Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kids on trains...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Random question....how old do you thin k a kid should be before you allow them to do a long train trip on their own?

My bro is 13.....think he is old enough. Would be a bummer if he got stranded in a dive like Crewe!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah 13 or 14 maybe.
    I'm 23 and I still get fucking confused! :p
    JamesZero wrote:
    I'm 23 and I still get fucking confused! :p

That's nowt to do with age, mate ;)

I'd say 13's about right.
    Totally depends on the kid.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Tweety wrote:
    Totally depends on the kid.
    I agree.

But I'd say 13 should be fine for the average person.
    briggi wrote:
    That's nowt to do with age, mate ;)

Shhh!! :razz:
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i used to catch the train on my own at about 14 to see my dad, which was ok, but i did used to get scared waiting around the stations in the winter...but then i think i still would today.
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    i used to catch the train on my own at about 14 to see my dad, which was ok, but i did used to get scared waiting around the stations in the winter...but then i think i still would today.

Oh yes! All the biggest fruitcakes hang around the train stations... I should know I'm the biggest one of all :razz:
    I hate waiting at train stations at night. The station at Chester, for instance, has this chill going through it, which just makes me want to leave as quickly as possible. The larger stations are slightly better. Except Manchester Piccadilly, where I was in March. Does it have to be so bloody big?
    It depends on who else is on the train.

If either 1) Bruce Willis 2) Jean Claude Van Damme 3) Steven Seagal 4) Dolph Lundgren or 5) Keith Chegwin get on, I'd be making sure that none of my loved ones got on. 1) to 4) getting on any kind of public transport means the shit is about to go down motherfucker! Hijacking! Kidnapping! Shooting! One liners!

As for 5), imagine being stuck on a train with that tit! I'd be expecting a complimentary noose......

At 13, he should be ok. I'd ake sure he had a mobile phone with him though. Just in case.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Half of them act like annoying dicks on trains.

Nah, I'd say 12-14 somewhere. Once they got a bit of sense in them... I was fine! Trains and navigation is easy shit, I walked round Prague, Berlin, and Bratislava alone as well as Lake Bled... no map half the time until I find one at a tourist info place! Haha...
    If all they have to do is sit on the train and then get off at the right station, 11. If they have to change trains etc., 13 is probably better.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Except Manchester Piccadilly, where I was in March. Does it have to be so bloody big?

Amazingly yes, because a lot of trains use it.

On a side note I wouldnt say there was a specific age that would be OK to travel alone - all depends on maturity and knowledge of the route and the railway. For example I was 12 when I started journeying alone, peace of cake because I know a lot.
    Depends on the kid, and the route.

If it's an easy route, like one train terminating where the kid is getting off, then that's a whole load different to having a four train monster of a journey with changes at big stations stretching into the night.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The larger stations are slightly better. Except Manchester Piccadilly, where I was in March. Does it have to be so bloody big?

I have never felt unsafe at Manchester Piccadilly... even at 3am shitfaced trying to sleep on a bench for the fun of it with a load of lads from Huddersfield. ;)

And it's big because it's incredibly busy.
    I have never felt unsafe at Manchester Piccadilly... even at 3am shitfaced trying to sleep on a bench for the fun of it with a load of lads from Huddersfield. ;)

And it's big because it's incredibly busy.
    I just felt unsafe from salesmen trying to sell me life insurance. Now, who was it who saw me that day again? :p
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I just felt unsafe from salesmen trying to sell me life insurance. Now, who was it who saw me that day again? :p

That would have been me - who was also getting harrassed by those cheeky young salesmen. The best way to deal with them is to let them think they've got you - and then walk away. Love it.

'So, Claire, would you just like to sign here...?'

'Actually, sorry, no... see ya!'
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I must say they had a ton of Eastern Europeans giving away Coke Zero the other week when I was at Man Picc.

Not right bright, I musta walked past the same one 6 times each time getting a free can :D
    That would have been me - who was also getting harrassed by those cheeky young salesmen. The best way to deal with them is to let them think they've got you - and then walk away. Love it.

'So, Claire, would you just like to sign here...?'

'Actually, sorry, no... see ya!'
    At first, I just pretended that I didn't have my bank details with me. Unfortunately, that didn't work. In the end, he tried his hard sale tactic of trying to get me to sign a form without even reading it. He then asked "are you interested or not?". I said "nope" and walked off. I then went off to HMV to cool off for a bit. Bastard.
    JsT wrote:
    I must say they had a ton of Eastern Europeans giving away Coke Zero the other week when I was at Man Picc.

Not right bright, I musta walked past the same one 6 times each time getting a free can :D

The best was when they were giving away these pretty chunky jars of pasta sauce. I must have had about 4... they were fucking gorgeous. :D
    stargalaxy wrote:
    At first, I just pretended that I didn't have my bank details with me. Unfortunately, that didn't work. In the end, he tried his hard sale tactic of trying to get me to sign a form without even reading it. He then asked "are you interested or not?". I said "nope" and walked off. I then went off to HMV to cool off for a bit. Bastard.

Sounds like the same guy that got me. He was a cutie though.
    JsT wrote:

I doubt it was to do with his intellegence... he was probably just being paid to get rid of them!

Like when you get given the Standard Light in London they often give you two and say one is for your friend.