Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working overtime

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, so I've been working at my local co-op for about 4 months, on a part time contract of 13 hours a week. However I don't think I've worked these hours once, i've mostly worked between 25 and 37 hours. And to add to it, I haven't called in sick once and never been more than 5 minutes late.
At first I'd get asked specifically a couple of days in advance if I could do this day or that. (certainly my favourite way, actually felt i was able to say no) Then they'd make the rota and show me it and ask if all the hours were alright with me. And give me a copy.
Then this week i haven't even had the rota mentioned to me but I looked at it myself and saw that I'm in on the evening of my bday and the morning after :shocking:

Basically I need to know what I can do or say. Those hours are not in my contract (although the morning im in im actually contracted for the evening) (and I can't work the evening instead, got more bday plans and the girl who's on that shift can't work mornings so I couldnt swap anyway) The other 2 days im working this week make up my contracted hours alone.
I feel totally taken for granted, surely I should be asked about overtime? Or have i got it all wrong? It's only a part time job untill i go to uni in October so I'm not THAT bothered about pissing them off a bit, but I'd prefer not too as I'd like to get some hours there in the holidays if it's possible.

Just does anyone have any advice? I assume I only HAVE to work 13 hours. Does anyone know the conditions involving overtime? Or have any suggestions of what to say to my manager? It's very short notice that I can't work, but I didn't get any notice that they want me to work!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry but just to add, it's not as simple as just getting another member of staff to cover or just cope without me, because we're only a tiny store with 2 staff at a time, so there just isn't really anyone to cover unless they phone round other stores.
    i would have thought if they were your contracted hours, then they are all you HAVE to do, unless you say you'll work these hours+therefore are entering into a verbal contract?
    Maybe just explain to them that you cant work that shift. Dont tel them you dont want to, explain that you cant, and as they're overtime apologise but say you cannot do it!
    Yep I would say you only HAVE to work the 13 hours a week, by doing overtime you are doing them a favour. You should definitely just say to them sorry but you're not going to be able to work those hours as its your birthday and you already made plans months ago. Let them know ASAP so it gives them time to sort something else out.
    I'm in on the evening of my bday and the morning after :shocking:

Are they even allowed to do that? I don't mean make you work on your birthday, but make you work an evening then the morning after that evening.
    There has to be eleven hours between shifts, more if you are under the age of 18. In reality you can work a late and an early, but if you finished at 10pm and were then rostered for an 8am start they would be breaking the law.

I would ask them why they did that, and ask why the work you do isn't rewarded. But if you kick up too much fuss they will simply allow you to work 13 hours every week, which is crap if you need the cash.
    You should only be expected to work your contracted hours. They should clear all overtime with you beforehand. If they wanted you to work more hours than you're contracted for, then they should contract you for more. Try giving Personnel a ring (can't remember the number offhand - should be in the bumf you got with your contract) and see what they have to say about it :)