Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Firewall

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone know a firewall that will install across the network?

Im just getting ready for my server!! :love:

I've decided to use Sophos Antivirus... Because A. the school uses it and B. its good by the sounds of it

Comments

• Options
    As you're configuring a server, you'll be using BSD or Linux on it. Don't really need to bother with a firewall if it's just at home, but both have firewalls built-in.

:)
  • Options
    I don't know much about Sophos, but your looking for a firewall, you've chosen an antivirus?
  • Options
    Server is going to be Windows based.

Anti virus is sorted

Firewalll im clueless about - its just i want to be extra safe, theres been times in the past where i've needed the firewall and not had one so yeah i want to keep everyone protected.

So any other ideas on what firewall or any other software should be installed will be 110% helpful:)
  • Options
    Even if you have a hardware firewall, you should still use a software firewall all the time because it's important for the likes of application control.

Your best off installing personal firewalls on all your workstations, you only really deploy a firewall like you want on commercial organisations and enterprise networks.

I use Sygate Pro but I highly recommend http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/ - ZoneAlarm free is fine to install on your work stations though.
  • Options
    Hmm yeah ill keep my eye on that outpost one thanks;)

Any other networkable apps?
  • Options
    Not that you'll need this stuff but, hey.....

www.wingate.com - WinGate VPN
    www.gfi.com/lannetscan/ - Network security scanner, port scanner and patch management
    www.gfi.com/lanselm/ - Network-wide event log monitoring
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ - Freeware FTP server
    www.remotelyanywhere.com - Admin your system remotely
    http://www.sonasoft.com/products/sonasafe.asp - Backup and recovery
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Not that you'll need this stuff but, hey.....

www.wingate.com - WinGate VPN
    www.gfi.com/lannetscan/ - Network security scanner, port scanner and patch management
    www.gfi.com/lanselm/ - Network-wide event log monitoring
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ - Freeware FTP server
    www.remotelyanywhere.com - Admin your system remotely
    http://www.sonasoft.com/products/sonasafe.asp - Backup and recovery

Well you sound like you know what your talking about!!

The only one i dont understand is why would i need a freeware FTP Server?
  • Options
    You can use your ftp server to access your files from anywhere in the world. You could put your homework in an ftp directory and access it from school without a usb key.

I'd also like to recommend a linux based server. You'd get to do lots more cool things with it easily. Windows server would require lots of pirate software and stopping it from falling over every now and again.

I used a windows2k box as my web/ftp server many moons ago. Wasn't powerfull enough for me.
  • Options
    but i would only need it to run apps off and keep my files :D

And i wouldnt need to access them from school, anything i need i put onto my hosting that i've got
  • Options
    And can anyone else recommend a different Backup product - Is Norton Ghost any good?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    but i would only need it to run apps off and keep my files :D

You need to specify EXACTLY what you're after with this 'server'. Personally, I don't think you have any real use for one whatsoever, and are just experimenting - as such, I'd advise you to forget Windows. Windows was never intended to be a server OS - and because of this, it is quite crap at pretending to be one.

What exactly are you looking for when you ask for 'networked apps'? You really need to learn to be clearer about what you are looking for...
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    And can anyone else recommend a different Backup product - Is Norton Ghost any good?

tar cvf
  • Options
    tar cvf
    :confused::confused:

All i want is somewhere to put ALLL My stuff and everyone elses i dont want a big massive "OMG THE SERVER GOING TO BLOW UP QUICK BLA BLA"

Its just going to be a tower with 160gig where all the files are and i can install stuff on it and run from any pc in the home.

Is that simple enough?
  • Options
    Yeah, all you want is a fileserver. It doesn't need to be connected to the internet, so you don't really need a firewall. You'll not need to administer the box remotely - it'll just be a second system on your network, but used as a filestore.
  • Options
    But its going to be connected to the router which is connected to the net?

But in my other post the IT guy says i can get something from the local IT shop, so should i get switch or something? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    By what you were saying I thought you wanted to build a web server or something like that. If all you want is a file server then buy a network storage device.

What would be perfect for you is this Netgear SC101 Storage Central. Stick in your 160gb hdd and hardwire the device to your router and you have somewhere to stick all your files that can be accessed as easy as if they were on your own PC all for £70.
  • Options
    Windows? Server? :eek2:

I have an sc101. It's okay.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Windows? Server? :eek2:

I have an sc101. It's okay.

I heard they were really bad for data transfur?

Well noog whats it like running apps off? i.e firewall and small apps ?

Need to know fast!

Cheers

P.S how many Hard drives can i put in because i will need to put in 3.
  • Options
    You cannot run applications from it. You can install up to 2 hard drives between 80 - 800gb.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    You cannot run applications from it. You can install up to 2 hard drives between 80 - 800gb.

Hmm, see thats what i would want to do, infact i WILL get one of these just to mess around with and plug in a Hard drive or two and just mess with it!

But ill stick with the one we are building at the moment nice idea tho:)
  • Options
    No, you can't run apps on the sc101. And it uses some bent retarded propriatry OS which will only link with windows (no mac or nix) and it gets hot and sometimes disappears from the network, and the transfer rates are terrible, and the RAID is software, and not hardware, so it's half the speed again if you use raid. And the software is buggy, and it often causes CRC errors on larger files.

Did i mention it was slow? :P.

Oh , you'll only be able to put 2 drives in it. And you would probably be clever to check your drives against a list of confirmed drives that work (As alot of drives don't work with the SC101).

For all those reasons, I said the sc101 was "okay" and not "brilliant"

I have another fileserver on the network running linux and samba and the transfer rates and stability are tonnes better than the sc101 =(
  • Options
    Hmm thats made me think twice, but what do YOU use it for?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Hmm thats made me think twice, but what do YOU use it for?

File storage I reckon.
  • Options
    Hmm probley i think i wont be getting one of these any time soon...

Erm any ideas on what i should get then? im thinking something networking/netgear products but i honestly dont know
  • Options
    Just to clarify, you want something that you can store files on, and what else do you want to be able to do with it?
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Just to clarify, you want something that you can store files on, and what else do you want to be able to do with it?

> Store files
    > Access the files
    > Install programs
    > Run programs on other computers

I have this set up at the moment

INTERNET + Wireless Router + Laptops & Pcs
  • Options
    And your building something from scratch? What components do you already have and how much money do you have to spend and how many systems will you be using?
  • Options
    You must not of been reading my threads over the past 2 weeks,

Im bringing in the final Hard drives 1 x 80gig & 1 x 40gig at school i have 1 x 40gig so in total i will have 160 to play with, im installing windows 2000 pro or what ever one i have on disc.

The specs are fine not sure on the mobo but it was some good old one so hey
  • Options
    Seriously dude, people on here aren't mind readers. Give half-baked information and get half-baked information back.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    You must not of been reading my threads over the past 2 weeks

Background research.