Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

06/07 Champions League Season

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Welcome back Champions League.

Firstly, I have to put across my dismay at AC Milan being let into the qualifying stages!!! And they are playing Red Star Belgrade in the next round which I think is unfair as the former had a great chance to get into the group stages this year.

So, Arsenal tonight. No Henry, no Cole (for different reasons obviously, hehe), no Glichy, and a couple more I can't remember. They are gonna face a hostile crowd in Zagreb and can expect a few racist chants. I suppose that can only spur them on. I think I hard 1:0 to Arsenal.

Liverpool tomorrow, I am not impressed by our defence so far, but our first test comes tomorrow, so we'll see. I don't know how Maccabi are even playing when their country is at war, but hell....

I forgot who Hearts have got in the next stage...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Arsenal are also missing Lehmann, Lauren, Lungberg and Diaby. Reyes is anoher want-away like Cole, so he mightened be played for the same cup-tied reasons. You'd think they should still have enough quality to get them through but obviously Henry is a big miss.

How funny it would be if Liverpool didn't qualify, but I can see them scraping probably a 0-0 away and a 1-0 at home, Gerrard to score. ;)

Hearts are playing AEK Athens. Tough enough tie especially as Hearts don't have much experience.
    Really impressed with the Arsenal young guns. Pretty comfortable and as you've said without a whole host of top players.

Really hope Reyes and Cole stay, not looking good though. Real shame to be possibly giving the best left back in the world to our biggest rivals
    GoodFella wrote:
    Really hope Reyes and Cole stay, not looking good though. Real shame to be possibly giving the best left back in the world to our biggest rivals
    Think that is the main downfall - selling him to Chel$ki. He obviously wants away and will be causing upset in the camp with his book and his comments etc. so I think he has to go really but if I was Wenger I'd be very reluctant to sell to Chel$ki as like you say they are the main rivals for anyone wanting to win the premiership this year.
    Think that is the main downfall - selling him to Chel$ki. He obviously wants away and will be causing upset in the camp with his book and his comments etc. so I think he has to go really but if I was Wenger I'd be very reluctant to sell to Chel$ki as like you say they are the main rivals for anyone wanting to win the premiership this year.

But the mugs will pay twice as much as any oher club.

I must say I got to hand it to Arsenal because of the sell-out clause they supposedly have in Cashley's contract: £16m... but £30m for Chelsea. Genius.
    I would still prefer to have Cole though, but then saying that we do have some quality youngsters coming through. BUT NOT TO CHELSEA PLEASE!!
    GoodFella wrote:
    I would still prefer to have Cole though, but then saying that we do have some quality youngsters coming through. BUT NOT TO CHELSEA PLEASE!!

You only want loyal players though, and he's just going to look for more wages if he stays.

I'd cash in, but I'd try and get Gallas in the deal who IMO would be more valuable to l'Arse. Clichy/Flamini could cover left-back.

Saying that though, it's anoher English player gone, and you'll be screwed when the new regulations come in.
    Very impressed with last nights performance. Boys becoming men etc. If Van Persie remains injury free he could be on the verge of superstar breakthrough.

Regarding Cole, he can't possibly play for Arsenal again. I don't want him to stay even if his departure weakens the team. He's done enough damage already. £15m or more (even from Abramovitch FC) and I'd snap your hand off. If it were financially viable I'd love to see him rot in the reserves for a year.

I'm also a bit disappointed in the way Reyes is being handled. I think he's a good player but he's obviously unsettled, Arsene shouldn't stand in his way if he does want to leave but yet again it wouldn't be summer without an Arsenal player to Madrid story. IMHO we shouldn't do business with that club ever again.
    Addict wrote:
    Saying that though, it's anoher English player gone, and you'll be screwed when the new regulations come in.

Not so. IIRC the regulations are on "home grown" players, which also defines foreign players coming through the youth set-up. Cesc, Senderos, Djourou and now Fran Merida and Nacer Bazarite as well as any English player on the verge of a break through (namely Walcott, Connolly, Hoyte, Randall, Gilbert) would all be classed as "home grown". No problems there.

If they're good enough to play, they're good enough to play regardless of nationality.
    Of course that's assuming all those players make it to the first team level.
    Braineater wrote:
    Not so. IIRC the regulations are on "home grown" players, which also defines foreign players coming through the youth set-up. Cesc, Senderos, Djourou and now Fran Merida and Nacer Bazarite as well as any English player on the verge of a break through (namely Walcott, Connolly, Hoyte, Randall, Gilbert) would all be classed as "home grown". No problems there.

If they're good enough to play, they're good enough to play regardless of nationality.

It's a number of players developed by the club and a number within the country...

You should be okay for now