Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

lost wallet at shopping centre and returned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
no money back as expected, however should my gf go about getting new bankcards etc despite fact it was only lost for about an hour (lakeside)

(i say get it replaced myself)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well it will probably take a whole grand 10 minutes to get every card replaced, so why not. Best be safe.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i'd definately recommend it, best to be safe than sorry.
    who knows what someone wrote down.
    My mum's debit card was copied in the time it takes to put in her number in the chip and pin. So it's all too possible for it to be copied and being used in Sri lanka as we speak, so yeh, get them replaced.
    my NI card was in my wallet as well, could that cause problems?
    my NI card was in my wallet as well, could that cause problems?

Oh, I've just learned of a couple :heart:

Sorry no advice :(
    bit late! we've been going out publicly on here for over a year and a half

had other half taking pictures of my boobs (and other peoples) at the last london meet
    had other half taking pictures of my boobs (and other peoples) at the last london meet
    :eek2: why does that not surprise me?!
    Yeah, I'd get all the bank cards replaced.
    i have no idea what happened to my NI card. I dont think ive had it since i was about 16 or 17. It has never caused me any problems, but then again, i know my number off by heart anyway.
    As the NI card isn't proof of ID it shouldn't cause too many problems, but it might be worth ringing the Inland Revenue just to make sure.

Cancel all bank cards that have been out of your sight. You don't know who had them- and if the person is cuntish enough to empty the cash, I expect they would try to make an imprint of the card for future use.
    Kermit wrote:
    Cancel all bank cards that have been out of your sight. You don't know who had them- and if the person is cuntish enough to empty the cash, I expect they would try to make an imprint of the card for future use.
    :yes: gotta' say i agree with that.
    Cancel the cards to be on the safe side, yes its a massive pain in the arse but better then ID fraud! Not sure about the NI card, proabably best to phone the general advice line from the website and tell them its been lost and ask for a replacement.

Oh god I remember that! Why I agreed to do that I dont know.
    tbh i doubt anything would happen anyway, as you say it was only gone for about an hour. And to the people who say if someone would take money out of a wallet would also commit fraud i say you're wrong.
    If you found a tenner on the floor somewhere you'd keep it, if you found a credit card would you really buy stuff with it?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    icey wrote:
    tbh i doubt anything would happen anyway, as you say it was only gone for about an hour. And to the people who say if someone would take money out of a wallet would also commit fraud i say you're wrong.
    If you found a tenner on the floor somewhere you'd keep it, if you found a credit card would you really buy stuff with it?
    Tbh though, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't like my cards out of my sight. I had a nasty incident where someone, somehow, got my card details and took £1000 out of my account. I would *definitely* be cancelling the cards. If the person who handed in the wallet or whatever took the money how can you trust them not to have taken something else?
    i know you cant trust them not to so cancelling and getting new cards is the safer option, but there is a big jump from stealing a few quid out an abandoned wallet to committing fraud worth thousands of pounds. thats like comparing shoplifting a few sweets from a newsagents to a bank robbery
    It's not really, if someone goes to the trouble of emptying a wallet before handing it back then they are quite capable of skimming a card for further theft.

And for the record, no, I wouldn't take money out of someone's wallet before handing it in. But then, unlike a lot of people these days, I actually have some morals.