Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting rid of black hair dye!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so a few weeks ago I got caught up in the Pirates of the Caribbean hype and I dyed my hair black. God knows why but I felt very pirate-y with it. :eek2: My skin is too pale to pull this look off and I end up looking like a goth. So I want rid of it. I know black is the hardest colour to get rid of but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do it.

I am aware that I will probably have to get my hairdresser to sort out my stupid mistake but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

Comments

• Options
    I think you should cause if you dont no what you are doing you get it horribly wrong. What colour are you changing it back to?

800th post yay
  • Options
    I am aware that I will probably have to get my hairdresser to sort out my stupid mistake but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

You've got to. Sorry. It took my hairdresser three attempts at stripping the black undercolour from my hair over a period of time, and it was still quite dark. I ended up dying my hair all brown as a result of it. Everyones hair is different, but I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself.
  • Options
    is it permanent? if its semi just wash it loads, apparently head and shoulders is good, and it'll start to come out. if its permanent then you should probably go to the hairdresser but it will cost you LOADS, like £80. my hair was dyed 1 or 2 shades from black and i used a colour stripper, think it was garnier and it got most of it out. i was left with a not-so-attractive orangy colour but it was a light enough base to dye over
  • Options
    I've done that, just washed it loads of times with a strong shampoo and rubbed very hard. It will fade.

Alternatively, use some fake tan or slightly different make up to match your new look to avoid looking goth like.
  • Options
    Even semi permanent black won't wash out I'm afraid. You will need to see your hairdresser and it won't be cheap (£100+)
    I was told 'impossible' by several hairstylists when I wanted to get rid of my black hair. I've ended up growing it out, 2 years later.
  • Options
    aparrantly stripping your hair doesn't do it any favours either
    go to the hairdressers, maybe get a tint to it?
  • Options
    What colour are you changing it back to?

I will be going back to my natural colour which is medium brown.

I just phoned my hairdresser and she says that she needs to look at my hair before giving me a quote. I expect this to be incredibly expensive. My own stupid mistake though! :banghead:
  • Options
    As long as you don't try and dye it blonde, it'll go a yellowy ginger :thumb:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:

Mate did that piss funny :lol:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Although you could try putting through one of those highlighting kits, which is what my friend has done, it does go a bit orangey in places but it takes the darkness of the black away.
  • Options
    You should wash it with Head and Shoulders because that strips the colour. It won't strip it completely, obviously, but it will help it along a bit and so your hairdresser won't have such a hard job.

I've had my hair stripped and it was fine. Don't worry :)
  • Options
    Go to a hairdressing supply shop (www.sallybeauty.com & go to store locator, or look in your phone book) & buy a dye stripper. This strips most of the dye off your hair (though there'll still be some staining). After that you'll probably still have to use bleach, but you won't have to leave it on for as long, so it'll cut down on damage. Depending on your usual hair colour you might not even have need to bleach - if you're dark brown you can just use dark brown dye & that'll cover up the remains of the black.