Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Two brothers guilty of murdering Damilola Taylor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5252570.stm

At long last.

There might be hope yet for the families of other murder victims whose killers still roam the streets.

For the second time today, champers all around :)

financial.jpg
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I havent heard the evidence in court so I'll go along with the jury, but I dont like the way the police have basically pushed and pushed, repeating trials till they get the result they want.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    *gets glass and fills it*

Well, the justice system DOES work from time to time.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I havent heard the evidence in court so I'll go along with the jury, but I dont like the way the police have basically pushed and pushed, repeating trials till they get the result they want.

thats pretty much what i was thinking
    Only manslaughter, not murder.
    still......its a step in the right direction

(i hope)
    HIT wrote:
    Only manslaughter, not murder.

They stabbed him in the leg.
    turlough wrote:
    They stabbed him in the leg.

That's hardly manslaughter
    Actually it IS manslaughter. Manslaughter is charged when the offense resulted in the death of the victim without provable willful or otherwise premeditated intent to actually kill on the part of the accused.
    ^fact

If damiloa had lived it may have been GBH they'd been charged with.
    I stand corrected.

It is good (providing of course that they were guilty all along and that they had escaped justice before only through incompetence or screw ups) that the justice system has managed to get a conviction.

I understand bongbudda's concerns I must say. If the police had worked tiressly to convict the people they knew without doubt were guilty of the act, then credit to them. Sadly in these days you can never be entirely sure a scapegoat was found, especially in such high profile politically sensitive case.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I understand bongbudda's concerns I must say. If the police had worked tiressly to convict the people they knew without doubt were guilty of the act, then credit to them. Sadly in these days you can never be entirely sure a scapegoat was found, especially in such high profile politically sensitive case.

Especially given that during this investigation they used a very dodgy witness and tried to get four other different people convicted for it.
    They were covering this story on channel 4 news last night. A youth worker popped up and said:
    "If there were things for kids to do then this wouldn't have happened."

:rolleyes: :mad:
    PussyKatty wrote:
    They were covering this story on channel 4 news last night. A youth worker popped up and said:
    "If there were things for kids to do then this wouldn't have happened."

:rolleyes: :mad:

I'm not sure a youth club would have prevented it, but properly funded secure care homes for the two boys in question would have reduced the chances a lot.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm not sure a youth club would have prevented it, but properly funded secure care homes for the two boys in question would have reduced the chances a lot.

Yes that's probably true. I think at the time of the offence, the staff at the care home could not restrain the boys and force them to stay inside (apparently this law has since changed).

I just detest that sort of attitude, from what I remember Damilola himself was coming home late from an after school club, but I doubt that boys in gangs who see steaming as a weekend hobby would be interested in organised activities.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Yes that's probably true. I think at the time of the offence, the staff at the care home could not restrain the boys and force them to stay inside (apparently this law has since changed).

I just detest that sort of attitude, from what I remember Damilola himself was coming home late from an after school club, but I doubt that boys in gangs who see steaming as a weekend hobby would be interested in organised activities.

Indeed, and bringing up the issue of their care home is not any sort of excuse, but its a very similar pattern for boys put into care. Petty crime, then young offenders institution, then more crime, then prison.....

Yep, Damilola was coming back from a computer club organised at the local library.
    3-1 that in a coule of year we are questioning forensics when these two are released on a technicality...