Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lazy v Money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, Ive got a rather nice problem. I work for a bank, and I hate my job. I looked around and this week a bank in the city offered me a job. 50% pay rise and more opportunity. Then the next day, my bank offers me a promotion, and a 25% pay rise.

Here is the problem....my job - easy/ 8 hour days / lots of mates / average money.

Possible new job...Great money / long days / difficult.

I always thought i'd go for the latter....but i'm edging towards the easy option.

should I be ashamed of myself? or would you do the same?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It isn't really a question of money vs being lazy, it's a question of whether or not it is worth trading certain aspects of your life for an increased income. In my mind, the important things in life don't come from earning more money, but they can be lost by earning more money.

I'd take(and have done) happiness over money any day of the week.
    The grass isnt always greener. Something you need to ask yourslef is where do you want to go in life? Would you by happy in your current job surrounded by friends and getting the occasional pay rise ro would you rather be rich but unhappy for a while? no doubt you would make friends at the new place so i wouldnt let that be a factor. Also: which job sounds better on paper? (im thinking for your cv in the future)
    I think I'd go for the one that's more likely to make you happy in the long term. I wouldn't turn down a great job, that might mean you don't get to hang out with your friends as much in the short term, if it was more likely to make you happy in the long term. But I wouldn't want a job which meant that you literally never get to spend time with your friends. But you don't want to stick in a shit job, then in a couple of years, all your friends become a bit more ambitious and end up having less time to spend with you anyway.

Equally, I'd never pick a job with worse prospects, just because it paid more.
    fun is priceless
    I'd probably go for the money, as I want to would want to get myself up the career ladder.
    I'd see it as a challenge and would go for the new job offer with higher money, its more likely got more prospects too, and like other people said about going up the career ladder
    You'd make new friends at your new job anyway. And besides, your current friends will probably move up the career ladder in the next few years anyway. If you are that close to them, moving job won't split you all up. :)

You would undoubtedly love the extra money that comes with the job, as it would make your life a bit more enjoyable. You won't have to worry about what you're spending all the time, either. Though, if you don't think you're up for the job, then maybe a 25% rise is good enough for you.

It's your decision, do what you want, not anyone else. :)