Batteries are potential little fire hazzards, they're packing so much energy into a small space - if you're not using a laptop battery for a while they say to discharge it to about 40% first to release some of that stored energy.
    im glad i dont have a laptop anymore:eek2:
    I work for philips and we only use dell.

Pity they are awful machines!
    Personally I think it would actually make me more likely to consider buying a DELL in the future .. the fact that they are will to fork out $200 to $300 million to recal all those batteries increases my faith in the company.

I think it's a joke. Dell have had issues with batteries for years - last I heard over 250 machines were in Dell's secret 'museum', having been destroyed by battery failure.

250 machines, in the grand scheme of things, isn't a lot. But it is 250 machines too many when they are designed to be taken anywhere and used in close proximity to the user - generally on their lap.

The only machines kept by Dell are those that were Dell spec - no aftermarket batteries or AC adapters. I've no idea how many additional machines will be toast by now, but you can expect the number to be far larger than anything quoted by Dell. Once a machine is out of warranty, people can't justify spending £300+ on genuine batteries and switch to 'compatible' units. Dell won't care once the unit is out of warranty.

Your faith is unwarranted, TBH. IBM are(were?) the most trustworthy hardware manufacturer. Everything they made was overengineered for a very, very long time - "greater than the sum of it's parts", if you please.

There is a damned good reason why IBM Thinkpads were qualified for use in space by NASA with modifications to only the power socket.

Don't get me wrong - my favourite ever machine to use(and own!) was one of the Dell Precision laptops. But Dell just aren't(weren't?) a patch on IBM
    my_name wrote:

what does that have to do with laptop batteries, your clutching at straws i think
  • Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    I hear much about Dell this and Dell that, surely they should have chosen more appropriate batteries for their kit. However, Sony should have made their batteries a little more robust. I believe Apple also use the sony batteries.
    Here we go...

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;150435315;fp;2;fpid;1
    Dell and Sony knew about and discussed manufacturing problems with Sony-made Lithium-Ion batteries as long as ten months ago, but held off on issuing a recall until those flaws were clearly linked to catastrophic failures causing those batteries to catch fire, a Sony Electronics spokesman said.

Wankers.