Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Replying to a text message time frame

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so...when you text some one how long do you expect it to take for them to reply?

Obviously if it is some one who just doesnt usually check their phone or reply to messages anyway, you would expect it to take hours, or days or never get a reply at all.

But how long do you wait when the person you text normally replies with out fail, with in an hour, like usually 5 minutes?

And what do you do then...text again? call them? Ignore them because your pissed off? Decide to ignore them because you think they are ignoring you?

I am abit peeved right now because no one is replying to texts at all, and its not like im after a long chat, just need to check something with them.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    subject13 wrote:
    Ok, so...when you text some one how long do you expect it to take for them to reply?

Obviously if it is some one who just doesnt usually check their phone or reply to messages anyway, you would expect it to take hours, or days or never get a reply at all.

But how long do you wait when the person you text normally replies with out fail, with in an hour, like usually 5 minutes?

And what do you do then...text again? call them? Ignore them because your pissed off? Decide to ignore them because you think they are ignoring you?

I am abit peeved right now because no one is replying to texts at all, and its not like im after a long chat, just need to check something with them.

Sure your phone is working?
    Sure your phone is working?

good point actually, I have had text messages back log on me!

Just ring them! if they are your mates im sure there not going to mind!
    It would depend how important it was. I would ring them mate, sounds like your texts are a bit fucked.
    I waited about an hour or so before I got a reply from a friend of mine yesterday. TBH though, I wasn't exoecting a reply from him.
    text yourself then you will know if its working
    Thing is reason i texted was to find out when they would be home to ring them, to sort some things out for the week. They are at a birthday party tonight you see but i never got told what time it finished.

The other people i texted i saw anyway...wish i had asked them if they had got my texts now! Bugger!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Meh. I dunno, sometimes upto a day for reply.

I ring em if I really need them.
    I am the shittest at replying to texts unless its something important. I promise myself I'll reply later then forget then 3 days later its too late. If its important I just call them. The worst texts, that do not deserve any reply, are the ones saying 'hey, what you up to?' which my boyfriend still sends me, and to which I never reply. some people never learn... /bitterness
    As much as people might consider a " time frame " in which they'd expect a reply to a text you should also consider how busy the network is. Some networks have been having problems these last few days as far as i'm aware so this is always a possibilty that should be taken into consideration.

It's been happening to me for day's now, people not getting my texts until hours later and vice versa, i got a phonecall after *just* getting a text asking why after 5 minutes of it being sent i hadnt replied [because i reply right away when i get texts - always]
    I'm another who always rings if I want an immediate reply. My mates that actually have mobiles are godawful at texting, as am I some of the time... though it's a moot point now I've managed to make yet another phone disappear. I'm done with mobiles, too much hassle.
    briggi wrote:
    I'm done with mobiles, too much hassle.

I agree, I hate having people know where I am the whole time too. I've started turning my phone off alot more now, it takes up too much of my life. ha does anyone remember 'car phones'? We had one in the middle section between the 2 front seats on a cord, it was great. Would be so illegal now!
    i don't. they reply when they reply. i never think 'ooh she'll reply in 32 minutes time'.
    The most annoying thing about texts is having a conversation in them. Really I'm convinced now that it's just a giant con created by the phone companies who knew that they would be used like this. It costs way more than phoning to have a text conversation. You can get an entire hour on the phone for 5p, that's like one text.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm terrible with my phone. If someone texts me then they are lucky if my phone has power, if not, it's on silent so I don't notice. But people know this by now and don't expect a reply for a while.

And I expect the same sort of thing from others. People have lives and don't always have their phone at their side all the time. I respect that.
    I expect a reply within 10 minutes or else i become moody and dont reply to them when they finally text back
    film_buff wrote:
    I expect a reply within 10 minutes or else i become moody and dont reply to them when they finally text back

That's a bit impatient and silly.
    That's a bit impatient and silly.

:yes: Never understood people like that.
    Sofie wrote:
    :yes: Never understood people like that.

There could be genuine reasons why they can't respond. Or even if not, it is their prerogative when to respond to a non-urgent message.
    There could be genuine reasons why they can't respond. Or even if not, it is their prerogative when to respond to a non-urgent message.
    Tbh.

There's times when I get really impatient, like when I'm asking them something of relative importance, but other times it's just like...meh, bit sad but whatever.

If a message isn't of importance, it can sometimes take me about 20 minutes just to type out the reply if I'm doing something else. Because I just can't be arsed.
    I text more than I talk on the phone, which has been pointed out to me is a bad thing :razz:

I'm not usually arsed that much, but if I'm trying to arrange stuff then it's good if they text back soon, just for the sake of convenience.

If I'm texting somebody I like then I'll probably be checking my phone every 10 seconds or that :blush:
    Bri-namite wrote:
    If I'm texting somebody I like then I'll probably be checking my phone every 10 seconds or that :blush:
    :yes: She text this morning on the way to work and still hasn't answered. And I know it's her lunch hour. Growl. i just want to know when she's off tomorrow and I keep thinking I must have missed her reply. But no.

[/thread-jack]

Damn you, just made me check my phone again. :(
    Text me back at 1.30am drunk, asked me to ring them, Ended up having a massive argument in which she confessed to getting off with loads of other blokes during a drunk game of spin the bottle.

Now the next day she has decided me and her are through for good and can only be friends...if i want.

All i texted about was what days she was working because i was going to buy a train ticket to go see her later this week :(

Should be moved to relationships with that ending.
    Well I text this girl 3 years ago & haven't had a reply yet. So I am guessing replies can take quiet a long time. :razz:
    HIT wrote:
    Well I text this girl 3 years ago & haven't had a reply yet. So I am guessing replies can take quiet a long time. :razz:
    I probably wouldn't hold your breathe for a reply :p
    If I want a reply I'll call, if its just time wasting crap I'll text. I dont' have a time frame. Most people text back right away, if they don't I'm sure they have their reasons, ones which I probably don't care about.

Though then I'll get a message half a day later, in a reply, and I sit there thinking to myself fo the next hour what the hell they're on about as I'd of forgotten I'd sent them a message in the first place.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    HIT wrote:
    Same here, though I guess my reasons were quite different. ;)

When I get a message, I reply ASAP, I think it's only polite. However, if I send a message and they don't reply right away I'm not too bothered, unless it's something urgent. But if they don't reply in the same day that I sent it, I expect the reply to contain an apology and/or explanation.