Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age of cigarettes and knives going up to 18

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    Of course if someone is really fat (easily as dangerous as smoking) it doesnt harm you, but then neither does outside second hand smoke - to any degree which is going to reduce your life.

That's the crux of the matter, outside second hand smoke does fuck all. Sofie doesn't like it but hey, that's life, what are ya gonna do about it?
    Sofie wrote:
    But surely if you breathe alot of second hand smoke in, it will affect you?

How much time do you spend outside hanging out with smokers?
    Sofie I honestly can't think of any situations where you would be affected by outdoor smoking other than the aformentioned ones.

Smokers should definitely exercise common sense. In a very crowded Oxford Street where you're pacing along inches behind the person in front of you it is possible to be breathing other people's smoke. But in the immense majority of outdoor every day situations that wouldn't be the case.

Imposing a blanket ban on all outdoor smoking would be wholly unfair and unrealistic of the situation. That said, I don't have a problem with people asking smokers to show consideration and to put out their fags in certain situations. To be honest I doubt many people would want to smoke in an ultra crowded shopping street anyway.
    Sofie wrote:
    Because it affects everyone? Why should I have to beathe in other peoples' dirty habits? And quite a few smokers are inconsiderate about it anyway. Yes, there are a few I know of who will ask if I'm okay with them smoking around me, but not everyone's like that.
    True and i do get that. But if the government is going to go as far as banning something that several million people do (ie, banning smokers from smoking outside) what do you think the revenue of shops is going to do? I know smokers who are so bad they need to smoke every half an hour. If they can't smoke in a pub and they can't smoke outside, they just won't bother going anywhere that doesnt have a "smokers only" room. Economically its a bad idea. And while you don't like having smoke lingering in the air from cigarettes, you're happy to smoke the oh- so - clean air of the city?
    Sorry, breathe in the air of the city.
    bongbudda wrote:
    How much time do you spend outside hanging out with smokers?

I used to live with one. Quite a few of my friends smoke as well.

Of course, I won't have a problems if for example they have smoking rooms (or seprate rooms for smokers and non-smokers) in pubs and clubs.
    what do you think the revenue of shops is going to do?

That's not my problem.
    Sofie wrote:
    I used to live with one. Quite a few of my friends smoke as well.

I hate to say it, but if you lived with a smoker then not only is that your choice but an outside ban would do you no good anyway.

If your friends smoke surely you can ask them to do it down wind of you, or not to blow the smoke at you?
    turlough wrote:
    Bit like feminism.

WTF? Random... :chin:
    Sofie wrote:

That's not my problem.
    Yes it is. General economy goes down, prices go up. Including drinking, something that you probably spend your time being surrounded by smokers doing. Smokers won't care that the cigarettes are more expensive- an addiction is an addiction.
    For someone who bangs on about smokers being inconsiderate, there seems to be quite an element of it in your quote.
    briggi wrote:
    WTF? Random... :chin:

Just me talking the ye ole shite as usual.
    I see :thumb: What else is there to do on a Wednesday afternoon when you can't go down the pub and smoke yourself and everyone else to death? :p
    briggi wrote:
    I see :thumb: What else is there to do on a Wednesday afternoon when you can't go down the pub and smoke yourself and everyone else to death? :p
    :D I didn't mean it like that- i do actually agree with having separate rooms for smokers- at least then people can't complain about it. But Pubs are the place where most people complain about it being too smoky. I'm just against not allowing people to smoke outdoors. Isn't this meant to be a free country, provided whatever you're doing isn't hurting anyone?
    briggi wrote:
    What else is there to do on a Wednesday afternoon when you can't go down the pub and smoke yourself and everyone else to death? :p

Indeed, though I am going out tonight so I can do it then. :D
    AmsyBamsy wrote:
    :D I didn't mean it like that- i do actually agree with having separate rooms for smokers- at least then people can't complain about it. But Pubs are the place where most people complain about it being too smoky. I'm just against not allowing people to smoke outdoors. Isn't this meant to be a free country, provided whatever you're doing isn't hurting anyone?

Oh, I agree completely.

I'd prefer to have smoking and non-smoking pubs (or yes, at least rooms) because the only thing I can imagine being more annoying than having smoke "blown in your face" (rarely, if ever, see this happen - just for the record) is having someone harping on in your ear about the dangers of passive smoking and all the damage you're doing to your lungs.

It is utterly preposterous to even suggest banning smoking outside. I can't get my head around the twisted logic there!

I'd say live and let live, but then someone will jump in with a "smokers aren't letting anyone live; they're murderous, selfish cunts" or similar. Ah, how I love these threads :thumb:
    briggi wrote:
    Oh, I agree completely.

I'd prefer to have smoking and non-smoking pubs (or yes, at least rooms) because the only thing I can imagine being more annoying than having smoke "blown in your face" (rarely, if ever, see this happen - just for the record) is having someone harping on in your ear about the dangers of passive smoking and all the damage you're doing to your lungs.

It is utterly preposterous to even suggest banning smoking outside. I can't get my head around the twisted logic there!

I'd say live and let live, but then someone will jump in with a "smokers aren't letting anyone live; they're murderous, selfish cunts" or similar. Ah, how I love these threads :thumb:

Indeed, the fun is almost unimaginable :p And whilst i'd prefer not to be shoved into a poky room surrounded by clouds of smoke, as long as it's got a bar i'm cool ;)
    good move i think
    bongbudda wrote:
    I hate to say it, but if you lived with a smoker then not only is that your choice but an outside ban would do you no good anyway.

If your friends smoke surely you can ask them to do it down wind of you, or not to blow the smoke at you?

Considering it was my dad who used to smoke, it was hardly a 'choice'.

Of the friends of mine who smoke, they will always either go somewhere else and smoke or ask me if it was alright for them to smoke around me.
    It's a bit hard to complain about smoking outdoors when in most cities you're breathing in all those lovely diesel fumes.

I've said before what should happen in pubs and clubs. The bar should be non-smoking, as should at least 2/3 of the seating accomodation. You should not have to go through a smoking room to go to the loo or bar, and staff should be able to veto working in the smoking room. If a pub cannot provide a fully enclosed smoking room it should be non-smoking.

It's a fair compromise, and one i'm happy with. I get to go out without my wife having an asthma attack, and you get to give yourself cancer.

I should point out that over 80% of the population do not smoke, and so the wishes of a non-smoker should override the wishes of a non-smoker, within reason.
    Kermit wrote:
    It's a bit hard to complain about smoking outdoors when in most cities you're breathing in all those lovely diesel fumes.

I've said it once and I'll say it again:
    People needs cars; they DON'T need cigarettes. Or do you expect everyone just to walk everywhere?
    Sofie wrote:
    People needs cars; they DON'T need cigarettes. Or do you expect everyone just to walk everywhere?

It doesn't matter whether you need them or not, its stupid to complain about the trickle of tiny toxins when there's a great big flood of muck flying up your nose out of all the cars and buses.

I hate smoking, but as long as people aren't smoking near me in an enclosed space, I don't care what they do. Let the smokers catch cancer.
    Kermit wrote:
    It's a fair compromise, and one i'm happy with. I get to go out without my wife having an asthma attack, and you get to give yourself cancer.

:lol:

I like it.

Sofie, you're sounding like a broken record, you've been told numerous times that the "damage" caused by outside smoke is fuck all and won't kill you.
    It's not exactly good though either, is it? :rolleyes:
    Sofie wrote:
    It's not exactly good though either, is it? :rolleyes:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    . double post
    Sofie wrote:

They don't need gas guzzlers. They don't need diesel engine.

You get more pollutants in your average car driving a mile than you do in more than 100 cigarettes.

So, how do you intend to find that £9bn tax gap when smoking levels reduce?
    They don't need gas guzzlers. They don't need diesel engine.

You get more pollutants in your average car driving a mile than you do in more than 100 cigarettes.

So, how do you intend to find that £9bn tax gap when smoking levels reduce?

I reckon you've answered the question there yourself - higher taxes on unnecessary 'gas-guzzlers'. Although whether this would go any way to offsetting the tax gap, I don't know. Guess it remains to be seen how much if any these new moves reduce the number of people smoking.
    So why ban smoking is the question though. If it's okay to "only" tax on the basis of health benefits (which are bogus anyway) then why not "only" tax cigarettes as we do now?
    I have to say that drinking in Scotland is a pleasure now, though.
    Has it ever been a pain... home of single malt for crying out loud. Radioactive waste wouldn't stop me...
    Has it ever been a pain... home of single malt for crying out loud. Radioactive waste wouldn't stop me...
    The Scottish Executive might though;)
    I think that malt is safe even from their ministrations...

Besides, if it's a good one, I wouldn't sully it with cigarette smoke