Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tesco workers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you currently work/ed @ Tesco's then this thread is for you:)

What department do you work on?
Hourly rate of pay?
Fringe benefits/staff discount?
Impression of the company?
Staffing structure?(manager, supervisor, general manager etc.)

Thanks for any info:)

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Years ago I worked in Wine and Spirits, I can't remember the pay or benifits but I do remember it was one of the worst jobs I've ever had. McDonalds was better than that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I work for one of the competitiors.
    When I was a student I worked for Tesco in a variety of departments. I stacked shelves in the Pharmacy aisle, flew a till and also did the refunds for customers on the Home Shopping dotcom department.

It was all shite. Home Shopping was probably the worst because I started work at 5 every morning.

It was all shite lol. I can agree with that. I work for Tesco now, I've been there a year and Ive done non-food, checkouts, grocery, wines and spirits, chillers, tesco express. The lot. I would say non food was probably the best place I worked. Im on £6 an hr now I have my yrs service. I couldnt rlly care less tho becoz im just doin it as a student- part time. ANd I hate customers:grump:
    Worked on produce and then dairy.
    Think I got about £5.50/hour which was ok.

Benefits were minimal but for the summer it was good money.

Mind numbingly boring and the customers look down their fucking noses at you until they realise you can actually pronouce paella and mozzarelly di buffala and tell them that squeezing a mango to check for freshness is just moronic.
    I worked for Tescos for three years, when I left in 2003 I was £5.34 an hour, I was mainly on checkouts but also did customer service (which they never paid me extra for).

Benefits are pretty shit considering the size of the company I got 10% discount after working there for a year but only when you spent over £3. I also got shares after working there for 2 years. The shares are given out in April so by the time I'd got them it had been 2 1/2 years (I started in the October). I finished in the December and because I'dheld my shares for less than a year they took them off me.

Managers were crap as well, I worked in two different stores and the managers in both stores loved the power and a lot of them liked stirring, the worst ones where the ones from were moved from checkouts to manager duties.
    What department do you work on? checkouts

Hourly rate of pay? £6.01

Fringe benefits/staff discount? what's a fringe benefit?! yeh i get 10% staff discount.

Impression of the company? good but it's declining the longer i'm there...

Staffing structure?(manager, supervisor, general manager etc.) ??

eta: i've been there 4 years and 8 months (part time!!). :|
    I currently work for Morrsions but the job i'm in has no progresssion as it's only got 4 full-time staff including me.

There is a brand new Tesco being built local to me so i'm thinking that if i can get in early then I can have a choice of potential higher job prospects than i've currently got @ the moment.

what's a fringe benefit?!

Fringe benefit = any of various benefits, as free life or health insurance, paid holidays, a pension, etc., received by an employee in addition to regular pay.
    Staffing structure?(manager, supervisor, general manager etc.) ??

Like store manager>general managers>department managers>supervisors etc
    I worked on the checkouts and my pay before i left was £6.10/ph, and i was there for 3-4years. impression was good, but i definately lost a lot of respect for them when they messed me around last summer with work.
    So they are good but not great so like any other big supermarkets.
    Crispy wrote:

Like store manager>general managers>department managers>supervisors etc

yeh i know but what about it?!

or am i being dense?
    Crispy wrote:
    So they are good but not great so like any other big supermarkets.

it really depends what the individual branch you work in is like.
    yeh i know but what about it?!

or am i being dense?

What structure does Tesco follow.

When Safeway converted to Morrisons the structure changed.
    i didn't realise you could have any other kind of structure!

manager/deputy manager
    section manager
    team leader

only ones i can think of
    shop manager, general manager, manager (of each dept of the store), team leader (of each dept)
    Ok, the structure I remember was:

Store Manager ->
    Section Manager (Fresh, ambient, etc. - they get little store phones) ->
    Department manager (Deli, Produce, Dairy, etc.) ->
    General monkeys ->
    Customers (:D)

That said, there were a load of people who thought that because they had been there 30 years, we should treat them with respect rather than pity and that they were somehow senior owing to their service there though they weren't any different from the students just doing it for the summer.

Our store manager and section managers were all complete twats. However, our department managers especially mine and the dairy one when I was on produce were quality.