Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

21st

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What have people done for their 21st? I have no idea as usual what to do for my birthday. Generally I find if I plan it too much it goes craply. Bored of doing the usual clubbing scene. Want it to be memorable in a good way. Any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    whatever you do, chose something mad and crazy, thats just so damned good, when you hit 30 you feel too old to do it again

thats how you enjoy your 21st better, it only happens once :)
    Just make sure you're having fun, with your mates. My 21st was very pleasant, I took 8 or 9 of my good mates out to dinner. It would have been more memorable if I'd got my team involved no doubt, but I wanted it to be a little thing, my teammates can always get drunk on my behalf next year.
    my mum took me to pizza express and about 20 members of my family came. It was lovely.
    Try to get hold of a good location first. Invite a shitton of people, and have a closed community.
    Use your flat (if its big enough), or someother house/flat if parents are not there, whatever. On the other hand you could still talk to some pub owner to have the pub for tonight and you promise to bring so-and-so many people who will all consume.

I celebrated my 20th with a friend together and we 'rented' (for free) a club with our own dj just for us. We had around 130 people there all friends, co-workers, old friends/coworkers, friend of friends, friends of coworkers, relatives (cousins) etc.

On the other hand you could make some kind of garden party, if someone has an outhouse in the greens or smth. Just try to make it different to the usual "pub, filled with lots of strangers and getting drunk" like every friday night.
    i had two different 21st too. i threw a party at my apartment and invited everyone under the sun and then my parents took me out for dinner and to a bar. it was nice because i got to do both, have a huge party and then have a little party.

whichever or whatever you choose, just make sure you have fun. you only turn 21 once.
    We're hiring a party boat on the river... it's supposed to be a surprise but my friends are incapable of keeping secrets. It does seem a lot less appealing now I can't drink champagne until I'm sick, take all my clothes off and jump in the water. I'm sure it'll still be a blast, though.

Then I'm going for a big meal on the evening with my boyfriend's family and of course, my own :)

I think there's far too much pressure to have good "landmark" birthdays and even nights out, if I try and plan things perfectly they always go to shit - my 18th ended up in utter disaster for that exact reason. I can laugh about it now, but.. :eek:
    I was taken on a surprise trip to alton towers for my 21st. Only realised where we were going when I saw the road signs! I got champagne at 11am, stupid bunny ears to wear all day, and all in all it was a fantastic day out.

Drinking champers before midday and wearing a bunny outfit whilst getting scared shitless on the rides, brilliant!
    briggi wrote:
    I think there's far too much pressure to have good "landmark" birthdays and even nights out, if I try and plan things perfectly they always go to shit - my 18th ended up in utter disaster for that exact reason. I can laugh about it now, but.. :eek:

I agree, I ended up crying on both my 18th and 21st because it was so stressful trying to make them perfect...then again I actually do that drunken crying quite a bit so it wasnt too much of a shock.

I wish I had planned a better 21st though. To the OP if I was you I would milk it for all its worth, have a whole week of celebrations and plan loads of fun stuff, doesnt have to be expensive. Me and a friend got an all day, any location ticket thingy for the train and buses and spent the whole day travelling around the region having a couple of drinks in every town for her 18th. It was a brilliant day we took stupid photos in every location and collected things from the trip, i made her a little scrap book and gave her it as an extra pressie.

I would also advise fancy dress, that way you will probably get more drinks bought for you and you can probably blag some god awful "champagne" from a few places :yippe:

If on the other hand you dont drink alcohol forget all the above, sorry.
    Cheers for the suggestions :) Fancy dress could be a laugh! Being highly single it would be good to milk lots of people for free drinks and entrance fees :) Maybe I should just spread it over a week and do all kinds of different celebrations. At least that way one of them has to be good. Haha crying when drunk, I did that a few weeks ago and I thought I didnt do that anymore. Boat party sounds fun as well. I do know a bar on a boat which I love to go to. I am planning a days trip to Paris with a friend. Guess that can be a part of it.
    i had 2 nights out for my 21st which were amazing. but the week of my birthday i had all my uni exams and my nan passed away so...

on one of my nights out i didn't spend a single penny (apart from putting towards transport there and back). my friends bought my drinks and a lad let me in the club for free cos he thought i was fit. :p:D
    My 21st is the week I'm directing a panto at the UCL Bloomsbury, I'm terrified! But it means that all my friends have to come to Cinderella, 'cos it's my birthday ;)
    piccolo wrote:
    My 21st is the week I'm directing a panto at the UCL Bloomsbury, I'm terrified! But it means that all my friends have to come to Cinderella, 'cos it's my birthday ;)

:) Good luck with it! It sounds like fun! I hope theres some kind of drama thing at my next uni. Guess I could go see a show for my birthday...
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I had 2 :D

My first one was when I was on antibiotics and on placement so we had a tea with lots of cake and my flatmates and I went ice skating.

Then the second was the following weekend and we went to pizza hut and a bit of a pub crawl.
    I think i had 2 - one was going out for a meal with my family - i ate too much and felt sick (I very often eat too much and feel sick though)

The second one was a joint one with my best friend we hired a Marquee in her back garden and had a devils and angel's party - with a buffet and a disco and a bouncy castle (she also had a swimming pool so lots of people went midnight skinny dipping). It was lots of fun and loads of people got very drunk and one of my other best friends got to snog the man she had fancied all summer (They got married in May) oh and a hit someone for being mean to my ex boyfriend.

Clearing it all up the next morning was less fun though.
    Hehe I just had some 17 year old looking pikey kid ask me for my number in the street. At least I still look young I guess :)
    my 18th I had a week. On my actual birthday (the monday) I drank all day had lunch with my friends and then dinner with my parents then took 12 of my friends to a pub and got roaring drunk.then next day I went out to dinner with a friend, to a gig one day , cllubbing another ahhh it was grand :D
    briggi wrote:
    It does seem a lot less appealing now I can't...take all my clothes off and jump in the water.

Don't let me stop you.

The best 21st I've been to was on the Ullswater steamer, a huge party and it was great fun. Even for the designated driver (me, as it was the wife's mate's do).

My 21st I spent moving house and having a Pizza Hut for tea. Fucking party machine I am.