Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Age of cigarettes and knives going up to 18

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote:
    There's one for buying tippex as well :yes:.

i work at tesco and the tills come up with an age prompt thingy when someone buys spoons aswell. whether or not you have to be 16 to buy spoons i'm not sure!
    LeedsLad wrote:
    I agree with this move, but admittedly it'll be difficult to make it work.

My suggestion would be that retailers extend the 'Check 21' scheme currently used for alcohol to cigarettes and knives as well.

even though the required age atm is 16? surely then you shuld 'check 18' or something?
    Goody, more age restrictions on sales for me to remember on till :lol: We had another training video on this the other day, with a really fun test as well.

Having the age restriction set to 18 is a good idea in my opinion, if you limit everything to one age then it's much easier for shop assistants to remember who they can or can't sell to. Heh. Not that I have any excuse, like Lucifer said, the tills come up with a prompt when you serve something with an age restriction on.

I think smoking is awful, and the more restrictions on it the better. If it stops only a handful of people starting to smoke then that's great.
    Goody, more age restrictions on sales for me to remember on till :lol: We had another training video on this the other day, with a really fun test as well.

Do you work at Asda? I have to go for that too.
    Co-op :)
    Apparently it's now 'company policy' to watch this video 4 times a year.
    Our new manager is a cunt. These are also company policies:
    - Don't have the back door open EVEN IF THERE IS STOCK OUTSIDE because of the airconditioning that doesn't exist in the stockroom where the door is.
    - Things bought to eat while at work must have the receipt signed by 3 people AND THE BARCODE SCRIBBLED OUT.
    - Do not put dinosaurs on my computer!!!!!!!!!!1111!

AAAAAAAArrrgh.
    Let's get the issue of knives out of the way first. I agree that this one should be brought up to 18. It should have been raised to that years ago. However, I also believe companies have a duty to ensure their staff know exactly what the law is. It amazes me how many people in the retail sector don't know what the law governing the sale of knives is.

As for cigarettes, this could be extremely difficult. Many people who smoke now will be aged 16 and 17. If this means more people who are barely 18 being sent in to get cigarettes for those of 16 and 17 coming into shops, (and anyone who works in retailing can understand this problem) it could make things very difficult. It is already a criminal offence to sell cigarettes to someone aged 16 or over who intends to give them to someone under that age. (the same criteria applies to the sale of alcohol, knives, matches and any other age-restricted products)

I see a problem regularly in the shop. I will ask someone for proof of age, and they usually don't have any. Five minutes later, they return with their parents. Since I am in doubt about the age of the person whom will ultimately use the cigarettes, I have to refuse the sale. It's what I've been trained to do. Generally, I am horrendously strict on identification. If the law was changed, I would have to be even more so. It's already a difficult area, and an increase in the legal age one can smoke could initially be very problematic.
    Do people ever get pissed off at you for refusing the sale after you've asked for ID, SG? We've got new badges that say "Under 21? I've got to ask you for ID, it's my job" on them. Just in case people thought it was personal...
    Do people ever get pissed off at you for refusing the sale after you've asked for ID, SG? We've got new badges that say "Under 21? I've got to ask you for ID, it's my job" on them. Well, mine says 221, but whatever.
    Yes. Many of them get irritated. Some start shouting abuse at me. Usually, this confirms to me that my suspicions of them being under age were right. I don't have to wear a badge detailing a Look 21 policy, but there are signs all over the shop about them. Mainly because I put them up there. People do get annoyed, but I simply will not take the risk of breaking the law. Of course, if someone does have ID, I will look at it, and if I'm satisfied, I'll hand it back to them, saying "thank you, sir" or something like that. I'm kind but very very firm.

I understand entirely if people get irritated, but they must understand also that those of us who work in the retail sector do not want to be hammered by fines and possible prison sentences.
    I know - our district manager brought in a decoy last week and since our cashiers on a weekend are all under 18, they have to seek permision from a member of staff who is over 18 before they can sell alcohol. Unfortunately, Dee (the person she asked) didn't look at the person ... Now we all have to wear badges.

I'm not keen on this law that makes the person who mistakenly sells alcohol to someone underage liable to a fine.
    I know - our district manager brought in a decoy last week and since our cashiers on a weekend are all under 18, they have to seek permision from a member of staff who is over 18 before they can sell alcohol. Unfortunately, Dee (the person she asked) didn't look at the person ... Now we all have to wear badges.

I'm not keen on this law that makes the person who mistakenly sells alcohol to someone underage liable to a fine.
    I wasn't too clued up about alcohol laws until earlier this year. We have several people this year who have transferred from the bars, so they have a meticilous knowledge of laws. According to one mate of mine who worked in bars for seven years, (and who is now doing wonders for our alcohol sales) the reason this law is there is to hammer the message home. It seems to pass on the responsibility from the company to the individual. In a sense, it does seem fair, but in another, it seems a form of buck-passing to me.

I'm often asked to witness sales like this. One of our staff is aged 17, so whenever she's on the tills, I stay nearby. Unfortunately, I end up taking over quite a lot of those sales, as I tend to be far quicker to ask for ID. I used to be terrified of doing so, and understand totally why some people are, so I try to teach them some ways on how it's done. I'm still learning, though. I've had quite a few complaints made about the way I do these things. The company is put in an impossible position. They can't punish me for upholding the law, but they have to be seen to be keeping the customer happy. Put it this way - I wouldn't like to be our shops manager. (who is also the licensee)
    Am I right in thinking it's only Asda raising the age to buy smokes to 18 and that there is no change in the law? I work on the cig counter at Waitrose and I've not heard anything about it being raised to 18...

I don't really have any particularly strong feelings, I'd generally say I object to any change to the status quo. 16 to smoke seems fair. If you want to stop underage drinking and smoking it's preferable to require ID for booze until you look 21 (as is current policy at many places) and cigs until 18 or 19.
    Am I right in thinking it's only Asda raising the age to buy smokes to 18 and that there is no change in the law? I work on the cig counter at Waitrose and I've not heard anything about it being raised to 18...
    Asda have introduced this scheme, and media reports say that Asda management are "challenging" the rest of the retail sector to follow suit. As for changes to the law, if reports are true, these have been on the table for months. Will they happen? I have absolutely no idea.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Asda have introduced this scheme, and media reports say that Asda management are "challenging" the rest of the retail sector to follow suit. As for changes to the law, if reports are true, these have been on the table for months. Will they happen? I have absolutely no idea.

It might happen sooner or later. But if it's just Asda it's a PR stunt, even if the other supermarkets follow suit. If 16-17 year olds can purchase cigarettes at the local newsagent it doesn't really make a difference that they can't at Asda...Anyway this sudden bout of 'morality' from Asda Wal-Mart is from the same company that has some pretty shady working practices, esp in the States. It's a PR move, not much else.
    It might happen sooner or later. But if it's just Asda it's a PR stunt, even if the other supermarkets follow suit. If 16-17 year olds can purchase cigarettes at the local newsagent it doesn't really make a difference that they can't at Asda...Anyway this sudden bout of 'morality' from Asda Wal-Mart is from the same company that has some pretty shady working practices, esp in the States.
    All they've got to do, if they want the cigs, is stump up a few pence more, and buy them at another shop. I don't think this will benefit Asda, but I can't see it causing harm either. After all, losing a few cig sales is hardly going to bankrupt them, is it?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    All they've got to do, if they want the cigs, is stump up a few pence more, and buy them at another shop. I don't think this will benefit Asda, but I can't see it causing harm either. After all, losing a few cig sales is hardly going to bankrupt them, is it?

I think there's hardly any profit for retailers on cigarettes anyway.
    I think there's hardly any profit for retailers on cigarettes anyway.
    It's true. Most of it is immediately taken away in tax for Gordon Brown to fund the thousands of Labour voters he puts on the payroll around the country, and the army of people in non-jobs, like five-a-day co-ordinators, smoking cessation officers... ooh, back on topic nicely. :p On a packet of ciggies that costs £5 at the point of retail, shops get about 50p of it. Not much at all!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Just bin to Berlin, so yay, got 200 L&B for £30... just under actually. Hot as.
    Tweety, do you have a source for the age going up next year thing?

My understanding was that it was only Asda who were going to do it, and the reason they were going to do so was because of 'customer feedback'. These customers probably being over 60 and of the opinion that anybody younger than them shouldn't smoke.

I can't see them easily changing the law on this one. However, if they wanted to do it then they probably wouldn't have too much trouble - most 17 year olds aren't going to be arsed to complain, or have problems getting their 18 year old mates to get them instead. Can you imagine the outcry if they raised the legal age to smoke/drink to 40?

We were told that the law is changing next year but asda are bringing it in early.
    Doofay wrote:

No i don't just what i was told at work.
    Doofay wrote:

My understanding was that it was only Asda who were going to do it, and the reason they were going to do so was because of 'customer feedback'. These customers probably being over 60 and of the opinion that anybody younger than them shouldn't smoke.

I can't see them easily changing the law on this one. However, if they wanted to do it then they probably wouldn't have too much trouble - most 17 year olds aren't going to be arsed to complain, or have problems getting their 18 year old mates to get them instead. Can you imagine the outcry if they raised the legal age to smoke/drink to 40?

Ok i didn't know that, thats not the way they were talking. Anyway i found this...

http://www.asda-press.co.uk/pressrelease/33
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Just bin to Berlin, so yay, got 200 L&B for £30... just under actually. Hot as.

I can beat ya. 200 Luckies, £18 in Zante/Greece. :D
    I can beat ya. 200 Luckies, £18 in Zante/Greece. :D

200 Marlboros for 15 if not less :D
    Tweety wrote:
    Most knives used in stabbings ect are just kitchen knives so i don't think it would make much difference.
    :yes:

And my boyfriend has a combat knife that we use to peel pineapples :yum:
    Tweety wrote:
    Ok i didn't know that, thats not the way they were talking. Anyway i found this...

http://www.asda-press.co.uk/pressrelease/33

Cheers :)
    What actually happens to someone if they buy cigarettes for a child? Do they just get fined, or is it more?
    Co-op :)
    Apparently it's now 'company policy' to watch this video 4 times a year.
    Our new manager is a cunt. These are also company policies:
    - Don't have the back door open EVEN IF THERE IS STOCK OUTSIDE because of the airconditioning that doesn't exist in the stockroom where the door is.
    - Things bought to eat while at work must have the receipt signed by 3 people AND THE BARCODE SCRIBBLED OUT.
    - Do not put dinosaurs on my computer!!!!!!!!!!1111!

AAAAAAAArrrgh.

i work at co-op and they havent made us watch a video yet. although i did hear that the few of us who work on the cigarette kiosk have to go on come training scheme or summits.

and when we buy stuff we only have to get the person who served us to sign the reciept.

but im lincolnshire co-op and although they all sell the same things its bound to be different rules. i hate co-op.
    The age to but cigarettes should be raised by 1 year every year

This would put an end to smoking (apart from those who would do it illegally of course), thouh it would take some time..........
    Toadborg wrote:
    The age to but cigarettes should be raised by 1 year every year

This would put an end to smoking (apart from those who would do it illegally of course), thouh it would take some time..........

its not illegal to smoke under 16 atm, its just illegal to buy or buy for a 16 year old

why treat tabacco like other drugs and make it illegal, if anything it will make things worse
    i work at co-op and they havent made us watch a video yet. although i did hear that the few of us who work on the cigarette kiosk have to go on come training scheme or summits.

and when we buy stuff we only have to get the person who served us to sign the reciept.

but im lincolnshire co-op and although they all sell the same things its bound to be different rules. i hate co-op.
    Co-ops are different in different regions, tbh I think now we are in the same one, Midcounties, after the merger. The reason we are having to watch all these training videos is because our current manager is a hopeless cunt. I don't think he'll be coming back after his holiday.

From the sound of it (you have a cigarette kiosk) you are quite a big Co-op, mine is a 'Swift Shop' where we all go on the tills, and are therefore required to know the laws.

I asked our temporary manager today about this increase in age restriction for cigarettes, but he hadn't heard anything about it.