Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Vitamins for Vegetarians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do any of you who are vegetarian take vitamins?
I've been vegetarian for about 10 years and I used to take multivitamins when I was younger but I don't really bother anymore.

Thing is, I'm tired loads of the time and have been anaemic in the past (can't spell it!) due to lack or iron. I've taken B vitamins, iron and some kind of flaxseed oil (the veggie version of fish omega 3) a couple of years ago, however I'm forgetful so it never lasts long.

I'm trying to get into a routine of taking vitamins now hoping that it might make me less tired and a bit less pale! Which ones does everyone take here, if any? :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not a veggie, but:
    Aren't there other foods you can have (as a veggie) which will give you iron and whatnot?
    I take a zinc supplement and a few others but they're nothing to do with my vegetarianism, really.

I did take iron tablets and a multivitamin for years but now I do try and get all my nutrients from food, I do take a multi mineral tablet when I remember (rarely) to supplement things like magnesium and also calcium since I don't drink half as much milk or eat nearly as many dairy products as I once did.
    Spinach, tastes better than an iron tablet.
    briggi wrote:
    I take a zinc supplement and a few others but they're nothing to do with my vegetarianism, really.

I did take iron tablets and a multivitamin for years but now I do try and get all my nutrients from food, I do take a multi mineral tablet when I remember (rarely) to supplement things like magnesium and also calcium since I don't drink half as much milk or eat nearly as many dairy products as I once did.

all sorts of supplements now :yes:
    Im not a vegi but I still supplement with a shit load of vitamins. :yes:
    i also drink about a pint of milk every day
    MrG wrote:
    I drink 4 pints. :razz:
    MrG wrote:

I used to get told off for that.:o
    Ooh! Flaxseed oil?! I really need to up on the omega 3 but I don't wanna eat fishness cause I'm veggie too.

So what's this flaxseed oil stuff? Does it come in a format that tastes nice?
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Ooh! Flaxseed oil?! I really need to up on the omega 3 but I don't wanna eat fishness cause I'm veggie too.

So what's this flaxseed oil stuff? Does it come in a format that tastes nice?
    Here a faq on Flax seed
    Huh... Thanks!
    i'm vegetarian and yes i do. just an ordinary multivitamin. i don't do it because i'm veggie tho' - i've always done it.
    one annoying things i found about being vegan was where to get calcium from - i'm over that now tho'. :razz:
    dark green veg and marmite (not together; work wonders :yes: )
    might be an idea to check out the vegetarian society's website on vitamins and minerals at http://www.vegsoc.org/info/basic-nutrition.html#vita
    rachie004 wrote:
    I don't take vitamin supplements because any attempt at swallowing a torpedo sized tablet just results in me gagging on it and it being hurled into the sink/toilet

I'm pretty under-nurioushed though, but thats because what they feed us at work is shit :D
    I have to hold my nose when swallowing tablets. :sour: :yuck:
    Just be careful that you read the ingredients of the capsules as loads of them contain gelatine and other nasty things.

I just take a general multi-vitamin/mineral tablet. Used to take Sanatogen vegetarian vits though which is quite good.

If you have a good balanced diet then supplements are unnecessary. But I eat rubbishly these days.