Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age of cigarettes and knives going up to 18

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    far more so than the outright ban that's going to be introduced.

No it won't, not anytime soon anyway. The taxes raised through the sale of cigs far outweighs the health cost of them, the government doesn't see any need to ban them now when it's profiting so much.
    turlough wrote:
    No it won't, not anytime soon anyway. The taxes raised through the sale of cigs far outweighs the health cost of them, the government doesn't see any need to ban them now when it's profiting so much.

But if it bans it in public it gets more money, from the fines as well as the tax.

Smoking wouldn't be banned, but doing it apart from in your house would be.

Which is wrong. As long as I don't have to breathe that shit in, and a non-smoking room and bar would do, I don't care.
    turlough wrote:

I meant the enclosed ban in public places.
    Toadborg wrote:
    It is entirely irrelevant.

The only relevant questions are?

Is smoking harmful? Yes

Is there any use to it that counters this harm? No

Thus it is purely a danger to public health and should be actively discouraged by society and the government in particular. The degree of discouragement may be debated but there is little doubt that it should be quite severe in my mind......

Do you take the theory of consumer choice seriously?
    nm cant be arsed
    Kermit wrote:

Outside bans are wrong.

Why? When I'm walking around town I don't really want to breathe someone else's smoke in, nor do I want it blown in my face.
    Sofie wrote:
    Why? When I'm walking around town I don't really want to breathe someone else's smoke in, nor do I want it blown in my face.

How many people exactly blow smoke into your face in a day?

How dilute is any smoke which you might have to breathe in?
    Sofie wrote:

There needs to be a compromise, sure it's a bit shit that now and again you get smoke blown in your face but it's not the end of the world.
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you usually have strangers walking shoulder to shoulder with you and blowing smoke in your face?

If you are outdoors and there is someone smoking, say, 3 metres away from you, you couldn't sniff a molecule of their cigarette smoke even if there was a million Pound prize at stake. Let alone any further or if both you and the smoker are walking.
    turlough wrote:
    There needs to be a compromise, sure it's a bit shit that now and again you get smoke blown in your face but it's not the end of the world.

Definitely, compromise is the key word. It seems to be a word that a lot of non-smokers can't understand, they're determined to have it all their own way. They should have a tab and chill the fuck out :yes:
    briggi wrote:
    It seems to be a word that a lot of non-smokers can't understand, they're determined to have it all their own way.

Bit like feminism.
    bongbudda wrote:
    How many people exactly blow smoke into your face in a day?

I've had quite a few people do it to me.
    Do you usually have strangers walking shoulder to shoulder with you and blowing smoke in your face?

I'm usually stood behind them when they do it. I don't see why I should have to be infected (or affected) by someone else's filthy habits.
    Sofie wrote:
    I'm usually stood behind them when they do it. I don't see why I should have to be infected (or affected) by someone else's filthy habits.

:lol:

"Infected" Grow up please.
    turlough wrote:
    :lol:

"Infected" Grow up please.

:rolleyes: You know what I mean.
    Sofie wrote:
    :rolleyes: You know what I mean.

I do, I just think you're making an everest out of a disabled mole's molehill.
    Sofie wrote:
    I've had quite a few people do it to me.

The only situation I can think of is if you're queuing for something, be the bus or something else, or somebody is sitting on the same park bench as you are and the wind happens to be blowing the wrong way.

Otherwise I'm sorry to say there is no way you're going to be affected by a smoker walking on the street ahead/behind/towards you, or someone sitting on the grass even 5 or 6 metres away from you.

If a man is alone in the forest, can he smoke a cigarette? Or should he think of the inhabitants of the nearest village and refrain from lighting up?
    I can see Sofie's point, it can't be nice to have smoke blown in your face. On the other hand, i am a smoker and i do make a concerted effort to not upset anyone with my smoking- ie, standing away from people at bus stops or going outside. I'm not entirely sure why, when i (and indeed most smokers i know) are fairly polite about something we know is a horrible habit but we enjoy it, non smokers decide to ostracize us because they don't like it. I know quite a few people's personalities i don't like, but i don't send them outside or say they can only have their personality in their own home!
    I don't like people eating stinky burgers and listening to stupid ipods near me. But I wouldn't dream of banning them from doing it outdoors.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't like people eating stinky burgers and listening to stupid ipods near me. But I wouldn't dream of banning them from doing it outdoors.

But you're NOT breathing any of it in, are you?:rolleyes:
    Otherwise I'm sorry to say there is no way you're going to be affected by a smoker walking on the street ahead/behind/towards you

Bollocks
    Sofie wrote:

And so what if you are, the air is already full of toxic shit from car fumes. Are you campaigning for car users to use hydro cars or electic powered cars. Probably not, no offence sofie, I'm sure you're a nice girl and all but people who complain about such trivial matters as this really really pisses me off. :mad: There, anger released. :)
    But some people need cars to get to places. will smoing benifit people in anyway? I seriously doubt it.
    Sofie wrote:
    But some people need cars to get to places. will smoing benifit people in anyway? I seriously doubt it.

No it doesn't benefit people in a good way. But the fact remains, there are millions of smokers out there. It is an addiction, now you're getting enough as it is that it'll be banned indoors, we do need a compromise. Now if that means that you might have to get the odd bit of smoke blown in your face that will do fuck all damage to your lungs, then I think you should be grateful for that and stop complaining.
    Depends how addicted they are :p
    Sofie wrote:
    I could well breathe unpleasant food smells, yes.

Bollocks
    Oh come off it. A person smoking in the street 10 metres away doesn't affect you in any way. And you know it.

You probably couldn't detect smoke particles with the most powerful machine known to man, let alone you breathing anything that is going to affect you or bother you.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there is a safe distance from which to stand from a lit cigarette? Do you think you would be breathing harmful substances from someone smoking 20 metres away? How about 200 metres? How about 10 km? How about 1,000 km?
    Aladdin - no I don't think that. I just don't think it's fair that I should walk around town (it's usually very crowded) and have to breathe in other peoples' smoke. Why should I?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh come off it. A person smoking in the street 10 metres away doesn't affect you in any way. And you know it.

You probably couldn't detect smoke particles with the most powerful machine known to man, let alone you breathing anything that is going to affect you or bother you.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there is a safe distance from which to stand from a lit cigarette? Do you think you would be breathing harmful substances from someone smoking 20 metres away? How about 200 metres? How about 10 km? How about 1,000 km?
    Also, to quote Bill Bryson, you're more likely to develop Lung cancer from your budgie than you are from inhaling passive smoke. So that's not a valid defence either.
    Sofie wrote:
    Aladdin - no I don't think that. I just don't think it's fair that I should walk around town (it's usually very crowded) and have to breathe in other peoples' smoke. Why should I?
    Why should people change their chosen lifestyle to suit you?
    AmsyBamsy wrote:
    Why should people change their chosen lifestyle to suit you?

Because it affects everyone? Why should I have to beathe in other peoples' dirty habits? And quite a few smokers are inconsiderate about it anyway. Yes, there are a few I know of who will ask if I'm okay with them smoking around me, but not everyone's like that.
    Sofie wrote:

Because that's kind of the point of being part of a society.

Other people do things which you might not agree with, or like, but because we like living in big groups we have to live with.

Of course if someone is really fat (easily as dangerous as smoking) it doesnt harm you, but then neither does outside second hand smoke - to any degree which is going to reduce your life.
    But surely if you breathe alot of second hand smoke in, it will affect you?