Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    My old man reckons the North Wales lot are a bunch of cunts to anyone who wasnt born north of Aberdare anyway.
    It's a very prevalent attitude, yes. Why do you think I'm moving south and outwards?
  • Options
    I must say, this thread went on for so long that, it was featured on google.
  • Options
    Brenin wrote:
    I must say, this thread went on for so long that, it was featured on google.

That's nothing - we're currently the number 1 result for

'canada's pm doubts israel's actions'
    'three very talented'
    'which news source do you trust the most'

amongst others
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    That's nothing - we're currently the number 1 result for

'canada's pm doubts israel's actions'
    'three very talented'
    'which news source do you trust the most'

amongst others
    That's nothing. Put "Jim V" into Google, and the third result is your profile. The fourth shows "The Official Jim V Facts Thread". You love it, don't you? :p
  • Options
    Also, I was curious as to why old threads about hair straighteners were constantly getting dragged up, so I googled "Cheap GHDs" and it seems we're number one result for that too [/loser]
  • Options
    My thread for Channel 4's top 100 albums of all time was number 2 on Google for a while as Jim helpfully pointed out. Go me.
  • Options
    ah tis only healthy rivalry, well around here anyway

but quite a few people seem to think we're practically english in Newport anyway :(

just cos we're connected by the stupid severn crossing :p

p.s. one of me best friends is english, in fact he's a womble :yes:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    My old man reckons the North Wales lot are a bunch of cunts to anyone who wasnt born north of Aberdare anyway.
    my housemate's from north wales n she reckons it's the other way around.
  • Options
    Yup. To be officially classified as a country, you need a seat at the UN and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland don't have one. Then again, neither has England. Given the amount of non-England people on these boards, I'll save my argument as to why Wales, Scotland and NI are part of England for another day.

What I said was, Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are Constituent Countries and England does not own Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as today those people have chosen to live in the union, the union of the United Kingdom.

It is irrelevent whether the nations want Independence, and at the end of the day, didn't America fight a war against England for independence. It's this type of arrogance that caused that war wasn't it. England is a good country with good people, but you do have the occasional bum who enjoys the racist slur now and again.

I personally support a federal form of the United Kingdom, where there is a form of federal law whilst the nations have their own laws also. I believe thats more fair than anything. Another thing, Scotland was not conquered, they were beaten in wars but they were not conquered, the Scots surrendered their government to form the United Kingdom after the Acts of Union 1707.

If you think about it, the English might own the land of Wales today, but they can't dictate to the people anymore. England needs to respect differences. England is a good country, and it is a shame people do stupid things to make a good nation look bad.

and not saying us Welsh don't have nutters either, we have people always passing racial remarks against the English, but sometimes a Welshman could say something as a competitive joke and the Englishman would go nuts and shout racist.

Works both ways.
  • Options
    and I am not anti English mind, I just believe that every nation has a right to govern themselves, whether members of the UN or not. Another thing is remember that during the Saddam years in Iraq, they were not a member of the UN as they were thrown out and countries depending on their actions can be tossed out of the security council and other nations can make decisions on their behalf, being a member of the UN does not make that nation a country, it just makes that nation a member of a peacemaking organisation.

e.g. when the Soviet Union existed, the territory of the Ukraine had a seperate seat in the UN alongside Russia as the Soviet Union. But the Ukraine at the time was not an independent country it was a member STATE of the Soviet Union.
  • Options
    Brenin wrote:
    I just believe that every nation has a right to govern themselves,

In order for me to understand your beliefs, could you tell me if you believe that every individual has a right to govern themselves ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    In order for me to understand your beliefs, could you tell me if you believe that every individual has a right to govern themselves ?

Don't be ridiculous. No society would work with everyone only looking out for themselves. It would be anarchy. Say if i wanted a particular item, and Bob also wanted a particular item. The specific item i want. What if Bob would do anything to get the item. For example kill me the competition in order to get his hands on the particular item. Laws are needed to protect people from what can become the competitiveness of some aspects of human nature.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:

Are you nuts? I said all nations should have the right to govern themselves, not individual people!
  • Options
    I am not suggesting a Communist state like, good god.
  • Options
    Brenin wrote:
    What I said was, Wales, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland are Constituent Countries and England does not own Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as today those people have chosen to live in the union, the union of the United Kingdom.
    Er, hang on a minute. I don't recall Henry VIII holding some referendums before passing the Acts of Union during his reign. Or was I off sick the day my History class was taught about that? :p
  • Options
    Brenin wrote:
    If you think about it, the English might own the land of Wales today, but they can't dictate to the people anymore. England needs to respect differences. England is a good country, and it is a shame people do stupid things to make a good nation look bad.

Quite the opposite actually. The English don't own the land, but they do dictate to the people. Do you actually think anyone gives a damn about what the Welsh Assembly does? It was given, in my opinion, for the same reason as the Scottish parliament was allowed to exist; just to give the fuckers some impressions of power when they actually have virtually nothing. It's a political placebo. Give them a parliament, and they're happier. This is not because they actually have any more power, rather because they think they do.

It's interesting you should mention the United Kingdom as part of your argument to show that Scotland and Wales are constituent places rather than subservient ones. We need to look at where the origin of the United Kingsdom lies.

1603, Elizabeth I dies and has no heirs. The nearest heir to be found is some distant cousin, James VI of Scotland. Now, he inherits the throne of England (not Britain, the UK etc.) and thus the two kingdoms, England and Scotland, are united (hence, United Kingdom). However, where did James choose to rule these united kingdoms from? London. The same as every other monarch of Britain since. England, with James, assimilated Scotland just as England had assimilated Wales ages before that during the reign of Edward I (the origin of the title of the Prince of Wales). The Acts of Union of 1707 were nothing more than a formality. Scotland was under de facto control by England anyway.

Northern Ireland has more of a claim in that the Protestants were brought over a couple of hundred years ago by the English in an attempt to dilute the Catholic population and maintain control. But since they were brought over, anyone without Catholic heritage is likely, only 3 or 4 generations back, to be an immigrant.

Now it must be said firstly, that I'm not presenting this to incite racial hatred, to diss peoples' roots or anything. Merely to argue a point that Scotland, NI and Wales have been and are subservient to London. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way things are.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Er, hang on a minute. I don't recall Henry VIII holding some referendums before passing the Acts of Union during his reign. Or was I off sick the day my History class was taught about that? :p

ok, The people of modern Wales rather than Tudor Wales prefer the United Kingdom rather than just a Welsh Republic. What I meant was and hopefully more clear this time, that the people of Wales are more accepting of it now than what we would have been then.

Looking at the latest information, London has the right to control over Wales, Scotland and NI, but apparently the UK Government has interfered very little in the Welsh Assembly's affairs, though I do agree, no one respects the Welsh Assembly or the Scottish Parliament and I have asked in the past, why are they there if they are going to be ignored? What is the point of Self-Government when the nations are still controlled from Central Government?
  • Options
    I still want to say that I am a Welshman with no problems with the English anyway, to show that I do not agree with fighting English people of Wales's problems today.

I believe still that the Welsh, Scots and the Northern Irish should have their own laws and legal systems and still maintain a strong relationship with England as the UK. Whether we have our laws or not, it is wrong to argue with English people because they are of a different background to us (I am referring to Saxon, Jute and Angles times), we should all get on, afterall whether your English, Welsh, Russian or Chinese we are all human, so who cares.
  • Options
    I'm not presenting this to incite racial hatred, to diss peoples' roots or anything.

The only roots of a person I can see are the ones back to the mother`s womb. And any connection to a geographical location( for example Wales) is due solely to the fact that is where she had the umbilical cord detached.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    The only roots of a person I can see are the ones back to the mother`s womb. And any connection to a geographical location( for example Wales) is due solely to the fact that is where she had the umbilical cord detached.

I was merely saying that so that people didn't get offended in case they felt that I was dissing their roots.

And I don't agree with your statement that our only roots are from our mothers' wombs. So we are just random individuals with no connection whatsoever to the piece of space and time we happen to inhabit? I'm not saying it counts for anything, but roots are a little more than what subsequently became your belly button.
  • Options
    Scotland lost the Parliament in 1707 because it ran out of money, due to the Darian Project being a complete shambles.

The English stepped in and bailed the country out. Without that, Scotland would have been in deep shit and who knows what would have happened. So yeah, we were subserviant to London.

Anyway, the Scots don't hate the English, anyone who claims anything more than vague apathy is a bit of a moron really, someone who just wants to hate with no reason or rhyme. Seriously, ask any of the drooling vegetables that actually claim to hate the English for a reason and they'll just look at you, furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand. All the people I know don't care and I refuse to believe that I move in enlightened circles.

Of course, switch the Scotsman for an Englishman and and repeat the question about France or Germany and what do you know? The exact same thing happens! How spooky

Can't we all just live together? :o
  • Options
    Yes

I'm Welsh, and I really can't stand the English. They're arrogant and plain annoying. Furthermore they are tyrants and cowards... and even have the nerve to drive around Wales with their shitty England flags on their cars. Cymru am Byth.
  • Options
    Okey wrote:
    I'm Welsh, and I really can't stand the English. They're arrogant and plain annoying. Furthermore they are tyrants and cowards... and even have the nerve to drive around Wales with their shitty England flags on their cars. Cymru am Byth.
    Nice first post, dumbass.
  • Options
    Nice first post, dumbass.
    :D Indeed.

Er...welcome to the boards?
  • Options
    Okey wrote:

:rolleyes:

I'm English, I've never flown a flag on my car (they're naff FFS) and I've never even been to Wales.

Kind of screws up your prejudice, non?
  • Options
    Okey wrote:
    I'm Welsh, and I really can't stand the English.

Nor are you really important enough to count for much. Sorry.

Not you personally, of course. But a few Welsh hating the English isn't an issue.
  • Options
    Okey wrote:

Just like all those stupid twats wandering around Bristol wearing Wales t-shirts?

Pot, kettle, black. Moron.

I happen to take great pride in being a tyrant. Yesterday for example, I oppressed a small family from Wigan. I siezed their lands and razed them to the ground!
  • Options
    I like welsh accents :]

im sure the welsh that arent living in england hate us though.:cool:
  • Options
    get this into perspective !

hi, I know this is an old thread but i've got to have my say! The Welsh don't hate every english person on an individual basis. They hate the money minded, self centred attitude that a lot (to be honest they tend to be the ones with money!) english people bring to our country. They come here , Americanise our towns with shopping centres, macdonalds etc , etc ,or they come because they want to buy a holiday home or retire in a nice little Welsh village but at the same time have no respect for the locals who are living there. A great example is the landfill site due to come into use within the next week in my home town. It's waste from Merseyside ( no Welsh waste gets dumped into england by the way ! ). The locals are proper working class people who don't ask for a lot, because the council here doesn't care a damn about them anyway , but they have said NO to this for years, because they already have 2 landfill sites in their town ( and it is a small place) and they have just had enough. To be fair most people in merseyside probably know nothing about it but it is happening all over Wales, and land fill is just the tip of the ice berg! These are the type of things that peolple are getting so outraged about and that is even before you come to the question of language. Wales is one of the poorest countries in Europe, england is one of the richest, why is that !?certainly not because we lack our own natural resources but because they have been taken from us. We have a right to exist ! to continue our way of life, which is different to that of english people and that is ALL WE ASK FOR! It's not about hate, it's about right and wrong and i defy anyone who seriously wants to look into this issue to come to a different conclusion. It's not just about history either, as important as that is, it's about what is happening now, to me, my friends and family.Cymru am byth!
  • Options
    As for where we would be without the english. Please tell us where you would think we would be !? Explain ! What do you think we get from england, now or throughout history.
This discussion has been closed.