Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bit Torrent question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm now downloading Suse which is 3.49GB and in summery it has "967.72 MB (1 MB rubbish data dropped)" - does this mean that the file is broke?

Comments

• Options
    no
  • Options
    btw, yesterday I was downloading at max speed (around 240kbp/s) now since starting it up again it's only at 30??
  • Options
    Just depends on how many Seeders/Leechers there are... usually private trackers are much faster than the public ones, even with a low amount of seeders.
  • Options
    Sending BitTorrent a question

Does anyone know how to send BitTorrent a question or submit a bug report?

Their website says that if you don't find the answer to your question, you should send it to them... but then fails to provide a form, link or any info how to do this.

In any case, I have the newest version of BitTorrent (4.20.7) and this is hellishly resource-hungry. Okay, I only have a 2Ghz AMD and 1Gb RAM, but still, when I start BitTorrent, I can't run anything else. It uses constistently between 60 and 95% of the CPU time and immediately consumes at least 80Mb of system memory. Antivirus also stops working because it doesn't have enough resources to keep running. Also, BitTorrent tends not to run any longer than 2 hours before crashing, half the time with a nice blue screen.

Hmm... with all these problems, maybe someone knows of a better client that I can use instead?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    3lite wrote:

Their website says that if you don't find the answer to your question, you should send it to them... but then fails to provide a form, link or any info how to do this.

In any case, I have the newest version of BitTorrent (4.20.7) and this is hellishly resource-hungry. Okay, I only have a 2Ghz AMD and 1Gb RAM, but still, when I start BitTorrent, I can't run anything else. It uses constistently between 60 and 95% of the CPU time and immediately consumes at least 80Mb of system memory. Antivirus also stops working because it doesn't have enough resources to keep running. Also, BitTorrent tends not to run any longer than 2 hours before crashing, half the time with a nice blue screen.

Hmm... with all these problems, maybe someone knows of a better client that I can use instead?

It did use a hog of resources on my system too but nothing as bad as yours.

However I do thing it might be causing a few random restarts I keep having :|
  • Options
    3lite wrote:

utorrent.

www.utorrent.com
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    I'm now downloading Suse which is 3.49GB and in summery it has "967.72 MB (1 MB rubbish data dropped)" - does this mean that the file is broke?

Can't you just download it direct from their website with using torrents?

BTW why the heck is the file size so huge anyway? People complain windows is bloated but I see these Linux distros and some are huge!!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Can't you just download it direct from their website with using torrents?

BTW why the heck is the file size so huge anyway? People complain windows is bloated but I see these Linux distros and some are huge!!
    Mainly because windows comes almost blank, while most linux OSes come with many programs and drivers for several different pieces of hardware.
  • Options
    When I installed one of the distros (think it was mandrake, cant remember lol) there were 4 CDs - you only actually needed one but the others had loads of optional extras you could install..
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Jake0!
    I tried out Azureus before I read your reply and that has already solved all the problems. Might give uTorrent a go, just for the sake of comparison.
  • Options
    do try utorrent, I used to use azereus, but switched a few months ago.