Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bombs on planes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    luke88 wrote:
    No, I am suggesting you accept Islamic terrorism, but you won't accept the 'war on terror' for instance.
    What do you mean I 'accept Islamic terrorism'?

Stop making things up.
    I am fed up of the soft treatment muslims get. It angers me.
    Pray tell, what treatment would you like to see Muslims get? :rolleyes:
    seeker wrote:
    And how is that different to putting on a costume(say khaki in colour), grabbing a gun and being prepared to kill AND DIE for " your country" ?

The difference is that a soldier doesn't go into battle knowing he is going to die.
    A suicide bomber does.
    A soldier is prepared to die because it's his duty as a soldier and he knows it might happen.
    A suicide bomber is prepared to die because he will make sure he does.
    Aladdin wrote:
    What do you mean I 'accept Islamic terrorism'?
    I think you eem to justify, or at least give reasons for their actions, without giving reason for the side either.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Pray tell, what treatment would you like to see Muslims get? :rolleyes:
    EQUAL treatment, instead of better treatment.
    luke88 wrote:
    That is My definition. The current response to terrorism is targeting islamic terrorism.

How the hell did you figure that one out?
    An attack by an islamic terrorist organization might have instigated it but the war itself is not against islamic terrorist organization specifically.
    luke88 wrote:
    If he made a racist comment when he is drunk or off his head on the nasty stuff i.e drugs then i suggest he should not take drugs as he can't, well obviously, handle them. It will get him into trouble one day.

:lol:

Sorry mate, don't do drugs.
    migpilot wrote:
    The difference is that a soldier doesn't go into battle knowing he is going to die.
    A suicide bomber does.

That answer suggests that the only difference is that one of them can predict the future.(A prophet!)

migpilot wrote:
    A soldier is prepared to die because it's his duty as a soldier and he knows it might happen.

I don`t understand.

Does the putting on of a costume create a duty ? To whom exactly ?
    seeker wrote:
    That answer suggests that the only difference is that one of them can predict the future.(A prophet!)

Are you serious? What is a suicide bomber, seeker?
    I don`t understand.

Does the putting on of a costume create a duty ? To whom exactly ?

costume...:thumb:

What's a job description of a soldier, seeker?
    migpilot wrote:
    Are you serious? What is a suicide bomber, seeker?

costume...:thumb:

What's a job description of a soldier, seeker?

Help me out if you can ?

Someone straps a bomb to themselves. Would they do that if they could drop it out of a plane, or fire it with the help of a weapon?

So is it in the delivery method of the murder ?

As for the costume, I have no idea why some people feel the need to put it on before they go killing. Perhaps it lessens the effect of the killing ? I`m only guessing. You would be better off if you asked someone who had murdered wearing one of those costumes. Assuming they would be truthful, of course.
    seeker wrote:
    Help me out if you can ?

Sorry, I am not qualified. ;)
    Seriously, will try to.
    Someone straps a bomb to themselves. Would they do that if they could drop it out of a plane, or fire it with the help of a weapon?

If someone was able to get into a mind of a suicide bomber, maybe few of them would be successful? There are serious strategic obstacles in him being able to get a big weapon on a bus without being noticed first... If he could have a plane, would he drop a bomb out of the plane or drive the plane into something? Who knows.
    I believe that a person strapping a bomb to themselves does so to make a point and considers it necessary for himself to make a sacrifice for his/hers cause.
    So is it in the delivery method of the murder ?

No.
    As for the costume, I have no idea why some people feel the need to put it on before they go killing. Perhaps it lessens the effect of the killing ? I`m only guessing. You would be better off if you asked someone who had murdered wearing one of those costumes. Assuming they would be truthful, of course.

To make them discernable from their enemies and civilians?
    Doesn't lessen the effect of killing, but I am sure it gives them a sense of purpose.

Yes, assuming they would be truthful. But then again, you can say that about anyone, anywhere, anytime...
    migpilot wrote:
    If someone was able to get into a mind of a suicide bomber, maybe few of them would be successful?

What about someone who you describe as "a soldier". Would they be less successful at killing ?

migpilot wrote:
    I believe that a person strapping a bomb to themselves does so to make a point and considers it necessary for himself to make a sacrifice for his/hers cause.

Similarly, does that belief apply to the individual that you label "a soldier" ?
    luke88 wrote:
    I think you eem to justify, or at least give reasons for their actions, without giving reason for the side either.
    Er... no not quite.
    EQUAL treatment, instead of better treatment.
    Why do you think muslims get better treatment than others?

That surely is news to most people.
    seeker wrote:
    What about someone who you describe as "a soldier". Would they be less successful at killing ?

A soldier would ultimately be better at killing because he has superior training and weaponry. What's your point?

Similarly, does that belief apply to the individual that you label "a soldier" ?

No, because a soldier DOESN'T want to die.
    migpilot wrote:
    If someone was able to get into a mind of a suicide bomber, maybe few of them would be successful? There are serious strategic obstacles in him being able to get a big weapon on a bus without being noticed first... If he could have a plane, would he drop a bomb out of the plane or drive the plane into something? Who knows.
    But that doesn't necessarily mean they doing it because they expect to be rewarded with 72 virgins. A few might- others won't.

There is also a tactical reason to consider. This doesn't apply everywhere, but in places like Israel where security is ultra tight, wearing a bomb belt and detonating it on your person is about the only way they're going to manage to smuggle explosives into Israel and be allowed to board a bus/ enter a shopping mall.
    migpilot wrote:
    A suicide bomber does.

So the difference is that a soldier is prepared to kill without dying himself?

The raison d'etre of a soldier is to kill in order to protect his paymasters interests. What, therefore, is the difference between the Hamas suicide bomber and the IDF soldier?

What is the difference between the suicide bomber who blows up a child and the IDF soldier who shot a ten-year-old girl in the head whilst she was sitting at her schooldesk in an UN-controlled building?

On a wider scale too, what is the difference between the British squaddie who wears green and kills people for Britain and, say, the Provo who wears green and kills for his idea of Ireland?

And since we're on the subject of racism, Lukesh, I'm still awaiting your condemnation of that particular atrocity. Or does the fact she's a dirty paki make it alright in your book?
    Aladdin wrote:
    But that doesn't necessarily mean they doing it because they expect to be rewarded with 72 virgins. A few might- others won't.

There is also a tactical reason to consider. This doesn't apply everywhere, but in places like Israel where security is ultra tight, wearing a bomb belt and detonating it on your person is about the only way they're going to manage to smuggle explosives into Israel and be allowed to board a bus/ enter a shopping mall.

I never said they were doing it for 72 virgins.

And I was gonna write about the tactical aspects of suicide bombing in Israel but decided not to. Pretty much what you said there.

Kermit wrote:
    So the difference is that a soldier is prepared to kill without dying himself?

Not quite. The soldier is prepared to kill and be killed, but doesn't want to die.
    Kermit wrote:
    The raison d'etre of a soldier is to kill in order to protect his paymasters interests. What, therefore, is the difference between the Hamas suicide bomber and the IDF soldier who shot an anti-war protestor in the head?

The difference is that the Hamas suicide bombers believe in the morality of what they are doing, while the soldier is not even thinking about the morality of killing. He is just doing what he has been told to do.
    Kermit wrote:
    What is the difference between the suicide bomber who blows up a child and the IDF soldier who shot a ten-year-old girl in the head whilst she was sitting at her schooldesk in an UN-controlled building?

Again, the suicide bomber believes in the morality of his actions and even if they don't they feel that have no choice. The soldier who kills the schoolgirl at her desk obviously has no morals and is a cold blooded killer.
    migpilot wrote:
    The difference is that the Hamas suicide bombers believe in the morality of what they are doing, while the soldier is not even thinking about the morality of killing. He is just doing what he has been told to do.

Again, the suicide bomber believes in the morality of his actions and even if they don't they feel that have no choice. The soldier who kills the schoolgirl at her desk obviously has no morals and is a cold blooded killer.

Very black-and-white that, and not very accurate either. Morality has no place in the discussion, not least because I'm sure many soldiers believe they are doing the right thing.

There is no difference between the Hamas "soldier" and the IDF "soldier". Both kill for the profit of their paymasters. The difference between the two sides is that Israel have the power in this conflict, they have the power to withdraw and call peace, but they choose not to use it because the Israeli government and their collaborators in the UK and US feel it more profitable to murder thousands of people instead. There's no money in peace.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Turlough doesn't.

As the mod pointed out at the time his latest outburst isn't the first on these boards...There's been various instances, the excuse that he was 'drunk' doesn't excuse repeated anti-Semitic comments and I doubt he was even drunk in every instance...

Given that you don't think anti-Semitism (or racism?) is a big deal if someone is drunk what do you make of the Mel Gibson story? Or the Russian pogroms? I mean the perpetrators were mainly ordinary Russians riled up with propaganda and vodka by the Holy League. Or is it only a problem if somebody acts upon such views?
    You're really quite boring, aren't you?

OMFGZ he sed sumfin nasty!
    Kermit wrote:

Slightly hypocritical since you (falsely) accused me of having an anti-Muslim agenda...:rolleyes:
    Kermit wrote:
    Very black-and-white that, and not very accurate either. Morality has no place in the discussion, not least because I'm sure many soldiers believe they are doing the right thing.

I reserve the right to my opinion.

Also we are not talking about IDF soldiers. We are talking about suicide bombers, which is what I've tried to stick to.
    If you are suggesting that a suicide bomber and an IDF soldier are one and the same, you are, well entitled to your own conclusions, but I think you are very much wrong.

The difference between the two sides is that Israel have the power in this conflict, they have the power to withdraw and call peace, but they choose not to use it because the Israeli government and their collaborators in the UK and US feel it more profitable to murder thousands of people instead. There's no money in peace.

Have I said anything about this in this discussion? Don't think so.... It's a whole different discussion.
    Slightly hypocritical since you (falsely) accused me of having an anti-Muslim agenda...:rolleyes:

Well you do.

Unless I blinked and missed the condemnation of Stoke's resident fruitloop during your little anti-racism march?
    Kermit wrote:
    You're really quite boring, aren't you?

oh my fucking god, you're like soooooo not funny :yeees:
    Hiya Jacq, I was wondering when you'd drop by.

Still no word on condemning the IDF for shooting a ten-year-old girl sat at her desk? I've only been asking you to condemn it for two years.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Or the Russian pogroms? I mean the perpetrators were mainly ordinary Russians riled up with propaganda and vodka by the Holy League. Or is it only a problem if somebody acts upon such views?

No, they were funded and intiated by the Autorities, under orders from the Tsar.

THAT is why they happened. Could at least get your facts right.
    Kermit wrote:
    Hiya Jacq, I was wondering when you'd drop by.

Still no word on condemning the IDF for shooting a ten-year-old girl sat at her desk? I've only been asking you to condemn it for two years.

I really don't get what your problem is. Have countless of times stated that I am against the targetting on civilians.
    luke88 wrote:
    Israeli is a race and majority of Israelis are jews.

'Israeli' is not a race, moron. You'll find black jews, white european jews (Khazars) and semitic jews in Israel.
    Spliffie wrote:
    'Israeli' is not a race, moron. You'll find black jews, white european jews (Khazars) and semitic jews in Israel.

Thankyou for saying that.

Maybe, but behind a hell of a lot of critiscism of Israel lurks a latent anti-semitism.
    Maybe, but behind a hell of a lot of critiscism of Israel lurks a latent anti-semitism.

not in my criticism :s

Not mine.

Any nation that acted in the Manner Israel does would get stick from me. Hence, I am thourougly fed up with America and the UK administations too at the moment.

But we don't have any fucking choice in the General elections. The Conservatives support New Labours policies on pissing off the whole Mid-East too.