Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

OMGZ Not ANOTHER pill question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    I'm on Microgynon 30, have been for nearlly 2 years.

The only side affects i have ever noticed which i put down to the pill is bad period pain which i never had before going on the pill.

Lately when i go to bed i have recently started to get headaches but i don't think it will be down to the pill just a coincidence reading this thread that you had them and i have recently.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Ah mine aren't during the pill free week, i think it's just a coincidence.

Yeah period pain isn't too good, in fact it would be interesting to see if i come off it if the pain stops. Although that is a risk i'm not willing to take at this moment in time.

My mum is on a pill called Yasmin, although i'm not close to my mum so we don't talk about such things so i don't know side affects or anything, i just thought i would mention it as it's a different one.
  • Options
    Yasmins a bit wierd and special.

I used to take Dianette (the one that treats acne), until I got taken off it after having a horrendos migraine. We're fairly sure the migraine was unrelated to the pills but it just put me too much of a high risk category to keep taking it.

Since then I've taken Cerazette on and off which is a new mini pill (handily has a 12 hour window for taking it). You take it continually and it can do slightly funny things to your cycle (stopped mine completely but I'm not complaining) but I've found it to be very good, no real side affects.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:

Hmm, like the idea of no periods altogether.

Having the contraceptive injection does that doesn't it?

Is that an option you could take instead?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I don't want to do that, partly because if it does give me headaches etc, I can't undo it and just have to let it run its course...and secondly, everyone I know who has gone on the injection has put on weight, sometimes a frightening amount. I feel bad saying that, I don't want to sound vain. It's just that I'm not exactly skinny already, so if I put on even more wiehgt I'd get seriously depressed.

Not vain at all, i know full well i wouldn't want to put on any weight!
  • Options
    I don't think your going to find one that doesn't carry acne or weight gain as a possible side effect, because of the way they work it's a possibility in all of them (even Dianette as acne listed as a possible side effect).

You're right though, you shouldn't be on it that long but I still had a reasonable time left.

It's possibly worth looking into mini pills (progesterone only ones). No periods is great, until you get a guilty conscience or start to worry you stuffed up at some point and you want the reassurance your not pregnant.
  • Options
    I don't think your going to find one that doesn't carry acne or weight gain as a possible side effect, because of the way they work it's a possibility in all of them (even Dianette as acne listed as a possible side effect).

You're right though, you shouldn't be on it that long but I still had a reasonable time left.

It's possibly worth looking into mini pills (progesterone only ones). No periods is great, until you get a guilty conscience or start to worry you stuffed up at some point and you want the reassurance your not pregnant.

This may sound dumb, but can some women still have periods and be pregnant?

I never understood how some women gave birth without realising they were pregnant beforehand.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I've been on Microgynon 30 for about 3 years, and I've never had any problems with it. In fact, having periods was made 100% better by taking it - they're much lighter and I never get period pain anymore, whereas I used to be in agony.

I've no idea if I gained weight whilst on it, because I don't own a pair of scales and have no interest in what I weigh. I can't think of any side effects from it at all.

I know that doesn't help you much!
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you had such a shitty experience on Microgynon 30, I can relate completely as it is my sworn enemy. It turned me into the most evil, moody, aggressive person ever... or at least it was a handy excuse :p

In seriousness though, it did make me prone to incredible mood swings (and I'm not at all like that when medication-free) and I had the horrendous headaches too which I would definitely call migraines as I've never known anything like it and people always "pssh" headaches as if they're nothing. Though my period pains didn't really get any worse than before I'd been on it; it didn't help any. It's obviously impossible to tell if these things were related solely to the pill but it's a pretty good guess since the date I came off it I have returned to resembling a sentient, normal human being as much as I ever will. I can't recommend any others as it's the only pill I've ever been on and I don't plan on trying any alternatives, ever, if I can damn well help it. I hope you find a good alternative, though -- contraceptive injection is a definite possibility, but you should discuss it all with your GP and see what your viable options are.

On a side-note: I'm probably a big weirdo, but the idea of not having a period at all doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I always say I hate having the painters in but I think I might miss it in some bizarre way if I didn't have one at all... though that's probably a lot to do with my implicit mistrust and reluctance to use hormonal contraception for any sustained period of time, anyway.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Sorry to hear you had such a shitty experience on Microgynon 30, I can relate completely as it is my sworn enemy. It turned me into the most evil, moody, aggressive person ever... or at least it was a handy excuse :p

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I was on Microgynon for a year, and it SERIOUSLY messed me about, so the doctor put me on Mercilon (I think that's what it was called now... I can check in a bit, I've still got some upstairs - infact I've still got some Microgynon. I really need to go to the pharmacy one day). The symptoms got a lot better as Mercilon is considered the gentler pill of all of them, but it still messed me about (but that was because of poor health beforehand) but I was only on it for about 6 months, not really long enough to give much advice. Most people who can't take Microgynon find this to be good though.

I've had the contraceptive implant for about 4 months now though, that stops your period too ;) and it lasts for 3 years, but can be taken out at any time. Just if it turns out the combined pill in general is your option, it's a progestrone only choice which is better than the injection :)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I've been on cilest for about 18 months now, and the first couple of months where horrible as I got used to it, I was a horrible evil bitch on it at first. I have had problems from the age of 13 (starting my periods) to 19 (going on the pill). I have polycystic ovaries, and they where causing me to have six week long cycles, with week long periods and two weeks of quite severe depressive PMS.

With cliest I now have five day long periods and about five days of PMT which can be pretty much non-existent or can be a bit bad - cramps/feeling sick/ eating like a horse depending on how stressed I've been. The only downside is I've put on quite a bit of weight and I'm finding it quite hard to shift.
  • Options
    I was on three or four different types of combined pill over about four years. I can't remember all the names of the ones I had (I know I started on Dianette and then went to Cilest, and was never on Microgynon), but I was on the last one for over a year and then I suddenly started getting horrendous headaches. I eventually came off it because I didn't need it anymore for contraception.

When I did need to go back on it, I went on Micronor - a mini pill - and have been on it for nearly three years now with no problems at all. I probably have a period every eight or so months and it doesn't bother me. I know I take it religiously so I don't worry about it failing through my fault - if it does, it'll be because I'm one of the unlucky 4% (mini pills only have a 96% effectiveness, compared to 99% for the combined pill).

My doc said it was the oestrogen (sp?) in the combined pill that was giving me the headaches, hence why I went on the mini pill. It's worth a try! Micronor only has a three hour window tho.
  • Options
    \