Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

urine - repeat effects?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
friend of mine claimed that you can repeat the effects of a mushroom high if you drink your own urine.

what struck me was how this came out in conversation. did someone just slip that
1 they so unhappy with their lives to do drugs and
2 that they'd drunk their urine to gain the high again

anyone heard of similar stories?
alex

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firstly you don't have to be unhappy with your life to do drugs.

And I very much doubt that the active compounds in mushrooms remain intact after passing through the digestive tract.

There's countless bullshit stories about drugs out there. American drug education is a good place to start.
    Well reindeers eat a fungus, Fly Agaric i think, the red capped one with the little white spots and they're immune to it's hallucinogenic qualities, but laps (laplanders ?) drink their (the reindeer's) urine and get the hallucinogenic quality from it. Allegedly that's the origin of Santa Clause and his flying sleigh. Laps and their trips !
    The primary active ingredients of Psilocybe mushrooms are psilocybin and psilocin... In the digestive track, psilocybin dephosphorylates to psilocin; the dephosphorlytaion process is accomplished by a readily present digestive track enzyme, alkaline phosphatase (Vollenweider 1998).
    So I'd assume psilocin is not hallucinogenic
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So I'd assume psilocin is not hallucinogenic
    Both of the two compounds are equally psychoactive, since one molecule of psilocybin (O-phosphoryl-4-hydroxy-N) can be broken down into one molecule of psilocin (4-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyl-tryptamine).
    The primary difference between psilocybin and psilocin is that psilocin is unstable, and it breaks down when the mushroom is dried

So I guess it is. (All taken frim the link you posted.)
    There is much debate over the two chemicals in mushrooms, with many people saying that differentiating between the two is somewhat pointless because they seem to have exactly the same action. For more information consult PIHKAL.

As to the urine method, I have heard that it does work, in fact I think it would work for MDMA to some extent too. But you've got to ask why you would do it.
    bongbudda wrote:
    But you've got to ask why you would do it.

Because nothing beats a glass of your own piss first thing in the morning! :yuck::razz:

I suppose its like hair of the dog, except with mushrooms instead of drink! Why or how anyone could do it is beyond me though!
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It was originally done for ritualistic reasons, and I suppose that myth became attached to the ritual - ie it gets you more nutted if you drink your own urine. Its usually how these stories start, innit? Erowid has the following info, taken from this page -
    Urine drinking

Among the various Siberian peoples who use Amanita muscaria as a cultural norm, there exists a curious practice whereby the urine of one who has consumed the mushroom is drunk by another who consequently becomes inebriated. The urine of this person may then be drunk by another and so on, the procedure being repeated up to five or six times. The reason for this practice is that A. muscaria contains ibotenic acid which, when the carboxyl radical is removed from the molecule, yields the psychoactive molecule muscimole [Ott, p. 327]. The metabolic process of decarboxylation which effects this transformation within the user's liver is very inefficient. In fact, it is so inefficient that approximately 85% of the ibotenic acid ingested (more than enough to inebriate further users) passes through the body unchanged and is excreted in the urine [Ott, p. 328]. To put it another way, the urine contains more than five times as much of the drug as the body can assimilate.

This unsavory yet economical practice is well-documented among certain Siberian tribes where A. muscaria is widely used in both shamanic and ludibund contexts [von Bibra, p. 75]. Of all known traditions of drug use this practice of recycling the urine is unique to A. muscaria consumption and should be considered a highly significant indicator of this mushroom.

Note - this refers to Amanitas/Fly agarics as someone mentioned above, and not psylocybes...
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    I've heard this too, that the hallucinatory compounds are passed into the urine, so you can get another high from drinking your wee.

I could've sworn that there was some link to magic mushrooms and wee-drinking with Stalin and his cronies. I'm so sure it was on a BBC2 programme earlier this year, but for the life of me I can't find anything on the internet about it. Maybe it was just all in my head... But if anyone could put me straight on the issue I'd appreciate it.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    ...So I guess it is. (All taken frim the link you posted.)
    whoa. i meant that if it's so unstable, it'd break down soon after you excreted it. I really have no idea though... not much of a mushrooms person..
    Only one way to really find out :yum:
    Look, unless any of us are willing to actually TRY IT, what's the point in debating it?:yuck:
    You can allegedly get the same effect from recycling your piss while on e. A large percentage of MDMA is excreted unmetabolised in your urine.
    You'd have to be a deperate tramp to do that in the first place.