Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I really want to quit smoking...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...but i'm struggling. I could list reasons all day why my life would be so much better without having that little white stick in my mouth all day saying "You need me loser!". But, pathetic as this may be, at the end of the day it's a drug addicition and it aint easy. Anybody got any inspiring success stories?

Comments

• Options
    I gave u about 4 1/2 years ago. I set myself a date and got myself some lozenges (as i knew they would hel me as it's something in your mouth when you really need it) and i did it. Never looked back.

Once you get the determination you are halfway there.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    I have friends who've successfully quit smoking cigarettes - they all said it was hard (and yep, lots of lozenges/sweets!), but worth it. You might already know these, but our site has some tips on kicking the habit.

QUIT is an independent charity set up to help smokers stop, and lists some very brief success stories (go to tab, "We've QUIT"). They've a helpline on 0800 00 22 00 if of any interest. Good luck.
  • Options
    I know he's had loads of press lately, but I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Give up Smoking - and it really worked. I know others it's worked for too. You have to really want to give up and follow his instructions exactly though.

Best of luck with it - it's really worth the hasle of trying :)
  • Options
    My dad gave up this year after 29 years of smoking. He did try a few years ago after being told by doctors and nurses that it's a good idea to give up. (This was before they found out what was wrong with him) He tried the patches, but because of a reaction to the glue, he used the lozenges. My granddad gave up last year after 51 years of smoking!
  • Options
    Hi Luke, deciding you want to quit means you are already half way there.

I was a smoker and had been for god knows how many years decided I was going to quit. I had my last ciggy on New Years Eve (just gone). Id reached that point where I really didwant to quit. Prior to this I had wanted to quit but dont think I was quite ready.

So at 11:45 pm I had my last ciggy. I put a patch on to get me through that first night. When I got up in the morning I totally changed my routine, so instead of having a cuppa and a ciggy I had a glass of water and did a job of some sort, basically i did anything to take my mind of having my fix. That first day was hell to be honest and ocassionally I still get days where I could smoke a fag but glad to say I havent.

The main thing is change your routine. If you normally have a smoke after you eat make sure you go out for a walk, or was pots or anything which is totally changing your routine. After a meal you will now find me sat at my PC rather than having a cuppa and a smoke. Also when I packed in I went to bed early because it was a killer for me on the evening, so instead of lighting up I went to bed and got through that way.

If you can get through that first day then thats brilliant and things will get easier. I just kept thinking to myself well ive managed one day I can carry on and pack in. so yeah it wasnt easy, id be a liar if I said it was cos its been hard but ive got there and now im into my 8th month fag free :)

Good luck and for the record I was a smoker who smoked about 25+ ciggies a day for over 20 years :D
  • Options
    Thanks for the stories all. I must say, i tried Allen Carr before. I quit for about a month and like an idiot i thought "This is so easy, i can handle a couple down the pub". And of course, i was on the slippery slope again. I read it again the other night and of course, these things don't work second time around. I'm not denying what Allen Carr has done for millions of people, i guess i'm just to much of an idiot to take it in. And it is tragic to find out he has only got nine months to live. As for willpower, i've tried it more times than i can remember and it's torture lol. I don't believe in NRT - never seen it work for anyone. How can you get off a drug by just taking the drug in a different form? That's like saying to a heroin addict "Here have a bit in a drink form instead, the craving will soon go away". I've seen this book with a hypnotism CD that's supposed to have worked for alot of people. I'm gonna pick it up on my lunch break. I'll let you know how it goes. But if that don't work, it looks like it's gonna have to be cold turkey...
  • Options
    My dad had to give up his 30 a day habit when he ahd a heart attack 8 weeks ago. He has no willpower - me and mum are his willpower unfortunetly and have hidden all lighters. Since he couldn't leave without us for the first few weeks once he was home anyway (couldn't drive or anything.) he didn't have the chance to buy anymore either.

His secret? Chewing gum. And lots of the bloody stuff. I tried stealing a piece the other day but it was more than my lifes worth to get it off him :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Anyone tried hypnosis? Apparently its effective.
  • Options
    I quit smoking around 4 weeks ago after 7 or 8 years of smoking 20 - 30 a day. As long as you want to do it then that's most of the battle won. The first couple of days are awful, the next few aren't nice but from then on in it just keeps getting easier. The things to watch out for after the first few weeks is your resolve dropping.
  • Options
    Well, i've just picked up the book with the hypnosis CD. It's called 'Stop smoking in one hour' and is by Susan Hepburn. Has got plenty of good reviews on amazon...
  • Options
    Well, i've just picked up the book with the hypnosis CD. It's called 'Stop smoking in one hour' and is by Susan Hepburn. Has got plenty of good reviews on amazon...
    Hypnosis isn't an easy way out, remember that. In order for hypnosis to work you have to let it work. If you have the determination to quit, then it will work alongside hypnosis.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Hypnosis isn't an easy way out, remember that. In order for hypnosis to work you have to let it work. If you have the determination to quit, then it will work alongside hypnosis.

So i've been told. I want to quit...
  • Options
    Then stay 100% & keep that attitude of wanting to quit, & you will. :)
  • Options
    spanner wrote:
    I know he's had loads of press lately, but I read Alan Carr's Easy Way to Give up Smoking - and it really worked. I know others it's worked for too. You have to really want to give up and follow his instructions exactly though.

Best of luck with it - it's really worth the hasle of trying :)

This is how I stopped smoking! I smoked for five years and had tried numerous ways to stop smoking none of which had worked. I found this book and set about reading it.

Within a couple of days I had stopped smoking for good and can honestly say there was nothing hard about it. I know a few other people who have stopped smoking using this book and two of them were successful and one of them stopped smoking for about 4 months and started again. So I think 3 people stopping smoking out of 4 is good odds, you should definately get it. I have been a non smoker for about three years now and it was the best thing I ever did.

You could also see your doctor and see if there is any help that they can give you. Good luck!
  • Options

In all honesty, it's going to be really hard. There's no two ways about it. I'll also warn you to be careful about placing responsibility for the quitting anywhere other than at the doorstep of your own will-power. Gum, patches, hypnotherapy etc. are all potential ways of distributing blame for failure. Finding excuses as to why now isn't a good time to quite is quite common as well, i sure as hell had a load! :D

I went cold turkey when quitting and without wanting to sound too preachy, I almost enjoyed the experience as I found it to be quite an introspective one.

I’m also personally not a fan of Allen Carr and found his book to be quite patronising and ill-informed at points. I think he misrepresents the nature of addiction in a number of key areas.
  • Options
    Been going for 3 days now. At times i'm elated. At times i wanna gouge my own eyes out just for a release. It's amazing how something you know you hate so much and is so bad for you, becomes the most precious thing on this earth after a few hours without it. The thing i hate the most? Patronising, smoke police type people who every ten minutes are going "Well done, you're doing really well". It makes me want to hit them and light up a cigarette immediately. I never could take a compliment, but i don't think giving up is something to be that pleased about or feel that heroic about - It's just common sense. And the sooner i forget i ever smoked and everyone shuts up - the better....!