Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Glasses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've found out this morning that I've got to have glasses for watching tv and driving. Came as a bit of a shock cos I didn't think they were that bad, but when I put the "magic glasses" on I could really see a difference :(

Anyone got any recommendations or advice for what to look for when choosing frames and where to look? Rather aptly, I'm completely blind when it comes to looking for glasses!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i got mine from vision express- or optical express i can't remember which as they have more trendy glasses.
    It depends how much money you've got to spend on them.
    Ballerina wrote:

About £150 max.
    You should get a decent set of goggles for that. Best advice I can give you is to ask the optician for advice. jsut cause you think as pair of glasses look cool cause Mrs-Famous-Celeb wears them doesn't mean they'll suit you.

Different face shapes suit different frames. Your optician will help you out with that.

And in my opinion stay clear of the "extras" on lenses. Scratch-free-glare-free-reactalight lenses don't work/make a dot of difference.
    Ballerina wrote:
    i got mine from vision express- or optical express i can't remember which as they have more trendy glasses.

i hate vision express, mainly because the amount of money i have to spend on them is minimal and they charge shocking prices.

specsavers is the way to go :thumb:
    omg hi wrote:
    specsavers is the way to go :thumb:

Yeah they do some nice ones in there. I really really need a new pair, mine are all bent out of shape (think i sat on them whilst drunk), either that or one of my ears is an inch lower than the other.

I've actually not worn mine in months, i'm pretty sure thats why im getting loads of headaches. :chin:
    i wouldnt bother spending a load of money on your 1st pair of glasses, chances are you'll lose or break the first few pairs until you get used to having them.
    You'll hardly be using them anyway unless you drive or watch tv a lot so i'd just a cheap £30 pair tbh
    And in my opinion stay clear of the "extras" on lenses. Scratch-free-glare-free-reactalight lenses don't work/make a dot of difference.
    And I say the total OPPOSITE.

ALWAYS have anti glare and the scratch resistant coating - they do work and will save you a fortune when you drop them on the floor, and they don't scratch. Plus, who wants to take a photo of someone with glasses on, if the glasses will just reflect the flash? Have a think about it, seriously - I've been wearing glasses for 13 years and have always bought the 'extras'.

Reactalight lenses, however are a totally different ball game.
    Agreed that the extras are a waste of money, however i always have polycarbonate lenses to avoid the bottom of a milk bottle look cuz i like thin frames but have quite a high prescription. As far as styles go, try loads on and then you will get an idea about shapes and colours that suit you. Only specs i've had that were not great were ultralight rimless ones, the looked great but were way to fragile.

I do have to disagree with that.

I have just bought two pairs on BOGOF from Specsavers... I got a paid of Red or Dead that were £125 including lenses - but I like to have them thinned and the anti-glare/anti-scratch stuff, and so it cost £60 extra. And I got another designer pair free - without the special lenses though, just for spares. And the glare on them is horrific! You can't even see my eyes when the light is shining on them.

So I do think it's worth getting a nice pair, with the extras if you want, even if they are costly - it's worth it because they'll last longer.

My Dad has Reactalight lenses, has done for about 15 years or something daft - he used to be a taxi driver and he swears by them.
    And I say the total OPPOSITE.

ALWAYS have anti glare and the scratch resistant coating - they do work and will save you a fortune when you drop them on the floor, and they don't scratch. Plus, who wants to take a photo of someone with glasses on, if the glasses will just reflect the flash? Have a think about it, seriously - I've been wearing glasses for 13 years and have always bought the 'extras'.

:yes: tbh. I get all the extras even though i dont wear my glasses all the time, but the time i didnt bother i got scratches on my glasses within weeks, plus if you ever plan to wear your glasses in the evening which is when even contact lense wearers will wear them, then its a pain unless you have anti glare as every light will reflect off them.
    Take your prescription and buy online if you want designer glasses. I haven't done it, but I've heard you can get them much cheaper than in the shops. The specsavers website has a decent guide to what frames suit what face types in general.
    To me the extras (anti-reflective, anti-glare etc) are really important and I'd prefer to spend more on the lenses even if it means a cheaper frame.
    I'm not normally one for snap decisions, but I've been to Specsavers this morning and bought my glasses already. I got two pairs for £99 - one with tinted sunglasses lenses (free) with scratch resistant coating on (extra £12) and one clear pair with anti-glare/anti scratch coating on (£30). All in all, £141 for everything.

The woman I spoke to was really helpful. She didn't try to bombard me with the extras and make me pay a fortune either, which was nice.