Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interview/notice period

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Weird situation here.

Basically, I've got an interview tomorrow at 9am that I've literally just found out about. Better job, shitload better pay, the lot. It's the only time they can really do it, and if I'm lucky enough to get the job (I'll find out straight away) then the only day I can start is Monday.

I'm supposed to give a weeks notice to the place I'm at justnow, but obviously that aint gonna be possible. I'll definetley be in work tomorrow after my interview, as it's somebody's leaving do after work anyway, suppose now it could be a double one.

What's the best strategy then? Do I say anything to my team leader now, or should I wait?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Bri-namite,
    Good to hear you've got the chance to get a better job - sounds like it's created a bit of a dilemma for you though.

This article might be a bit of help. It does say you are legally obliged to work your notice if it is in your contract, but you might be able to work something out with your employer - even if it means losing a bit of your pay by leaving early, it might be worth it if you end up in a better job with more money in the long term.

Obviously if you do decide to leave without working your notice, do still do your best to leave on the best possible terms with your employer. It's up to you whether you tell your supervisor about the interview today or not - but if you do and nothing comes of it, it might make things a bit awkward - so perhaps waiting until you know more after the interview might be a better option.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with the interview!

Lucielu
    Have you got holiday you could use?
    why is that the only day u can start if you get this new job? seems abit daft since i thought all application forms had on them a bit saying "notice required to give to current employer"
    If there is no way round it, use any outstanding holiday to cover your notice period, or offer to have the time off unpaid, which is really worth it if you want that job as much as you say you do.
    Told the boss in the end, he went a bit mental because he'd seen me using the internet at work to look for a new job, but he was sound and even signed my leaving card :eek:

Looks like I'll still be getting all my pay, holiday pay and about £400 in bonuses too.

:thumb:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Good stuff :thumb:

What's the new job?
    YAY!

3 is sooooooo where it's at mofo. What dept you going into?! ROIIIIIIIIIII, come to ROIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! :D

Well done, poppet.

Oh hey, did you say I recommended you as well? I do fancy £400 extra, btw.
    1983 wrote:
    Oh hey, did you say I recommended you as well? I do fancy £400 extra, btw.

:yes:

I think she said I was going on mailbox, whatever that means :confused:

Start on Monday, which is weird. Happened well fast. Away to get wasted with my ex-workmates thenow :crying:
    Bri-namite wrote:
    :yes:

I think she said I was going on mailbox, whatever that means :confused:

Start on Monday, which is weird. Happened well fast. Away to get wasted with my ex-workmates thenow :crying:

YAY! Mailbox is brill, you just answer emails/letters all day. What dept for mailbox you working in? Channel/Tech?

Ooh where you off to get drunk?
    1983 wrote:
    YAY! Mailbox is brill, you just answer emails/letters all day. What dept for mailbox you working in? Channel/Tech?

Ooh where you off to get drunk?

Dunno, I think she just said mailbox.

I think Majamas (apparently), do you fancy one when you finish? Away to run, text me :yes:
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Dunno, I think she just said mailbox.

I think Majamas (apparently), do you fancy one when you finish? Away to run, text me :yes:

Ah, Mojamas!

I'd love to pop out, but I was at a leaving do last night for my old TL and I had too much borboun.

Definitely go for one after payday, which btw is the 25th of each month. :)