You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Vitamins for Vegetarians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do any of you who are vegetarian take vitamins?
I've been vegetarian for about 10 years and I used to take multivitamins when I was younger but I don't really bother anymore.

Thing is, I'm tired loads of the time and have been anaemic in the past (can't spell it!) due to lack or iron. I've taken B vitamins, iron and some kind of flaxseed oil (the veggie version of fish omega 3) a couple of years ago, however I'm forgetful so it never lasts long.

I'm trying to get into a routine of taking vitamins now hoping that it might make me less tired and a bit less pale! Which ones does everyone take here, if any? :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not a veggie, but:
    Aren't there other foods you can have (as a veggie) which will give you iron and whatnot?
    I take a zinc supplement and a few others but they're nothing to do with my vegetarianism, really.

I did take iron tablets and a multivitamin for years but now I do try and get all my nutrients from food, I do take a multi mineral tablet when I remember (rarely) to supplement things like magnesium and also calcium since I don't drink half as much milk or eat nearly as many dairy products as I once did.
    Spinach, tastes better than an iron tablet.
    briggi wrote:
    I take a zinc supplement and a few others but they're nothing to do with my vegetarianism, really.

I did take iron tablets and a multivitamin for years but now I do try and get all my nutrients from food, I do take a multi mineral tablet when I remember (rarely) to supplement things like magnesium and also calcium since I don't drink half as much milk or eat nearly as many dairy products as I once did.

all sorts of supplements now :yes:
    Im not a vegi but I still supplement with a shit load of vitamins. :yes:
    i also drink about a pint of milk every day
    MrG wrote:
    I drink 4 pints. :razz:
    MrG wrote:

I used to get told off for that.:o
    Ooh! Flaxseed oil?! I really need to up on the omega 3 but I don't wanna eat fishness cause I'm veggie too.

So what's this flaxseed oil stuff? Does it come in a format that tastes nice?
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Ooh! Flaxseed oil?! I really need to up on the omega 3 but I don't wanna eat fishness cause I'm veggie too.

So what's this flaxseed oil stuff? Does it come in a format that tastes nice?
    Here a faq on Flax seed
    Huh... Thanks!
    i'm vegetarian and yes i do. just an ordinary multivitamin. i don't do it because i'm veggie tho' - i've always done it.
    one annoying things i found about being vegan was where to get calcium from - i'm over that now tho'. :razz:
    dark green veg and marmite (not together; work wonders :yes: )
    might be an idea to check out the vegetarian society's website on vitamins and minerals at http://www.vegsoc.org/info/basic-nutrition.html#vita
    rachie004 wrote:
    I don't take vitamin supplements because any attempt at swallowing a torpedo sized tablet just results in me gagging on it and it being hurled into the sink/toilet

I'm pretty under-nurioushed though, but thats because what they feed us at work is shit :D
    I have to hold my nose when swallowing tablets. :sour: :yuck:
    Just be careful that you read the ingredients of the capsules as loads of them contain gelatine and other nasty things.

I just take a general multi-vitamin/mineral tablet. Used to take Sanatogen vegetarian vits though which is quite good.

If you have a good balanced diet then supplements are unnecessary. But I eat rubbishly these days.