Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nail breakage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just going to cry. Had to be over a month ago, I broke a nail. It happens, I got over it. But it won't grow. Well it does, I didn't become a freak when it broke, but it keeps breaking. I continue the same nail care I did before and the same that I do on every other nail. Every other nail is fine, all non breaking and that glory but not this one, oh no.

I need advice, oh please oh please. I guess in the end I'm looking for products, as any "advice"y type things, well I can bet you I already do/don't do them. Though feel free to offer, I don't want to hinder anybodies advice giving talent.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol u make me laugh, ur so girly about some things and so boyish about others
    I like to mix it up a bit :p Keep it fresh.
    how i like to keep my men :thumb:
    cut it short. Thats the only thing that will stregnthen it. Then wait for it to grow
    They are short, have been since it broke originally. I thought that was quite obvious... since it had broke...

I don't keep my nails at different lengths. Gross. If one broke, they will all be cut short.
    oh sorry, skimmed your post :p

hmm. rub something oily into it daily, like mineral oil or olive oil. Or some of that hand cream for nails too

or buy some of that nail stregnthening varnish stuff
    I've got and do both all those. Solar oil for cuticals. I've got some vitamin and aloe oily thing for the nails, a nail moisturiser/nourisher, hand creams for nails, I've got polishes for hardening, growing, strenghtening, thickening, got a buffer, a shiner a smoother...

Can you get immune to a nail polish if you use it enough? I had a real good one, but its (obviously) not working. I hope not, I've still got another 2 bottles of it.

But thanks.
    I dont know if the american AVON do it, but the nourishing nail 'treatment' with cactus (it just looks like clear nailvarnish tbh), is good for breaking.

Mine have been a nightmare since holiday (probably something to do with me applying false nails then randomly ripping them off and replacing them every few days) but I found this in our old supplies box the other day and my nails have been brilliant since! :)
    Is it a polish or a rub in type thing? I can't find it exactly, though something similar on avon... though I have found it on ebay :chin:... uk ebay :\

Thanks :D I'll have a see later if I can get my hands on one.
    my_name wrote:
    I've got and do both all those. Solar oil for cuticals. I've got some vitamin and aloe oily thing for the nails, a nail moisturiser/nourisher, hand creams for nails, I've got polishes for hardening, growing, strenghtening, thickening, got a buffer, a shiner a smoother...

Can you get immune to a nail polish if you use it enough? I had a real good one, but its (obviously) not working. I hope not, I've still got another 2 bottles of it.

But thanks.

There's yer problem, you're treating them too nice. Need to show them little bastards who's the daddy and starve them of their fancy vitamin treatments, then it'll change its tune and grow like a beanstalk.

On a slightly more serious note, it takes about 4-6 months for a nail to fully regrow (Im not sure how short the nail is).
    If you're fond of manicures then you need to ensure you're not stripping the cuticles away, and try not to use nail varnish remover more than twice a month.

Nail growth normally slows or stops when we're cold/sick/lacking in vitamins (hows your calcium intake?) etc.

Jees I know too much about nails.

Jees I know too much about nails.

In that case your my new best friend :p

I do use polish remover once a week. I'm probably damaging them that way too much, huh.

And I guess I'll go get some yogurt. The best I've got, I took a vitamin one day after seeing a hunchback woman, but that was it :p

Thank you very much :D
    my_name wrote:
    Is it a polish

Indeed it is. :) It looks green in the bottle but comes out clear
    I would just try not to put anything on it for a few days, maybe it just needs to breathe a bit...ok im making it sound like a person now, you know what i mean though.

My nails grow best when i just leave them to it, but i have been biting them really badly this week. I stopped biting my nails years ago but suddenly I have started doing at again.