Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Usa and rugby

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
right i play rugby union for a team in the uk and i know that stereotypically most americans dont play/understand rugby but is this really true??? likewise ime clueless when it comes to american football can you give me a like quick crash course in what its about?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I speak to a few Yanks on the net that play Rugby. It just aint well established over there.
    do you play it as in at school or for a club and have a match every week plus training on top of that??
    You can find out all you want to know about rugby there on this site...

http://www.usarugby.org/

And they call it rugby football, hehe
    migpilot wrote:
    And they call it rugby football, hehe

As they should, that's its proper name.

There's a lad onhere who plays rugby and is a yank, can't remember his name though. Rugby in the US isn't huge, but they do have a national rugby union team that normally plays in the world cup.
    Kermit wrote:

Didn't know that... :)
    Kermit wrote:

There's a lad onhere who plays rugby and is a yank, can't remember his name though. Rugby in the US isn't huge, but they do have a national rugby union team that normally plays in the world cup.

AllAmericanRageJunky :)
    I know a couple of yanks who play rugby. It's growing in stature. Rugby is the sport of kings - to play at least.
    anyone got any good pre season training ideas apart from the gym? remembering ive only got myself to throw the ball to most of the time?
    You should get all your contact training with your club. All you need to worry about pre-season is your fitness, that means running, swimming, cycling and the gym.
    rugby is more widespread in the USA than people think, its not on the level it is over here but most people know what it is, a lot of schools and colleges play it.

i dont like the sport much to be honest.

i prefer American Football myself, i find it more exciting on a whole, and for people who says its soft blah blah pads blah blah i dont care. i prefer the sport.

quick guide:

offensive team has 4 attempts (downs) at getting the ball 10 yards, if they fail they restart from the last successful play. say they ran 4 yards, they'd have 3 go's to get the remainding 6. throwing and running are acceptable. no tackles above shoulder high are allowed.

6 points for a TD, 1 point for kicking a succesful conversion or 2 points extra for completing another conversion over the goal line.

http://www.play-football.net/en/rules/beginnersguide.php

theres a guide there to have a look at, might explain it a bit better.
    Think wrote:
    anyone got any good pre season training ideas apart from the gym? remembering ive only got myself to throw the ball to most of the time?

Use a punchbag.
    has anybody got any good tips on being lifted/lifting in the lineout? and pack related tips?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union#Line-out <<explenation for rugby if anyone is interested