Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Some much needed help please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello there,

I have come into a situation where I could use some serious help. Recently I've had some problems at home ( I live in nottingham) and because of this I cannot stay there anymore. I've now moved in and started living with a friend of mine. I am only 18 years old and I'm going to Leeds University in September.

My Dad lives very far down south in Worcestershire and when I travel away to uni i need to come back in the holidays, but where do I go? I can't go home because of difference of opinion between me and my mums partner, i cant stay here and i dont want to leave for going down south away from my life up here.

I really don 't know what I'm supposed to do. I could really use some advice.

Please help.
Steve.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry a bit unsure why you can't go back to your dads in the holidays?

it'll only be 3-4 times a year.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I agree with Lucifer Devil.

It ain't that far to travel to go to your dads - a few hours on a train. Go there.
    I agree with Lucifer Devil.

It ain't that far to travel to go to your dads - a few hours on a train. Go there.

firstly there is no where for me to sleep.

secondly i know nobody there, all of my freinds are in nottingham and i dont see why i should not see them again

and thirdly my dads household income is great enough to lower the allownace of my student loan, which would make it even more difficult for me at uni
    mrbox99 wrote:

and thirdly my dads household income is great enough to lower the allownace of my student loan, which would make it even more difficult for me at uni

what difference does that make?!?!?!

did your mum re-marry? depending on where you put down that you live, they'll take your step-dads income into account (if you have one).

and i'm sure your dad would find somewhere for you to sleep and you can make friends just like you will at uni.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Is there no way you can work through the problems you're having at your mum's house?

no chance
    what difference does that make?!?!?!

did your mum re-marry? depending on where you put down that you live, they'll take your step-dads income into account (if you have one).

and i'm sure your dad would find somewhere for you to sleep and you can make friends just like you will at uni.

what difference does that make? Just because they take my mums partners income into account it doesnt mean tht my mums household income amounts to more than my dads still. Infact its like half the amount of my dads as he lives with his g.f.
    What about writing down your mom's address for hte purpose of your student loan but just not going to stay there in the holidays?
    Firstly, AFAIK its only parental income- not income of parent and spouse, unless that spouse is a legal guardian.

Secondly, lie.

Thirdly, as a student with a permanent residence at uni, you would find it impossible to get council accomodation.

Basically your choices are live at uni all year around, live with your dad, patch it up at home, or sofa surf for four months. Those are your choices.
    Kermit wrote:
    Firstly, AFAIK its only parental income- not income of parent and spouse, unless that spouse is a legal guardian.

Yep :D

Live at uni over the few months. Lots of summer jobs in here and the surrounding towns.
    I'd say stay in halls over the summer and get a summer job.
    Fact, you'll always be able to go home for the odd weekend, Leeds isn't that far from nottingham.
    stay at uni in the holidays, plenty of people do it. and then go to nottingham for the odd weekend/few days or whatever and stay at your mates.
    Kermit wrote:
    Not anymore it's not.

It was that way until last year but now your parent only has to co-habit with someone for their income to count.