Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Newcastle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to newcastle next month and I havent really planned anything as of yet! :D
Looks like its about the same price to fly from London as it is to get the train, so I might do that unless anyone has any better ideas? (No coach, takes far too long!)

My main question is accomadation... we havent planned anything, was just going to get there and find a b&b or cheap hotel... is this easily done around the centre? and roughtly how much are we looking at per night. Dont need anything fancy!

Cheers! :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Including the airport taxes?
  • Options

It was actually a mate who looked it up. Im sure he said The flight would be about £51 and the train would be about £52...
  • Options
    There's a new youth hostel RIGHT in the centre of town called the Albatross which is (by all accounts) perfectly decent and much, much cheaper than any hotel you'd get that's central. Otherwise there's a Holiday Inn on the Quayside that is pretty popular and where a lot of my visiting friends have stayed. Then of course there are all the other usual suspects dotted around. There's another YH in Jesmond that's a short taxi ride out of the centre and has its own little nightlife scene though it's a bit poncy and generally rather shit if you ask me (which you didn't :p ).

As it is the best city in the UK you will have a fantastic time wherever you go and wherever you stay :thumb:

eta: link
  • Options
    That place looks quite nice actually. Thanks Briggi!
  • Options

A fiver to more than half your journey time. I'd say it's worth it.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    A fiver to more than half your journey time. I'd say it's worth it.

About £40, when I looked.
    Of course, if the tickets are a fiver or so, then it's about the same price.
  • Options
    About £40, when I looked.
    Of course, if the tickets are a fiver or so, then it's about the same price.

What airline is that?

If you fly Easyjet from London to Newcastle airtax should only be a fiver.
  • Options
    Bear in mind that the airport is about nine miles out of the city, and the only way in is on Metro, which costs about £2.50 each for a single, with a journey time of about 30 mins.

The train, on the other hand, takes a smudge under 3 hours, and you don't have to arse about with checking in or getting to the airport. Plus, Central Station is right in the heart of Newcastle's drinking district.

I wouldn't go by plane unless the price saving was over £15, to be quite honest, as its a faff, and when you take into account getting to and from the airport and checking in its no quicker. The local paper did a test not so long ago and GNER trains were about 15 mins quicker door-to-door.

The Travelodge by my work is alright, like any other Travelodges, but its right on the Quayside. Just don't start doing a striptease like the last hen party we saw did :impissed:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Plus, Central Station is right in the heart of Newcastle's drinking district.

Thats what I like to hear mate!! :D

Sounds like the train might be less hassle then! and I didnt realise it was that quick!
    Does it make much of a difference who we book the tickets through as to what price we will pay?
    I want to book them this week before it gets nearer the time and prices start going up!
  • Options
    The London-Newcastle train operator is GNER (www.gner.co.uk) but it doesn't really matter who you book with.

You'd be best off going to your local train station and booking there. Bear in mind that GNER only do the cheapest fares from London Kings Cross to Newcastle.

The train's not slow (the quickest is 2 and 3/4 hours, most take about 3 hours), and there's a train every 30 mins from London to Newcastle, so if you're flexible with times you should get a decent deal. And the bar is always well stocked;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The London-Newcastle train operator is GNER (www.gner.co.uk) but it doesn't really matter who you book with.

You'd be best off going to your local train station and booking there. Bear in mind that GNER only do the cheapest fares from London Kings Cross to Newcastle.

The train's not slow (the quickest is 2 and 3/4 hours, most take about 3 hours), and there's a train every 30 mins from London to Newcastle, so if you're flexible with times you should get a decent deal. And the bar is always well stocked;)

Cheers fella!
    Kings Cross is just a tube ride from me so thats not a problem!

right, well I will get down the train station and book it up this week! :yippe: