Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fucking dislocating kneecap

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Anyone know much about this? It fucking did it again today (it is really sore. REALLY sore.) and it went back in though after a few seconds... felt like an age, I just forced my leg back, in it went.

Mum says I will need physio (rather than an opp), but anyone here have experience/knowledge? Helpful advice? I don't want an opp, as this will weaken the knee furthur anyway. Ask mum more tomorow, she is a nurse.

And Franki, if you read this topic - I did it on the way to see you at McDonalds today. :p Fucks sake. I tried, ok, the mind was willing, but the body weak.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stop moving your leg about. right now. stop it :p

not helpful at all am i?
  • Options
    that used to happen with my shoulder a lot, it would just pop in and out.........hasn't happened in a while actually i'm probably due for a dislocation, now it's just my ankles that keep giving way ffs, old before my time........i'd say physio's the way forward mate.
  • Options
    amputation would solve your problems
  • Options
    go to the docs. only way really.
    If you need physio then get it, if you need an op then get that - operations might weaken your knee but that might not be such a bad thing if you're only going to wreck it by not having an op
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Anyone know much about this? It fucking did it again today (it is really sore. REALLY sore.) and it went back in though after a few seconds... felt like an age, I just forced my leg back, in it went.

Mum says I will need physio (rather than an opp), but anyone here have experience/knowledge? Helpful advice? I don't want an opp, as this will weaken the knee furthur anyway. Ask mum more tomorow, she is a nurse.

And Franki, if you read this topic - I did it on the way to see you at McDonalds today. :p Fucks sake. I tried, ok, the mind was willing, but the body weak.

ive had the same thing, it dislocated 5 or 6 times in the space of 2 years then eventually it happend properly and stayed popped out and i broke the bone. Since then its only happend again once. I suggest you have it looked at before something serious happens, im not sure they would do anything though to be honest.

How does it happen, are you physically active, does it happen during sport?
  • Options
    You will have to have physio, that is essential.

I speak from a great deal of experience
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    olaola wrote:
    ive had the same thing, it dislocated 5 or 6 times in the space of 2 years then eventually it happend properly and stayed popped out and i broke the bone. Since then its only happend again once. I suggest you have it looked at before something serious happens, im not sure they would do anything though to be honest.

How does it happen, are you physically active, does it happen during sport?

You broke the bone? :o That must have hurt like hell. I have had it dislocate properly twice now, as in, it stayed out for a while. 1st time the paramedic popped it back in, this time, it stayed out for a few secs, then I straightened the leg and it went back. It has clicked in and out quickly a few times before though.

I am not physically active or sorty. It just happens when I twist my leg badly as far as I can tell.
    You will have to have physio, that is essential.

I speak from a great deal of experience

Thanks. How long does the physio take, or does it depend on the individual?
  • Options
    ive had the same problem for about 8 years now, at first it happened every couple of months or so, all i had to do was turn around too quick and out it pops. now it happens probably bout twice a year it is getting more painful although now mainly it happens because i knock the kneecap itself.

same as you it usually just pops back in by itself but ive had a few times where its stayed out and ive had to actually get my friends to pull my leg straight and pop it back in for me becuase the pains been too much to do it myself.

i dont know if others have found this or if im being silly but if im honest it had really stopped me doing loads of things i really want to do. i cant go skiing, surfing or really any activity where i may fall at a wierd angle, i really wanna do a bungee jump but theres an 120% chance my knee would pop out mid air and i can pretty much gaurantee that wouldnt be fun. i find myself just constantly bending my knees, in fact i think the only time ill risk my legs being straight is when im standing still or walking. i even sleep in the foetal position just incase. to people reading this theyll probably think "how sad" and "surely its not that bad" but it really is, the pain is just something i cant describe, at first it was just a slight twinge but now i can be in agony for days after.

when it first happened i went for physio for about 6 months but if im perfectly honest my knee popped out more in them 6 months than probably in all the other times put together, so i stopped going. it was suggested that i could have an operation but my muscles were so weak (the worst the consultant had ever seen for my age) that i had to strengthen them first through the phsyio so i never managed to get it (wish i had know though)

my advice would be to just to be more careful in situations (i.e squeezing through a tight gap can be the best when you catch it cos you cant move to put it back in) and if you can try and do the phsyio then hopefully you can get the operation, i defiently wish i had!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Thanks. How long does the physio take, or does it depend on the individual?

Depends on the injury and whether you do what your physio tells you to or not.