Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cooking times

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if something needs to be cooked for thirty minutes on gas mark 6 does that mean if you cook it on gas mark 3 it will take an hour?

Comments

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    no, I don't think so...
  • Options
    I'd just cook it till it looks alright :razz: and if meat, isn't pink in the middle.

I'm stupid enough to go by what you said to begin with also, it makes sense to me, but obviously is wrong.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    I'm stupid enough to go by what you said to begin with also, it makes sense to me, but obviously is wrong.

im glad someone else thinks the same. makes perfect sense i think:yes:
  • Options
    im glad someone else thinks the same. makes perfect sense i think:yes:

Yeah definitely does, so what is the correct answer to the question :confused:
  • Options
    the answer is no :)
  • Options
    no, because some stuff you have to cook slowly, and some stuff you have to cok off quickly
  • Options
    What exactly is it that you want to cook? And why would you want to cook it on a much lower temperature?

The gas mark scale doesn't double the heat when it doubles the number, and, even if it did, that doesn't mean that you can halve the time.

The heat may not be sufficient to cook the food properly (depending on what it is) no matter how long you leave it for.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    What exactly is it that you want to cook? And why would you want to cook it on a much lower temperature?

The gas mark scale doesn't double the heat when it doubles the number, and, even if it did, that doesn't mean that you can halve the time.

The heat may not be sufficient to cook the food properly (depending on what it is) no matter how long you leave it for.

What do different numbered gas marks mean then?

I'm so useless.
  • Options
    if something needs to be cooked for thirty minutes on gas mark 6 does that mean if you cook it on gas mark 3 it will take an hour?

Nope .. doesn't work that way

Try cooking toast on a grill on a really low flame and really slowly - it will brown however it will be really crunchy by the time it's cooked

Then cook another piece really fast and brown to the same extent and it will be much softer.

Time & heat are not interchangable when it comes to cooking.

Some food have to be cooked at a tempreture over a certain heat or they'll never cook properly or at all (e.g. pop corn will not pop below a certain tempreture)
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    What do different numbered gas marks mean then?

I'm so useless.

They just represent higher heat, but not necessarily on a multiplying scale.

Google for "gas mark temperature conversion" if you're really that interested...
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    They just represent higher heat, but not necessarily on a multiplying scale.

Google for "gas mark temperature conversion" if you're really that interested...

And remember the top, middle and bottom sections of an oven are gonna be at different tempretures too!!