Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

shampoo ect for red, blonde, and brunette hair?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They're all over the place recently. I was just wondering....do they actually make any difference to your hair? I can't see why theres different shampoo for different colours and what difference they'll make. Does anyone here use them? Are they any good at all?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used John Frieda's Radiant Red when I dyed my hair red. The color used to fade out withing a couple weeks, it looked drab, not even very red. I thought the shampoo and conditioner worked great. It kept it shiny and... still red until it was time to color again.

Now that I'm brown again I bought the brown (though havn't used it yet).
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Ballerina wrote:
    They're all over the place recently. I was just wondering....do they actually make any difference to your hair? I can't see why theres different shampoo for different colours and what difference they'll make. Does anyone here use them? Are they any good at all?
    the John Freda Sheer Blonde range is good for my hair. made it look lovely and shiney! id highly recommend that, but i know you are a red head, so that wont work for you, but id suggest trying the red one.
    have a nosey about, theyre normally on offer somewhere!
    Yeah i use Herbal essence one, and umm a yellow one , i forget the name and can't be arsed to go look. The yellow one is really good. I will look later
    \
    I think that it's camomile and citrus which strengthens the color of blonde hair, perhaps they all have different ingredients in them to preserve and strengthen the different hair colors?
    Though to be hones, I don't really know at all.
    Does anyone know if it makes a difference what shade you have though? I'm tempted to buy the red, however I'm unsure if the manufacturer's have the same idea of red as I do - they seem to be aimed at people with auburn/ginger hair, but my hair is PROPER red (like, same colour as fire engines & tomatoes). I don't wanna try the stuff to find it tries to add auburn tones or something & makes my hair duller.
    Most brands I've seen in stores have two shades of red. Ones for bright vibrant red (fire engine), and one for dark subtle red, never seen a "ginger" one. I always used the bright one and it worked good. Kept the red in and the brown/orange out. Just my experience.

for "fiery red"

Has anybody tried their glaze? I'm going to try my best to keep my new brown from going "mousy."
    the boots botanics one for brunettes is pretty good.
    I use Superdrug's Camomile shampoo and it does wonders for my hair but the conditioner is GODAWFUL - doesn't wash out easily at all and turns me into a grease monster. I also like to rinse my hair with cooled down camomile tea (bags removed, of course) which makes it shiny and blonder than usual :thumb:
    I used John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette and definitely saw a difference in style, texture and knotiness. It was soft, shiny and stayed styled.
    I use Toni and Guy (non color specific) at the moment, coz I fancied a change.
    No doubt I'll go back to John Frieda at some point.
    i used the john Freida one when my stepsister brought it on holiday, and tbh, i didnt rate it as much as the boots botanics one. Its worth trying in my opinion.
    I like the sunsilk brunette one, I reckon it makes a difference.
    You know what the way to test if it works is... get someone with blonde hair to try the brunette one and vice versa *someone who's willing to ruin their hair obviously just in case*.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    You know what the way to test if it works is... get someone with blonde hair to try the brunette one and vice versa *someone who's willing to ruin their hair obviously just in case*.

Does it really add *color* though? I thought it didn't, just shine and stuff. The look/feel/all that junk is completly different than any thisaddscolor shampoo I've ever run into.
    The John Frieda Brilliant Blonde one is really good, but now I've changed to Aussie Colour Mate which I find better
    I've not tried many, the Sunsilk Brunette one made my hair go red. I think it's mebbe cos my hair's got auburny tones to it, but it looked like proper cheap dye red. :grump:

I reckon they'd make more difference to blonde hair than brunette or red hair, cos blonde hair tends to look duller than darker hair, so I'd have thought it'd make it shinier.
    The Sunsilk Red one smells deliciously of cinnimon and is worth getting purely for that :D
    my_name wrote:
    Does it really add *color* though?

Dunno really. But if they reckon what evers in it only works for brown hair for example, would be interesting to see why it wouldnt work on a blonde.
    i use John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette moisturising stuff. I love how it makes my hair looks nice for once! i reckon the sunsilk one is pretty good too.
    Tip:if you want to try john frieda stuff, or get more but only if on offer, i found it in superdrug for only £2.99 yesturday!
    i use the sunsilk blonde ones. they really do work, my hair is so soft and shiny and the blonde really keeps very well!
    my hair is usually very dry and frizzy but these shampoos really do it good :)