Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The New Handbagage Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think of them?

Sensible precautions or just over kill, i.e. things like you must now carry your belongings in a clear plastic bag, glasses can be carried but not in a case?

You can take babies milk but gotta drink it infront of an airport offical?

Laptop must now be checked into the hold (wider how many would survive that trip or how manye xtra bags would go missing)

I think it's overkill .. most people were probabaly more likely to have gotten killed ontheir way to the airport then on the plane by a terrorist.

I think more sniffer dogs at airports, investment in high tech machinery, scanners, etc is the way to go.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In the present circumstances, I think that the new precautions are sensible.
    They're not laws, just police guidelines, and they are simply designed to remind everyone that they are meant to be scared of the bogeyman.
    I fucking hope that it's only temporary. When moving from country to country, those extra 10 kilos allowed in the handluggage are essential.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You can take babies milk but gotta drink it infront of an airport offical?
    Even if the baby breastfeeds? :p
    Corrupt luggage handlers must be rubbing their hands with anticipation. All those expensive laptops, digital cameras and camcorders now being forced to be put in the luggage...
    Aladdin wrote:
    Corrupt luggage handlers must be rubbing their hands with anticipation. All those expensive laptops, digital cameras and camcorders now being forced to be put in the luggage...

I'm more afraid about a laptop being broken if sent with the regular baggage - it just gets thrown around by the people who move it around.
    They're fucking bullshit of course.
    Load of shite.

Out of interest, can you take books, newspapers etc on board or is even that kind of thing restricted? I find flights hideously tedious even if they're short-haul and I can bring all manner of shiny, entertaining things on with me.
    You can take stuff on board that you have bought in the airport after checking-in. On air-side, or whatever they call it.
    Incidentally, didn't a man once get caught trying to light a bomb in his shoe? Maybe we should ban shoes as well?
    You can take stuff on board that you have bought in the airport after checking-in. On air-side, or whatever they call it.
    Hmm, there's a surprise. :rolleyes: They want to make everyone feel scared, but they can't risk upsetting WHSmith can they?

Cheers :thumb:

I suppose that's not quite so bad, but still one hell of an inconvenience unless they're upping the hold baggage allowance to take into account that you can't pack extra pairs of undercrackers in your hand luggage (always fun when your bag gets searched :p ).
    Hmm, there's a surprise. :rolleyes: They want to make everyone feel scared, but they can't risk upsetting WHSmith can they?

Well it's no real difference to buying a magazine from Tesco and taking it with you, is there? Same price. Doesn't bother me, anyway.
    briggi wrote:
    Cheers :thumb:

I suppose that's not quite so bad, but still one hell of an inconvenience unless they're upping the hold baggage allowance to take into account that you can't pack extra pairs of undercrackers in your hand luggage (always fun when your bag gets searched :p ).

When I went to New York they searched my luggage... I don't think it would have been possible for me to take any more kinky underwear/body chocolate/random sex stuff in my bag. I was only 17 on my first holiday with my first proper boyfriend... I nearly died of embarrassment in the middle of Manchester Airport. :thumb:
    When I went to New York they searched my luggage... I don't think it would have been possible for me to take any more kinky underwear/body chocolate/random sex stuff in my bag. I was only 17 on my first holiday with my first proper boyfriend... I nearly died of embarrassment in the middle of Manchester Airport. :thumb:

:lol::lol::lol:

You nympho, I love it! Sod's law though, most definitely...
    Incidentally, didn't a man once get caught trying to light a bomb in his shoe? Maybe we should ban shoes as well?

They do check shoes, at one airport ages ago they were making my cousin's flight remove all their shoes and sticking them in the xray machines.

And laptops in the hold - I've only ever done that once ...when my uncle in Canada gave me a free 486 laptop and I'd already gotten my own Pentium 3 laptop with me.

My own more valuable laptop I took myself in hand luggage and the old 486 went in the hold ... but laptops of that age were built like tanks and even had it's own internal power supply, today the materials are thinner and screens more delicate and going into some foreign countries I won't be surprised if the entire suitcases with laptops go missing and as far as I remember airlines only have to reimburse passengers for lost luggage based on the weight of the bag not the actual value of the contents.

I bet the no liquid rule is good for airlines profits, means you have to buy their drinks onboard if it's not included in the ticket price. And of course they'll probabaly stop you taking onboad anything to eat like chocolate bars, etc.
    fucking.overkill.

cant even listen to music on the plane, normal people are being punished for what terrorists could potentially do =\
    muse- wrote:
    fucking.overkill.

cant even listen to music on the plane, normal people are being punished for what terrorists could potentially do =\

Oh Yeah I didn't think of that, no MP3 players - without music of my own flights seems to go on forever, and the music on the planes is just crap.

This whole thing is just crazy, airport bring in Billions ever year so hey should simply fork out for the extra security if they're that worried rather then take us back 100 years in time and tell us not to bring anything with us.

The whole point of terrorism is if you're made to change your daily lives then they've already won, we never had any of these measure when the IRA were putting bombs here there and everywhere over 20 years, so why now?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:

Black Market will be filled with nice electronics now!
    I think the grab-a-bag system of baggage collection is wrong anyway. I would much prefer a collection system where you are checked collecting baggage too. Even without valuable items the total value of a suitcase or backpack and its general contents is often very high so the opportunity for theft is too easy and stupid people may take the wrong bag by accident.
    Seriously, I agree that the security at airports needs to be better and a version of these measures needs to be introduced, but what you really need for this is more machiines and more trained staff, which Heathrow for instance doesn't have right now. They were caught with their pants down and the government is not helping.

If I was travelling abroad, I would FedEx all my valuables I would normally have in my hand luggage to my destination, I would not put them in the cargo hold!!

The government is obviously using the situation to scaremonger, but that ain't nothing new.
    They werent enforcing those new laws coming into the UK on thursday so i really doubt theyl b around for very long.

When i flew home on thursday i had a massive bag and 2 bottles of drink with me and nothing was said, they were only scanned once and that was it.

bit worrying
    Why is everyone saying its "worrying" that the Government are not going even more ridiculously OTT with the infringements of civil liberties?

You lot fucking terrify me. Little sheeple meekly heading to the slaughter you are.
    Kermit wrote:
    Why is everyone saying its "worrying" that the Government are not going even more ridiculously OTT with the infringements of civil liberties?

You lot fucking terrify me. Little sheeple meekly heading to the slaughter you are.

haha i've given up posting on here, and on other forums also, seriously i've had people give as their response "i'd give give over more basic rights so the government can keep us safe"

it's really nightmareish, people really have been trained over the pat 10 years into passing all their responsibilities and rights over to those who only care about power
    i thought the general concensus was that the new laws are wrong :s

anyway apparently theyre allowing mp3 players as of tommorow morning, which is very good news :D
    Even if the baby breastfeeds? :p

Well there is a solution .. pump your own on the plane ...

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/images/staple_inset_big.jpg
    You have to be able to produce a receipt proving you bought it in the Departure Lounge though.

To the person who mentioned banning shoes: there are actually rules about those. If you're wearing footwear with a thick sole you have to remove them & put them through the X-ray machine. And yeah, they don't overlook them - I always fly in my platforms (they take up too much space in my suitcase), & I get asked to remove them every single time.

The really stupid thing is that for all the insanely draconian restrictions, I'll bet MacGuyver could still blow up the plane with a passport & some milk. :yes: