Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

5 as levels (or alevels hmm i wonder what they are called) encore

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
well i really can't decide im moving from high school to collge and i have chosen to chemistry,biology,textiles and buisiness studies...but i would really also want to do french but the teachers are like your timetable will be full and alos textiles has a lot of courseowork.im getting worried now everyone is like goodluck.can anyone make some suggestions please.i tried private tution but it costs like £30 an hour a big no no.please help this is really worrying me and i cant decide.thank you alll
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Give it a go, you can always drop a subject if you're finding it tough. I did five ASs for a while (six, if you include general studies) and it did mean my timetable was stupidly full, and it was a big workload but it was manageable, at least while I did it - nearer exam and deadline time it would've been much worse but still, there's no reason not to give it a go.

When you're at college you'll realise that you take a lot more responsibility for your own education. You're much less likely to have people chasing you up (except maybe your personal tutor) saying that you've taken on too big a workload, you're spreading yourself too thin, etc. It'll be up to you to be adult about it, realise your strengths and weaknesses and do what's best for you.
  • Options
    A-levels are a big step up from GSCE's. Personally I'd recommend 4 at most, you don't want too much baggage.
  • Options
    They're a big step up, but you will be fine. Do the amount your tutor recommends, but no more, as they know what you can handle.

Oh, and they're called Advanced Level exams:)
  • Options
    thank you all so much.i think maybe i might have a go and i can always drop one if i find it too much.hmm im finding that prospect alittle difficult.i most usually never leave things half way.ohh and when it comes to exam time hmm .its worth a try or i could always leave it till im in univesity they have french classes for student but the dwon side is you have to pay.whereas now its fre :naughty:
  • Options
    Yea that's a good idea. They way I see it, if I had to do it again, I'd find out which were the easiest, and then pick one that I wanted to do. Because I went about it by just picking things that interested me, and you'll find some courses are A LOT harder than others, even though the a level counts the same in the end. but at the end of the day, a levels probably are more hard work than university as you're learning 4/5 subjects at once.

what are you thinking of doing afterwards, or do you have no idea?
  • Options
    Yea that's a good idea. They way I see it, if I had to do it again, I'd find out which were the easiest, and then pick one that I wanted to do. Because I went about it by just picking things that interested me, and you'll find some courses are A LOT harder than others, even though the a level counts the same in the end. but at the end of the day, a levels probably are more hard work than university as you're learning 4/5 subjects at once.

I'm the same - I basically messed up a year of my education when I could've been doing somthing else, becuse I ended up choosing hard A levels; idn't find out much about them; just chose the ones that interested me.

You have to do a minimum of 3 A Levels, but can do up to 5.
  • Options

what are you thinking of doing afterwards, or do you have no idea?

well again im finding it hard to decide what i want to become after.either a dentist or soemthing scince related that intresting (i really love biology..all about genetics and how we evolves as animals etc) dentisry doesnt focus on that much.but it pays well enough and i know all the routes to take so its like a n easy option.however i really enjoy like fashion and textiles.but te prospect of working a part time job in a pub or something to fund my life as freelance desginer makes me think i waisted my brains when i could have been studying to become something you know better.so i'm looking ath the business side of fashion.because i subsrcribe to drapers and there are some jobs were you can earn up to £75k and the minimum i've seen is 20k which is alright.so if i work hard enough i can start from there and at the end be head of something earning 75k hmmmm.sorry for going on a bit.it's nice to let it all out though. a problem shared is a problem halved.
  • Options
    I did 4 fully timetabled AS levels and one that I did for an hour and a half a week but the course lasted a year and a half rather than a year.

I'm really glad in hindsight that i did that, however at the time the workload was so intense that I was never meeting deadlines or putting in enough work, and falling asleep in class a lot/generally not paying attention.

I think that I probably could have managed if I'd managed my time better, in the second year I realised that I'd just have to sacrifice one night out a weekend just so I wasn't so tired all the time.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's very demanding and if, like me, you're a bit of a party person, you might need to chill out on that a bit and prioritise school
  • Options
    well partying isn't really my thing..i'd much rather stay in...not saying im a loser ha
  • Options
    pumakel wrote:
    well partying isn't really my thing..i'd much rather stay in...not saying im a loser ha

You'd rather concentrate on your studies than going out partying, basically?
  • Options
    pumakel wrote:
    i could always leave it till im in univesity they have french classes for student but the dwon side is you have to pay.
    You may find that you can do french as an ancillary subject as part of your degree (at no extra cost). I did a BSc in Physical Sciences and did one of my course units in Portuguese.

You could also consider doing a french evening course - a bit lighter than an A-level and they tend to be oraganised into termly phases so you could just do term one and complete that before deciding to enrol for term two.
  • Options
    I am going to make a few assumptions here, but as your considering Dentistry I'm going to guess your a fairly academic person.

My question would be why on earth are you doing textiles? I'm not knocking it as such, but I would rethink that one and do French AS level and do textiles as a hobbie. Look at some uni courses, for any subject you may be interested in, or a places that recruit fashion designers and see what they think about textiles A level. I suspect you'll find that you would be better off doing the academic subjects for A Levels and doing textiles off your own back. That way you can put hours into it when you have them, and then have a few weeks off round your exams.
  • Options
    I am going to make a few assumptions here, but as your considering Dentistry I'm going to guess your a fairly academic person.

My question would be why on earth are you doing textiles?
    OP wrote:
    however i really enjoy like fashion and textiles.but te prospect of working a part time job in a pub or something to fund my life as freelance desginer makes me think i waisted my brains when i could have been studying to become something you know better.so i'm looking ath the business side of fashion.

I know that undermines some of your question but tbh, I think with any job, an A Level to back it up may nto be essential, may not be useful - but it's an introduction to it. Who knows, he might do a year of textiles and decide he depsises the entire industry.
  • Options
    Well my suggestion would be to get work experience to learn about the industry, you'll get far more out of that than an A level could ever give you, and go for French. Especially in the business side of the industry that level of language skill will be far more highly regarded than the textiles A Level. If on the other hand you want a slightly fun course, with the fun somewhat spoilt by the attempts to turn it into a classroom subject, but your after something to do alongside you other subjects then go for it.

I would make textiles a hobbie not an A level but that's just me.

It if helps, I do Engineering and did it from A levels of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and AS F Maths and Latin, I did DT as a hobby.
  • Options
    beign totally honest i dont understand why people take A-levels to such a next level, all you need is minimum 3 a-levels there is no point wasting your time on so many subjects which, in worse case scenario, will lower your average, but unless you are reeeeeeeeeeally keen on stufying then do the subjects, but nowadays as long as you are predicted AAA you can get into the best uni, they never ask AAAAA, thats just silly.
  • Options
    Not true.

Naturally they can't ask for more A-levels than you're doing but you'll seriously improve your chances of getting into a top university if you have more than 3 a-levels.
  • Options
    It also gives you a wider range of degrees to choose from.
  • Options
    Although if your going on the top uni line, they are unlikely to count textiles.
  • Options
    hmmm i think sometimes it ok to do 5, but i do spanish and languages are REALLY time consuming - sometimes people dont think it over properly - i didnt - but when it comes down to it you are learning another language - you have to learn so many words it takes up time, my mate found AS business hard work, textiles does have a lot of coursework, chemistry is hard, and biology lots of ppl find it hard - i do it and dont really. So with your choices that would be tough - but if you wanna do i say just go for it!!
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote:
    hmmm i think sometimes it ok to do 5

At my school, it was only the really intelligent students who were able to take 5. (well, the ones who got A*s & As for GCSE)
  • Options
    you'll seriously improve your chances of getting into a top university if you have more than 3 a-levels.

Maybe so, but we're jumping the gun a bit aren't we? I think she's talking about AS Levels, in which case (time-table permitting) she should try and give all of them a shot; drop textiles and/or business if it becomes a bit tough and leave deciding how many A2s she wants to do until a bit later!

I wish I'd done more in year 12: I wanted to do History, English Lit, German and French (in the days before AS levels...) but English Lit clashed with German, which no way was I going to drop, but I didn't trundle across to my local college to give the English evening course a go until year 13, when I was up to my elbows in coursework and had a new baby brother to look after. Funnily enough I quit the evening course after a couple of months. Moral of the story: grab chances with both hands while you can :) Good luck.
  • Options
    I'd only do 4 AS levels if I were you, especially with chemistry and biology in there. I did 5 (physics, maths, technology, geography, german) but thought it was a bit much to be honest and my grades suffered, but then, everyone's different :)