Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student bank accounts

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's what I've been thinking. I have two accounts, neither of them get my student loan though. And my banks haven't said anything.
  • Options
    Surely the bank can't do anything to stop you having more than one student account though? Like there isn't anything actually illegal about it?
    Obviously they can refuse to let you open an account, but they're not gonna no if you've got another account somewhere else unless you tell them. Not everyone gets student loans so they can't say you MUST pay your loan into that account.

I think it's a condition you agree to in order to get your overdraft set up. You also are asked if you have an existing student overdraft - and i'm told by someone who worked for HSBC that they do actually check, although i'd imagine it must be pretty sloppy.
  • Options
    Didnt have a problem with Natwest. Got my Railcard the other day no hassle. And a free webcam .. which i'll never use :p
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    does anyone know of a good account that will get me some good free stuff?
    I know natwest are giving away a free ipod shuffle but they suck. i want something good! :grump:

WTF? Where'd you hear that? Natwest are giving away a railcard, & the other freebie is a webcam (but you have to apply online to get that & I went into my branch to do it - wouldn't say no if they decided to give me one anyway though). No iPods. I know that for sure cos that's the one I applied to (partially because of the railcard - I'm moving to an out-of-the-way uni, & I love to travel, so it'll be extremely handy), but also because the account specs sounded like the best deal (I'll admit I didn't spend too much time perusing the others though) & because my regular bank account is with them so it saves having to deal with different banks.