Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Making Freshers' Fayre accessible

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all!

I'm working on a project with UCL Union to make the Freshers' Fayre more accessible to students with sight or learning-related disability (dyslexia, dyspraxia).

I've put together an info sheet and designed a sample accessible flyer, printed with well-spaced text on lilac paper in font size 14, following guidelines on where to put images, etc.

I would like eventually to put a CD together, or some online audio files. Is there anything else I can think about?

Physical access needs are also a problem but, sadly, that's something we'd have to take up with College. I hope to be able to do that at some point but it might not happen before the end of September.

Sooooo... yes. Ideas welcome!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Maybe get the leaflets printed on different colours- for example, my little brother uses a yellowy-gold sort of colour as a background, im sure others use a pale green. sometimes bolder colours are needed for the contrast too. I worked for Bucks Association for the Blind and the colours of paper they had were a large range of pastels and brights.

as for accessibility: main points are to keep access routes open- ie don't put stands/chairs in the way, they're not easily seen, and im sure wheelchair users could have difficulties if it blocked their way.

highligh permanent problems- again, contrasting. In many places here stairs have a different coloured strips on the edge of each step etc. do you get what i mean? make sure glass doors are clearly highlighted n stuff..

so i've mainly done that from a Visually Impaired persons point of view... but maybe it'll help!
  • Options
    Thanks that's v helpful! NUS SWD suggested that if we have to use a uniform colour, lilac is the best. I don't know why particularly lilac but there you go.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    piccolo wrote:
    Thanks that's v helpful! NUS SWD suggested that if we have to use a uniform colour, lilac is the best. I don't know why particularly lilac but there you go.

:yes:

Black writing on white is quite difficult for dyslexic people to read. Have learnt this from experience. This is why whiteboards aren't as good in classrooms as blackboards.
  • Options
    draw pictures / cartoons instead of writing ?
  • Options
    :yes:

Black writing on white is quite difficult for dyslexic people to read. Have learnt this from experience. This is why whiteboards aren't as good in classrooms as blackboards.
    Yeah I'm aware of the tint between 1-30% thing, I jsut don't know why they suggest lilac rather than, say, blue. *shrug*

And Otter, the problem is that they have a lot of info to communicate that's why I've suggested larger format rather than trying to replace the text.