Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Emigrating - Perth WA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello,

I'm not sure which forum this should be in, maybe housing or work, but anyway...

My aunt, uncle, and 3 cousins all live in Perth WA. They emigrated from Scotland about 12 years ago and love it. To cut a long story short, my aunt suggested that I move to Perth because:

(a)she reckons I would fit in (my cousins are similar ages) and
(b)the type of job I want to do is big business over there.

I'm 22 , uni is in the bag, my long-term boyfriend and I have just split up, and there isnt exactly a long line of friends wanting to hang out with me. I'm also not settled in a job here at all and I still live with my parents. I'm wondering if I should just go. Take a chance. I'm really not the independent, adventure type who went digging wells and building houses on a crazy gap year so I guess I'm scared. Has anyone else upped sticks and moved abroad? What were your reasons behind it? Was it a good decision? Obviously it's ultimately something I have to decide on, but do you think I should go?

Any input would be great. Thanks :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Could you go on a hoilday there and see how you get on first?
  • Options
    Yeah that is a possibility. I'm really not keen on flying and I don't want to be flying back and forth. Plus it's so expensive. But maybe a holiday, or getting an open ticket, is the way to go.

Thanks!
  • Options
    At least that way you get a taster.
  • Options
    dont even consider it until youve been there on a holiday at least.

My uncle has emigrated to perth actually, and LOVES it there.
  • Options
    Nah fuck it.

Don't pussyfoot around testing the water. Jump in at the deep end. That's what I'd do. I know it goes completely against TheSite's ethos of researching and making sure everything is planned etc. but by the sounds of it, you're looking for a clean break - go for it.
  • Options
    dont even consider it until youve been there on a holiday at least.

My uncle has emigrated to perth actually, and LOVES it there.

I have been twice before. Last time I was there was 1999 I think :) Thanks for your input! And to Thunderstruck!
  • Options
    I reckon Australia is the best english speaking nation to be if you want a good balance between work and family life and there's so many Aussies over here in London we need to send some people over to balance the numbers .. lol
  • Options
    I'd go for it, as you can always come back if you don't like it there.

Just be aware that getting permanent residency in Australia costs a lot of money. Best get saving.

I think you'd love it, especially if you have family that you are close to over there. The only big issue is how far away Australia is- it was homesickness that brought my parents back over here- but its a wonderful country.

I'm definitely proud of my Australian citizenship.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Especially remember that Perth is very isolated, which you may love, but it's not for everyone.

:yes:

That's what I was going to say. Australia itself isn't going to be the hugest culture shock (well, not completely anyway) but from the words of my best friend - a Perth native - it can feel like "the last city at the end of the world". Depends if you like that feeling or not, or indeed feel that way about it.

Clean break sounds good though, so why not just go for it, as Thunderstruck said :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks guys, this is all really helpful and certainly food for thought :) I don't think the isolation of the city would bother me. I don't like cities with no coast, but Perth has that so it should be okay.

I guess I feel like I'm running away. Maybe I am and that's not a bad thing!

I was speaking to my friend about it earlier this evening. She pointed out that if it really was awful I could be home in 24hours. I was thinking maybe I'll save/work here for a few more weeks and then go until Christmas...

She was also like GO GO GO! Great opportunity.
  • Options
    Do it, book yourself a flight and get over there. Its a fantastic opportunity and one you shouldn't pass up. Personally i'd move straight there, dont go on holiday first it'll put doubt into your mind (e.g. i like it now but its just a holiday, i might not like living here). I can't see anything bad coming from it. It'll give you a chance of a clean break, you'll get to experience a whole new way of life, etc etc and even if you dont like it and come back at least you'll be able to say i've given it a try.

Take a risk, whatever you decide to do i wish you good luck.
  • Options
    Hi. Dont know if you've decided yet, but thought I'd add my input anyway :)
    I'm in Perth as I type. I'm living out here for 3 months. It seems like a nice place. Every one is very friendly, seems to have an Ok nightlife, but I can see where the idea of it being the last city on the planet comes from. I've spent a fair bit of time in the bush too, so to me getting back to Perth makes it seem like a metropolis!
    Out of interest what job would you be looking for? I'm here for a geology internship, and if its anything to do with the mining industry I'd definately recomend it. Theyre crying out for people!

I forgot to add: I could imagine myself living here, but I know what you mean about the home sickness. I'd find it very hard to move out here on my own at the moment, but who knows about in the future.