Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Disturbing television

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Did anyone just watch that Gordon ramsey thing with the pigs in the abatoir? :eek2: thoughts?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't, and I'm pretty glad about that now to be honest :nervous:
    I did (well, if you class hiding behind a cushion as watching)

Sick. So sick. Why would you show that on TV?
    Aww the poor wee piggys :(
    I feel soo bad for the wee buggers. Never would want to see that again. Yuck!!
    Is it any more depressing that watching the slaughtering of civilians?
    Do you all get distressed whilst tucking into your non free range bacon?
    nicx1811 wrote:

Sick. So sick. Why would you show that on TV?

Because it's real?

How else do you think you get a nice bit of bacon?
    if you are willing to eat it, you should be willing to see where it comes from! i personally believe if you'll eat something you should be able to kill it yourself if needed.

wasnt pleasent viewing but didnt upset me or anything.

i love pork products! mmmmmmmmmm
    I kinda saw it, made me feel sick. I know where it comes from, i don't need to see it.
    Tweety wrote:
    I kinda saw it, made me feel sick. I know where it comes from, i don't need to see it.

Exactly. Same with any other animal.

What worries me is that my little sister may have seen it, I'm aware it was on after watershed and everything, but if she was watching TV in my room last night then I wouldn't be surprised if she'd got it on!

(And for those who pointed out that I needed to see it 'because its real and you eat bacon', I don't actually. or Pork, and I very very rarely eat sausages. )
    I really wasn't impressed because I just turned over to watch Big Brother and since I wouldn't have an intention of watching that sort of programme (plus I really dislike Gordon Ramsey!) I wasn't that happy to be confronted with those images :grump:
    nicx1811 wrote:
    What worries me is that my little sister may have seen it, I'm aware it was on after watershed and everything, but if she was watching TV in my room last night then I wouldn't be surprised if she'd got it on!

theres noone to blame for that, its down to a responsible adult to check what young children are watching, not the channels to censor what they show just because some small child may watch.

we've been discussing it at work this morning and decided its no more horrific than those plastic surgery and operation shows you see. in fact probably less as its a animal rather than a person.
    koe_182 wrote:
    theres noone to blame for that, its down to a responsible adult to check what young children are watching, not the channels to censor what they show just because some small child may watch.

I do believe I said that I knew it was after watershed? I wasn't blaming anyone, I just said I was worried!

ETA: At least if you switch over and the programme on is a plastic surgery show, you know what's coming and how graphic they will be. I don't think many people were expecting what they saw last night, even with the warning beforehand.
    I couldn't disagree more re: comparisons between butchery featuring human faces/arses/tits and the slaughter of animals - even under the guise of information and education. The majority of plastic surgery bullshit makeover shows you see feature consenting (though possibly very deluded) adults, and in documentaries etc where operations are shown it is usually to a positive conclusion (eg. the 25 stone tumour was removed successfully etc).

More power to those who are happy to see where their meat comes from and can reconcile that without guilt, I do think that's the best way to be. But I don't think that it's an unreasonable opinion to be a little shocked at seeing that kind of thing on television -- especially after weeks of build-up about the family keeping the pigs as pets etc. It's soft and not the way of the "real world", but some things we just don't need to see on C4 primetime imo.
    its not like regular viewers have been lulled into a false sense of security tho, when he first got the pigs it was always the intentions to slaughter them at the end of the series, and there was a warning before the show.

im not saying its pleasent viewing, but i dont think theres anything wrong with it.

of course everyone has different thresholds to what they can watch, my mum was in tears watching it, but she's a vegi animal loving hippy.
    koe_182 wrote:
    and there was a warning before the show.

I turnt on half way through, had ai known i wouldn't have watched it. I would have prefered a quick warning before they did it.
    Tweety wrote:
    I turnt on half way through, had ai known i wouldn't have watched it. I would have prefered a quick warning before they did it.

gordon himself said what was coming up at various times and said before it happened its not for the squeemish and to turn over now.

cant really expect anymore.
    koe_182 wrote:
    gordon himself said what was coming up at various times and said before it happened its not for the squeemish and to turn over now.

cant really expect anymore.

Didn't hear that, anyway i am not complaining, just saying i would have prefered not to see it.
    I am not keen on anything like that be it animal or human.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    And there was a break 10 minutes before it happening with a warning.

Tbh, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting and it made me more aware of where my meat comes from and what happens to it to get to my plate.
    And there was a break 10 minutes before it happening with a warning.

Nature was calling :p:lol: .
    Thats the sort of warning i was looking for, just missed it i guess.
    I love my meat and all that and I did want to see it out of curiousity but won't be going out of me way to see it again as I just felt bad for the poor wee buggers. Someones gotta do it, I'm just glad it aint me.
    i dont really have an opinion on it tbh. its not something i particularly wanted to see but i've seen far worse.
    my mate showed me a video on his phone of a pig getting its head cut off with a chainsaw and also a video of a guy getting his throat slit then trying to breathe but all he could do was make a sort of squealing sound :eek2:
    Personally I believe that people who are unhappy to see where their meat comes from allow the meat industry to get away with even more inhyumane practices.

As Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall says, you need to appreciate that the fluffy lamb gets turned into your Sunday roast so that you keep an eye on what people do to that lamb. The only way to keep farming honest is to appreciate what farming is- rearing animals humanely and killing them to eat. If you sanitise one part of it- the death- you ignore all of it, and let the corporate farmers do horrible things because you simply don't think about the food you are eating.

It's real life and if you can't watch it you shouldn't be eating it. You DO need to see it, because it makes sure you make sure the farmers treat the animals right. I think Ramsay should be applauded, actually, for showing people how animals should be treated- with care and love until its time for supper.
    maybe a bit unrelated, but did anyone see a programme called Tribe, where some guy goes and spends a few weeks (or months) with various ethiopian tribes?

they had a bit where they picked one of their herd of cows, and drained some blood out of a hole in its neck so the tribesmen could drink. there wasn't any water, so they drained a cow. dont worry, the cow walked back to the herd minutes later. it was very interesting viewing, i thought.

i dont see anything wrong if people get a little squeamish seeing the death of a pig. only means youre soft. just remember it next time you pour ketchup over your bacon butty. i reckon if, like kermit said, seeing that makes you uneasy, you should not eat meat.