Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing Surnames

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd be Mrs.

At the moment I'm Ms on my Co-op stuff and my BCU stuff, but Miss everywhere else.

Oh, and I'm Miss to one of my old dinner ladies from school. I've known her since I was 4 and she still calls me Miss Murphy when I see her in the Co-op!
    OMG you met her. I would have been star struck!
    I will be taking Chris's name when we get married as i think it's nice to all have the same surname.
    Am in two minds. I'll always be Dr go_away once I've qualified, so my maiden name will stay with me throughout my career. Not sure if I want to change it if I get married. Agreed with my current boyfriend that if I take his name, I get final veto on childrens names :D
    \
    I think I'll probably change my name, traditional and all that.

I'm Miss at the moment, which is ok, but I'll be buggered when I get married. I don't like Mrs cos it sounds old, and it'll be my mother-in-law's name which I think would be weird. And I think it's more possessive than changing your name, cos it's just Mr's without the possessive apostrophe.

But when I was younger I always thought Ms = divorced, and even though I know that's not always the case, I still don't think I'd like to be a Ms. And I hate saying it. Mzzzz. It just doesn't sound right to me. :(
    Why? Can't you apply a Dr title to your married name?
    \
    you could change it to something you like whenever you want though. Change it pre-qualifying/publishing.
    \
    If I ever get married, I'd probably go double-barrelled with my current surname, as I like having a unique-ish surname plus I want to keep it for proffessionsl resons as well. I will proabaly be known as a Mrs as well.
    True. People with silly, sorry, unique surnames certainly stand out.
    \
    Mine is probably the second most common surname, so I don't stand out. I don't mind, I'm happy blending in :D
    If I get married, I'm going to change my surname. One less name for people to spell/pronnounce wrong then (hopefully) :rolleyes:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am a traditionalist and am now Mrs Mist.
    Mrs Missy Mist :D
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Mrs Missy Mist :D

Now, that's a mouthful :p

If I took his name and added it to mine it would be stupidly long and unrealistic.
    i've already had my surname changed once! i was on my second one by the age of 5 or something.

so yeh i'd happily change my surname when i get married. for me it's part of the whole thing.

i'd love to marry a mr locket.
    i'd love to marry a mr locket.

hehe lucy locket :D

im going to take my husbands surname when i get married, i hate my surname now!
    I found this on BBC news.

What do you think about changing your surname when you get married?

I think I'd take the surname of my husband to be (the hypothetical one, that is!), unless it was a really awful surname.

I should think Sophia will have some opinions about this!

ETA and if a mod would like to add the 'g' into the title, that would be great! :blush:
    my mum was engaged to someone once, she dumped him because his surname was Prat!
    I'd be happy to change mine to theirs.
    hm, if i ever became a professional with the fancy qualified name i'd want to keep my surname in my professional name....as its more personal and it's an achievment
    if i married my boyfriend i'd probably have one of the most common surnames ever - i wouldn't mind being a Mrs but professionally, i'd like to keep my surname. Plus my surname wouldn't suit to be double barrelled.
    Dunno if that makes sense.
    My surname is a bit unique, but not posh unique. I think that there are americans with my surname too. I'd probably expect my wife to take my name.
    When I was younger, my only hope for my future husband was that he would have a short surname, cause I was sooo sick of my stupid long name (first name 9 letters, middle name 9 letters, surname 10 letters). Mr. Kaff's surname is 9 letters long. :grump:

Anyway, I don't mind taking it, I'd much rather that that keep my own or double barrel it (never fits on forms as it is), but we once had a brief discussion about both changing it to something else - either another family name, or something we both like and/or find humorous, so I'm hoping to work that angle ;)

And I'll be Mrs (at the moment I'm Miss). Ms has never sat well with me.
    I'll happily take my 'husbands' surname. Well, unless it was something horrific like 'pigbottom' then I'd probably keep my own.

I have seriously considered changing my surname by Deed Poll before now though.
    I have made a name for myself using my surname, so if I did change to my wife's surname i'd have to keep my own for professional purposes, which seems a bit silly to me.

Anyway, I would hope my wife would change her name to mine.

Doubled barelled names is a no no for me!
    kaffrin wrote:
    And I'll be Mrs (at the moment I'm Miss). Ms has never sat well with me.

I thought Ms was only used by older women who wanted to hide the fact they weren't married.
    red_jelly wrote:
    I thought Ms was only used by older women who wanted to hide the fact they weren't married.
    not at all. LOADS of people use Ms, for various reasons.
    red_jelly wrote:

Bullshit.

As SCC said, there are myriad reasons for using Ms; the sole reason is certainly not what you [and a LOT of other people] seem to perceive as some embarassment at not being able to snare a man. Oh woe is the woman who hasn't managed to snare herself a husband... even worse if everyone knows it. How do they live with themselves? :crazyeyes