Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stalked by blue tooth?

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
SunWoman is looking to speak to women who have been stalked by bluetooth on a mobile phone - the ultimate technology in stalking. Has someone just lucked out and contacted you by picking up your phone's bluetooth connection without even knowing your phone number?

You will need to be pictured but we will pay you generously for your time. Contact Debbi on sunnews2@newsint.co.uk or 0207 782 4058

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not actually quiet sure how you can be stalked by blue tooth. You can change your bt name, or you can turn it off.

Or am I missing something?
    The pirate?
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Is this all to do with the Bluejacking software out available on symbian phones?
    surely the simple sollution to this is just to turn your bluetooth off?

it wastes battery power anyway
    have you ever turned your bluetooth on when you're in a busy place? some people have the strangest names!!
    have you ever turned your bluetooth on when you're in a busy place? some people have the strangest names!!

Yea i have seen some funny ones! Its true all it does is waste battery power and if i need to transfer a file to another mobile device then i will simply turn it on. Its going to cause more trouble soon when phones are running on an operating system, we will all have to download virus scanners just because some prick made a virus that attacks phones :no:
    my phone does run an operating system

mines sgt. bash
    mine's hilarious.

it's lucy. :\
    **Helen** wrote:
    SunWoman is looking to speak to women who have been stalked by bluetooth on a mobile phone - the ultimate technology in stalking. Has someone just lucked out and contacted you by picking up your phone's bluetooth connection without even knowing your phone number?

You will need to be pictured but we will pay you generously for your time. Contact Debbi on sunnews2@newsint.co.uk or 0207 782 4058

Well, I'm not a girl, nor have I 'stalked' anyone via bluetooth. But I've been bluejacking for the last couple of years. Generally I send a message along the lines of "Buy one get one free on all meals. Show this message at the till" at university, though I've bluejacked people in the cinema with "Turn off your phone, arsehole".

Sounds like another pointless article in 'The Sun', to be honest... It isn't like you get the phone number/address/registration plate of people when you 'jack them...

Mine probably comes across strange to people, but it's an inside joke.

This time last year, when I got the phone, mine and my boyfriends mutual friends used to joke that I was a robot - he used to ask me all his important information, birthdays, what time he was at work, his own details etc. So my mate came up with the hilarious nickname for me - Nicatron. And the day I got the phone, I stupidly asked him what I should put. Needless to say, he nicked the phone off me and stored it, then connected me to all our mates phones using the name.

Haven't the heart to change it though :) Will be gutted when I get a new phone next week, wont be the same...
    Well, I'm not a girl, nor have I 'stalked' anyone via bluetooth. But I've been bluejacking for the last couple of years. Generally I send a message along the lines of "Buy one get one free on all meals. Show this message at the till" at university, though I've bluejacked people in the cinema with "Turn off your phone, arsehole".

Sounds like another pointless article in 'The Sun', to be honest... It isn't like you get the phone number/address/registration plate of people when you 'jack them...

There are all sorts of bluejacking mate. All you are doing is sending a business card with a message (or note) common with a program called Sman for symbian phones. There is some more indepth bluejacking but i have never seen software for it so im not sure how it is done.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah i found one called "Hurry the Fuck Up"
    That should have been "Harry the fuck up".
    I seriously doubt there is such a thing as stalking someone via bluetooth

First your bluetooth would need to be turned on and the other phone would probabaly be no more then 10 metres away from you.

I'm actually quite shocked the site would even allow this thread.

You'd only likely ever be in that situation in an office if at all.
    Look there is alot you can do with Bluetooth! you can read someone's messages, access any information on their phone. Yes you need to be within a certain range but this can still be done. There is even Blackjacking with Blackberry devices, accessing WiFi networks stealing data from business servers. With the right software your phone can do as much as a computer. All im saying is with phone technology getting good at a fast rate nothing is impossible. I have had a virus sent to my A1000 before, lukily it wasn't compatible on my phone, no harm done. If your experiencing problems with your bluetooth then the only thing you can do is turn it off.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    bacon wrote:
    what absolute trash.

i've got to say i don't really see how this forum fits with thesite's mission. isn't thesite.org all about helping young people etc and giving them advice? not providing market research subjects?!

i'm sure lots of people 'need us'; to make money!

It's not market research it's for a magazine - and yes they still make money, but it's not quite the same. Also, if there are people who have had issues with bluetooth then what's wrong with exposing it, surely it makes sense for other people to be aware of it? I've seen loads of stuff on TV and in the press about problems with bluetooth, including things that Smitherz mentioned. Anyway I'm sure the person has already written the article now, so gonna close this. Feel free to start a thread about it in Net & Tech :thumb:

ETA: sorry if you don't agree with this section - but if you read Dom's 'what's this about' thread then it should give you an idea of where it fits with TheSite.
This discussion has been closed.