Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Favourite Absinthe spirits, anyone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll be ordering a few more varieties in a few weeks, so I was just wondering what kinds you all would suggest. I know there aren't too many absinthe enthusiasts here, but hey, what could it hurt to ask? I'm getting 3 or 4 bottles as of now and so far am considering an Australian spirit, a nice Fee Verte French variety, and a few inexpensive Czech varieties (like, we're talking $23/750 ml here!), just so I can get some experiance with different kinds under my belt.

For those of you that missed my past thread(s) about absinthe, I do indeed love it, yes I do! I daresay it was more enjoyable than opium...and that is not something to say lightly. The spirit I have tried had a heavy alcohol contrent (146 proof!) and very bitter taste, that was moderately heavy on the anise. Gave a very warm, pleasant body buzz that was clearly different from alcohol alone and even a gentle euphoria sensation that keeps you in a positive mindset well into the next day. Even if it is not the most intense drug ever concieved, there is nothing else like it.

I'll do follow-up reviews on each of the types as I try them, although I'll be using economy shipping so it will be a while!:)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know about the types but on holidays there was black, green,yellow, blue and red coloured absinthe, all 160 proof..blew the head of ya.

Way too strong to be drinking properly, you can't actually enjoy it, too burny.

And with the prices of 5 euro for near half a liter of the stuff it's madness.
    I love Absynthe! the green glowy one is awesome...though too minty in taste i thought.
    You after brand names to buy? I have a bottle of La Fee Parisian at home, and they also do a Bohemian version, which is a bit stronger and is based on the Czech spirit. At work we have Hapsburg, which is much stronger and quite expensive (I work in a cocktail bar, we're not just alcoholics). You're looking at 75-89% depending on which variety you go for.
    We have a bar down here that does loads of different absinthes and one is £25 quid a shot!!!!!
    for that i'd expect it to drive me home buying me a kebab on the way!
    We have a bar down here that does loads of different absinthes and one is £25 quid a shot!!!!!
    for that i'd expect it to drive me home buying me a kebab on the way!

ahaha i must nominate that for post of the week. that has me in stiches.
    i know a well good one but i cant remember what its called :( very nice drunk .

had La absenta or something like that on the front, was in a bottle that got thinner all the way to the top. 89% Glowy green colour, very nice. Different sorta drunk.
    I think absinthes a loada shite, gets you too wrecked, disgusting to drink and doesn't get you drunk just makes you really heavily sedated and unsociable. Nothing euphoric about it or anything. Might as well take a valium and have a couple of beers or if your not into that that have a bottle of aftershock or summat.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Uprising wrote:
    I think absinthes a loada shite, gets you too wrecked, disgusting to drink and doesn't get you drunk just makes you really heavily sedated and unsociable.

I completely agree. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
    :yuck: indeed

you fall asleep and wake up not even knowing u fell asleep.

i dread to think what it does to your insides. :eek2:
    Not exactly an expert on brands but by far the best ive had was Hapsburg. Much smoother than some of the brands ive had. Love drinking the stuff, but im a huge fan of harder spirits. I picked up a bottle of non-brand vodka on holiday a year or so back, was 60% and was so smooth it was like drinking water.
    But back to the absinthe, i tend to find the weaker varieties arent as smooth as the stronger ones.
    You after brand names to buy? I have a bottle of La Fee Parisian at home, and they also do a Bohemian version, which is a bit stronger and is based on the Czech spirit. At work we have Hapsburg, which is much stronger and quite expensive (I work in a cocktail bar, we're not just alcoholics). You're looking at 75-89% depending on which variety you go for.

Can you go into a bit more detail on the differences in experiances, tastes, etc. I am already familiar with the brands and prices.

Uprising wrote:
    I think absinthes a loada shite, gets you too wrecked, disgusting to drink and doesn't get you drunk just makes you really heavily sedated and unsociable. Nothing euphoric about it or anything. Might as well take a valium and have a couple of beers or if your not into that that have a bottle of aftershock or summat.

You gotta keep in mind that absinthe is much like marijuana; different varieties, different experiances/quality. You get shit weed, you're going to get a shitty buzz, you get a shit spirit of absinthe and you're just going to get drunk. If you can't even name the type then chances are it wasn't even real absinthe or a shit variety.

There are spirits that are sedative, head clearing, euphoric, and one that give a milder giggly sensation, or a combination of several descriptors. I know people that have had spirits not unlike ecstacy! Unless you are a complete non-drinker, I'm sure there is a spirit you will enjoy...

...and Johnny you are thinking of Hapsburg Hardcore, I believe.