Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Apprenticeships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I havnt been on these forums for about a year (oops), well..i was only on here for a few months anyway, but ive been really busy the past year, thats my excuse! :rolleyes:

Anyway, since around february ive been applying for apprenticeships, in Engineering, ICT, Catering, but most importantly, the Motor Industry. Im wondering if anyone else has applied for apprenticeships or has an apprenticeship. Ive applied with Emtec, Remit and the main local Motor Trades Training provider (Motor Trades GTA) and ive been round all the local car dealerships with my CV and been on all the manufacturers websites and applied. Ive been for interviews with all the training providers and passed all the entry tests and have all required qualifications (at least 3 GCSES at C or above + a GNVQ ICT and AVCE ICT), im trying harder than ever at this than anything else ive tried for, but im not getting much response, ive only got one sorta interview at an Audi dealership about 2 hours away from here, but its to work in my local one round the corner. Im wondering how long it takes for me to get more interviews, is it because im 19? :crazyeyes I want to go into the motor industry more than anything, ive just left college, doing an AVCE ICT and dropped media studies and work part-time at Asda and in a Petrol Station, ive had about 3 jobs before those aswell, i did my work experience at a local Nissan dealership, ive got plenty of personal expeience with cars and am probably more passionate about cars than anyone else i know (and i know a lot of petrol heads!) and i think i should have a good chance of getting somewhere but im getting worried now, if i dont get an apprenticeship, i dont wanna carry on at Asda after september with nothing else to do in the future :banghead: , im just hoping too much time hasnt passed now and im hoping to hear from someone soon. Shold i have had a real interview with a company yet? It just seems like ive been left in the dark about how long i should wait for an interview and believe me, im chasing everyone i can to get me some! :crazyeyes

Lol! That ended up longer than i planned! :eek:

Has anyone else been in or is in a similar situation?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm in the same situation. I'm 21 and have been trying to get an electrical apprenticeship for 18 months. It's a farce. Why are apprenticeships advertised up until the age of 24 - because nobody wants to know when you are 19 or over. This is mainly due to the funding restrictions from the Government. However, recently I have been lucky that my local college have offered to pay full funding towards my training but I still need to find an employer before September, the amount of CVs I have sent out is ridiculous.
    I am in full time employment within the NHS at the moment but it's a deadend job.

I'm on the verge of giving up :(

PS
    The motor trade has no money init! What ever you do, don't work for a Renault dealership!!:banghead:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Ramtracks
    Welcome back to TheSite - glad you remembered us!

I've just been doing a bit of searching for you and found these pages about motoring apprenticeships.

This site also looks geared up for people wanting to work in the automotive industry - may be helpful?

There's also this page of questions and answers about apprenticeships, which could be worth a a look.

It sounds like you're putting loads of hard work into getting a position - hang in there and keep trying and something's bound to happen! Good luck ;)