Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing Surnames

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its more to do with it not being anyones BUSINESS whether a woman is married or not. You cant tell that about a man from his title, so why should people who dont know you have access to that information about a womans love life?
    its more to do with it not being anyones BUSINESS whether a woman is married or not. You cant tell that about a man from his title, so why should people who dont know you have access to that information about a womans love life?

Indeed. I've always thought men should be "master" until they got married... just in the interests of fairness (and it would be amusing for me) :p
    I haven't really taken my husbands surname yet mainly because i cant' really be bothered to hike myself down to the bank etc to change my name - but when my passport runs out in 2011 I might consider changing.

However I think i will probably still keep my maiden name for work - because thats what people know me as and just becase i'm married doesn't make me another person.

I have no objection to being called Mr and Mrs XXX but because i make nearlly all the bookings on everythign we nearly always end up getting called Mr and Mrs my maiden name which kind of annoys him.

I hate the term Ms though - which i have always associated with people who have got to 40 and remained un married and think they are too young for Miss - even though i know that loads of people don't see it that way - I also really hate the term partner as well - but that's another matter.
    i always use the term partner. Were not married, yet boyfriend and girlfriend sounds a bit un-serious and like people who are just dating. I can hardly call him my Live-in-lover, or my bidie-in, when talking in an official capacity.
    I tend to refer to other peoples partners as that too, rather than make assumptions as to their marital status or even ask them, as its none of my business.
    sophia, there is no way in this Earth your surname can be worse than mine. ;)

As for the question - yes, I'll change my name when I get married. I'm a 'Miss' currently, and I'll be a 'Mrs' once I get married. Easy peasy.
    briggi wrote:
    Indeed. I've always thought men should be "master" until they got married... just in the interests of fairness (and it would be amusing for me) :p
    One of my friends is "Master X X X XXXXX" on his bank card.

It made me laugh the first time I saw it.
    I already have the same name as Mr M, weird huh! If I didn't I would change it when we get married. I don't see it as an ownership issue at all, but maybe that's just me.
    Quite, that's why I'm Ms at the moment. Contrary to popular belief, it's not because I'm a lesbian. I don't know why it ever would be but my friends tease me about that.

As to what I'd choose to do - the chances of having a husband any time are really slim so it would have to depend on what mine and my partners names sound like on each other, etc. I hate my surname though so I'd either go the "whole new name" route or take hers.
    My personal opinion is that Ms is tacky and naff, and reminds me too much of neurotic lesbian feminazis, but I can understand why people use it. I hate it, but I always use Ms when I don't know the title of a client, because its safest that way. It's rare you meet someone who's a nazi about being a Mrs or a Miss, but call a Ms a Miss and you'll never here the end of their wittering.

That said, my mum goes mental if someone calls her Ms.
    of all the people I know that use Ms, none of them are neurotic or lesbians come to think of it, and most of them arent feminazis either :P
    I go by Ms sometimes purely because it's no ones business if i am married or not.
    briggi wrote:

that would be great for a lad i know called michael bates
    I never realised you had to keep your maiden name if thats the name you qualified with - is that just doctors, or all professional qualifications?
    \
    I'm one of them Smith's and i would take my hubbys name :)

Mrs does sound old, but oh well
    I would take my husbands surname defo. I've never really not wanted to. I have a bro as well so, he can do his bit as to keep the family name going!

Although my grandad's surname will die out because he was an only child and my 2 uncles only have girls now as my male cousin died sadly when he was 18. But one of the girls has a double barrelled surname now she's married, to include the surname.
    If I took his name and added it to mine it would be stupidly long and unrealistic.

*tries to say it*

yes, yes it would ;)
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    omg hi wrote:
    *tries to say it*

yes, yes it would ;)
    Can you imagine the kids in my class saying it? I have enough trouble as it is with my married name! :lol:
    You're right.
    I'd take his name ; unless it was a really weird last name.
    I just hate when people break tradition.