Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

alternatives to the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm currently taking microgynon 30. i first started taking this purely because my periods are hellish (very very heavy, very long, and ultra painful), but i now take them for contraceptive purposes as well. I have had scans to see if i have endomitriosis, which i don't and my family has a long history of gynocological problems (i.e. the fact i was naturally concieved is a complete miracle). At first, i got on really well with them, but now i'm not having such a great time of them and i'm worried about the future side effects of taking them, and to be honest i'm not great at taking them on bang on time. i'm now looking at alternatives to the pill that will be available to me as i can't use a internal device (and not particularly want to), and GPs seems to be very reluctant to prescribe much else other than the pill. me and my partner do use other contraception, but we prefer to double up to be safe rather than sorry. to be honest, if i could come off the pill all together, and use something else that would fully protect us and stop the god awful pain, then it would me great, but i don't really know what other options i have (well i do but not the risks, and if i could actually use them)

does anyone have any ideas as to what is now available, and what the advantages and disadvantages are, and any personal experiances would be great.

Comments

• Options
    Have you thought about injection? Implant? - were they put a tiny rubber tube in your arm. They are supposed to stop your periods altogether tho.
  • Options
    Briony wrote:
    Have you thought about Implant? - were they put a tiny rubber tube in your arm. They are supposed to stop your periods altogether tho.

Don't they last for about 3 years or something?
  • Options
    I dont actually know - some people have told me 3 months, and some 3 years!!:confused:
  • Options
    (Implant is approx 3 years. Injection is 8-12 weeks depending on type. They can change your periods and for some people they stop altogether).

twisted_trinity - have you considered a different type of pill if that one doesn't suit you?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i used to be on logynon and never had a problem, but now i am on microgynon, i am eating like a pig, snapping at everyone, crying at the smallest thing, my periods are heavier and i still have bad period pain...im thinking maybe both you and i should change pills my dear!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    i used to be on logynon and never had a problem, but now i am on microgynon, i am eating like a pig, snapping at everyone, crying at the smallest thing, my periods are heavier and i still have bad period pain...im thinking maybe both you and i should change pills my dear!
    Why did you come off logynon then? (If you don't mind me asking)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Why did you come off logynon then? (If you don't mind me asking)
    nosey aint you! :p
    i moved to my dads and didnt have a doctor, so just never got a repeat prescription. when i was going on this pill she asked me how good i was at taking it, and when i told her i was utterly rubbish at remembering she said microgynon was best as it has a 12hour gap thingy! do you know if microgynon is the only one that has this? Also, with the injection, what happens? do you just not release eggs? and if not where are they stored? or do you just not make them...this has had me baffled for many a year!

(sorry twisted_trinity im just hogging your thread! :p )
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    nosey aint you! :p
    i moved to my dads and didnt have a doctor, so just never got a repeat prescription. when i was going on this pill she asked me how good i was at taking it, and when i told her i was utterly rubbish at remembering she said microgynon was best as it has a 12hour gap thingy! do you know if microgynon is the only one that has this? Also, with the injection, what happens? do you just not release eggs? and if not where are they stored? or do you just not make them...this has had me baffled for many a year!

(sorry twisted_trinity im just hogging your thread! :p )
    Yep, I'm nosey :p

You do know that the pill prevents you releasing eggs too?! They just stay put where they are.

I take Marvelon which also gives up to 12 hours to remember to take it.
  • Options
    cilest gives you 12 hours too, i'm on it and i had an awful first month and have had absolutely no side effects since then. definetely worth trying!:yes:
  • Options
    my mate is on cilest, i didnt think it was like that. she has never had trouble on it, ive been on it 3 months now, so id have thought id have settled down by now. i might speak to dr next time i go. i still have 3 months left now, so ill keep on going for now.
    but thanks.
    oh and randomgirl, dont mind at all! :p so does that mean im not using up all my eggs then? i know this might sound odd, but i didnt realise it. what causes the bleeding then?
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    oh and randomgirl, dont mind at all! :p so does that mean im not using up all my eggs then? i know this might sound odd, but i didnt realise it. what causes the bleeding then?
    Nope. But then you would never use up all your eggs anyway as you have more than you would every use in your whole life time! The bleeding is somewhat artificial and isn't a "real" period.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Nope. But then you would never use up all your eggs anyway as you have more than you would every use in your whole life time! The bleeding is somewhat artificial and isn't a "real" period.
    aah thank you for clearing that up! what a waste though eh! not using them all :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    (Implant is approx 3 years. Injection is 8-12 weeks depending on type. They can change your periods and for some people they stop altogether).

Yeah that's true. My implant has meant I've had a pretty much nonstop period since I had it in, but recently it's been slowing down - as though its the end of my peiod (I've hit the three month mark) so I've been recommended to see if it stops altogether, as they think I might not have a period after that :hyper: :hyper: It is actually different hormones to the pill though - good for forgetful people as well.
  • Options
    The pill doesn't prevent the formation of the uterine lining, only thinning it somewhat. Description of it as not a "real" period is somewhat misleading, it's still the same process as a natural period but in a reduced amount due to the effects of the hormone(s).
  • Options
    Just a question Twisted_Trinity... what scans did you have to rule out endo? Cos it rarely shows up on scans unless its in the form of a cyst, usually the only way they can diagnose is through surgery...

Have you thought about asking your doctor about the Mirena coil? I've heard that can be a good alternative to taking the pill.
  • Options
    Erm, im on Microgynon 30 too but i didnt know that you had to take it at the same time everyday. I usually take it just before i go to bed which could be anytime................is this ok?:confused:
  • Options
    Netty wrote:
    Erm, im on Microgynon 30 too but i didnt know that you had to take it at the same time everyday. I usually take it just before i go to bed which could be anytime................is this ok?:confused:
    yeah coz you have 12 hours to take it. you dont have to take it at the same time at all, its all fine! dont worry petal! just carry on taking it at bedtime, unless sometimes you go to bed at 12pm and sometimes at 4am i dont see a problem
  • Options
  • Options
    Incidentally, this is why women who have a lot of pregnancies or who use hormonal contraceptives are less likely to get ovarian cancers. The fewer eggs you release, the less likely you are to develop it.
    oooh thats good to know, thanks love!
  • Options
    Incidentally, this is why women who have a lot of pregnancies or who use hormonal contraceptives are less likely to get ovarian cancers. The fewer eggs you release, the less likely you are to develop it.
    Isn't it likely, though, that certain hormone pills increase the risk of breast cancers? 6 or 2*3...
  • Options
    bogbrush up your vadge :thumb:

sorry.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Isn't it likely, though, that certain hormone pills increase the risk of breast cancers?
    Yes this is true. But (for the pill I am on at least) the increase is really not that high to the extent that the doctor still though it was the best thing for me despite a family history of breast cancer.
  • Options
    There is an increased risk of breast cancer, but it is suppossed to subside once you stop taking it. I have a family history of it and I'm still on the pill as its the most effective conteception method.

To Twised-Trinity, have you had polycystic ovarian sydome (PCOS) ruled out? I have it and it caused me a lot of problems (and still does) until I went on the pill. Problem is you HAVE to go on the comined pill not the mini pill, as the mini pill makes the symptoms worse, which does catch some people out if they dont know that they are suffering from it.
  • Options
    i had what they call invasive ultrasound, which aparently can show any scar tissue. I have had PCOS ruled out, as i lost a substancial amount of weight and symptoms didn't subside (but my IBS got worse, weird but anyway). I can't have any internal device like a coil, because my mum had problems major problems, and was told that I would most likely have similar problems.

i'm thinking about the implant, but i was a bit off put by one person saying that they were bleeding for 3 months!

i'm still unsure as to what to do...