Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Surface Piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya - I'm hoping to get a Tragus Vertical Surface Piercing tomorrow, all going well.

Anyways, I don't know anyone that has had any kind of surface piercing and would like to know from anyones experiences.

I'm not really all that nervous, cause I've already have me rook and tragus pierced so I don't mind the pain as such so long as there's no complications with them of course.

bmepb297986.jpg

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No info or help for you, but that is a very cute piercing, never seen one before. Its gorgeous!
    there are lots of complications with surface piercings, which are not viewed as permenant- mostly. There are different ways of doing them, with different materials, to varying degrees of success and resulting scarrs. The first thing to look at is whether the area of skin u want pirced moves at all. You might want to draw a little grid on your face and, looking in a mirror, pull lots of facial expressions and wiggle your ears- if the squares stay square it's probably ok. then you'll want to find the piercer. Ask them how many surface piercings they do/have done, ask to see pictures of fresh, newly healed and long term healed they have done similar to the one you want. Ask them what material they will be using,including the type of bar they will put in, what it's made of and the equipment they'll use to put it in. Then you want to go home and look up as much info on the piercing as you can on the net, as people who've had 'em done, and think about it before deciding to go ahead. I really want to get surface bars on my collar bones but my researh has led me to put off having it done, for now at least. Check out the piercing websites for more info...
    Cheers for the info so far - I know where I am going to get it done. Same place I got the rest of me piercings. I've seen their work before I had my others done. Just never seen them do surface piercings, but I sure they have I just never seen their pictures or anything.

I've been looking up on websites, like BMEZINE.com. Guess I ws just looking for anyone on here to talk to.
    bmezine is the one to check- that's where I started on my info hunt on surface piercings. There are a few horror stories on there too. But don't be completely puy off by them, I have a friend who's kept a surface piercing on the back of his neck for a few years and it's still going strong, so I think it's where you have it and your body's reaction that makes a difference...
    Yeah, very true. I mean the only piercing I ever had trouble with and that was me bellybutton but think that was down to me own fault of cleaning it too often and changed the bar to quickly, not giving it a chance to heal completely, etc.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, eh?! haha
    my_name wrote:
    No info or help for you, but that is a very cute piercing, never seen one before. Its gorgeous!

T'is really cute, aint it?! :)
    You're going to have it done tomorrow??!?? Make sure you do your homework tonight and it al looks good. The girl in that picture's piercing is not healed you realise? And if it grows out, which it looks like it might- she will have a scar that will probably be a raised line where the bar was underneath (if you get what I mean). I'd check that those piercings actually properly heal before having it done, unless you don't mind having a vertical scar on your face on 12months time?
    http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/11-surface/wantone.html

^^^ good article. says 80% success rate if done properly and tells you what to look for. Good luck. post a pic if you do it- I think they're purty, I'm just too chicken to have one.
    Cheers chick - I've been thinking about getting it done for while and have been reading up on them, just guess I was was looking to hear from people like yourself who knows others who hae had surface piercings before.

I speak to the guy who did me piercings first, before I charge right in + demand for it be done.
    I've had a vertical tragus surface piercing, twice. It grew out after about 4 months the first time, and about 2 months the second time.

firstattempt.jpg First Attempt.

SECONDATTEMPT.jpg Second Attempt.
    Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Awk, was really looking forward to getting it done, but now I'm starting to wonder will it really be worth while if there's a chance it won't stay in :(

Did you get any scars from yours Ilora-Danon? Was it sore before and after? Even when u had to take it out?
    My Piercer and good friend has had his VTS piercing for years, so it's not to say that everyone who has one loses it.

I do have a scar. But, it's not really noticeable because my hair covers it. I can feel the scar tissue with my finger, but it doesn't bother me at all - I quite like it! It was rather sore, but the pain soon went as the scar tissue formed and healed. It doesn't hurt at all now, a year later.

I got mine done for free because he was a good friend, but it should've cost around £45 each time. So it's an expensive gamble to take if you're having to fork out for it each time.

I say, go for it. It was by far the most interesting piercings I've had and one of my favourites - it cause quite a stir too, which I loved (being an attention seeker lol).
    If it grows out, it grows out. It's an experience in itself that I'd definitely recommend. And, you never know - yours might stick around for years. You just don't know :thumb:

If you do have it done, ask for an eyebrow (curved) barbell, rather than a plain straight one - it seemed to put more pressure on the skin when mine was pierced with a normal barbell, than it did with a curved barbell.
    Lemme know what you decide and how you get on :thumb:
    Aww. I really appreciate it that. Thanks for the info. I will go in tomorrow to talk to him first about it - Though I may leave it for another day. Depends what answers I get out of him tomorrow about it.

Thanks again :)
    My pleasure :thumb: Good luck :yes:
    I hope I'm not intruding here, but on the topic of surface piercings, are they easy to get the jewlery in? I shouldn't imagine it to be, but I just keep thinking, oh would you just be poking yourself all over for half an hour trying to find the hole (I want the back of my neck)
    my_name wrote:
    I want the back of my neck)

Me toooooo. I want that, and my lip done. Getting it done when I come back from Reading. Whooo. :D:D:D:D:D
    1983 wrote:
    Me toooooo. I want that, and my lip done. Getting it done when I come back from Reading. Whooo. :D:D:D:D:D

Oooo thats so awsome, I must see when its done! :D
    With a surface piercing, you won't be changing the jewellery. It causes to much stress to the skin so you'll have to keep the original jewellery in permanently.
    So how do you clean the jewlery then?
    Another good site i've used for piercing advise is BJS i found them very helpful with getting my PA, and just for general piecring stuff (some of the stuff on the shop not bad either).

Either way looks like a good one to get.
    my_name wrote:
    So how do you clean the jewlery then?
    While it's in the skin?? :naughty:
    Surely it can't get a good thorough cleaning though if its still in your skin? Just chilin there building up gunk and stuff. Oh I'm having second thoughts now. Thanks for warning me!
    my_name wrote:
    I hope I'm not intruding here, but on the topic of surface piercings, are they easy to get the jewlery in? I shouldn't imagine it to be, but I just keep thinking, oh would you just be poking yourself all over for half an hour trying to find the hole (I want the back of my neck)

I'd love to get the back of my neck done too, but my job wont let me! In reality i would probably wimp out before hand anyway. I know someone with her wrist pierced, that looked quite pretty...but I think she had a lot of trouble with it.
    I do remember a guy I worked with, had the back of his neck pierced and he didn't seem to have any problems with it. Don't know how long he had it in for though.

I meant to go today to talk to the guy who did me last piercing but never got the chance to get in. Hopefully I will sometime this week as I'd still really like me vertical tragus.
    Yup, seen the back of the neck one work with no complications, as mentioned earlier it's been healed for a few years and still going strong.

Ilora: Is that second picture fresh when it was pierced? Does your piercer mate have anything to say about using the specific 'surface piercing' bars mentioned in my BME link? Is your still going strong? Is the little dark line on your second pic the scar from the first rejection?

I get keliod scarring so ain't no way I'ma risking that on my face. A closed up madonna is enough of a pain!
    katralla wrote:
    Ilora: Is that second picture fresh when it was pierced? Does your piercer mate have anything to say about using the specific 'surface piercing' bars mentioned in my BME link? Is your still going strong? Is the little dark line on your second pic the scar from the first rejection?
    Yeah the second picture is the same day I had it pierced - the dark line is the ink from the marker pen - the scar isn't visible. I don't know what my piercer thinks about surface bars tbh, it's not a subject we've talked about!