Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do you book your holidays?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
How or where do you research / look for and book your holiday?

I've found places to stay in the UK in brochures and on websites. I've just recently found a hotel in The Cotswolds on the Internet. I'm happy to book them if there are enough pictures to show me what the place is like.

I've never been abroad on my own, but my parents always look in brochures and find the rough area they want to stay then go to the travel agents and see what they have to offer, usually deciding there and then and booking it.

Any good websites anyone knows of? I've booked off LastMinute.com before but there were problems with the booking and stay all the way through.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Our family have pretty much always used travel agents on the high street - namely Going Places because they're the only company that offer flights to our usual holiday destination in Greece.
    We've tried teletext holidays, but the ones they advertise are always 'unavailable' so are complete rubbish.
    Yeah Teletext is a joke all the fares sem fake whenever we've tried but that was long before the internet took off.

Lsat time I went with a friend to Spain we didn't even have a place to stay we just had flights and got an apartment when we arrived, was really easy to do and so many choices.
    My parents had a time share thingy. Oh god that was the best thing ever. You didn't have to stay at hotels, you got real nice mini condo things, vacation anytime anywhere (as long as it wasn't bookd up) Oh, if you have the money, I would definatly look into a time share. Let me tell you, best experience ever.
    I tend to get flights only these days.
    i usually book flights and accomodation seperate these days, usually works out cheaper for me. book flights direct through flight companies, hotels through various sites including expedia, booking.com, hostelworld etc...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    book flights direct through flight companies, hotels through various sites including expedia, booking.com, hostelworld etc...

:yes: often a good way of doing it. You may find this article on finding accomodation useful :)
    Its nearly always cheaper if you book your flights directly with the airline rather than going through a travel agent - you can even book charter flights directly.

Though having said that some of the expedia hotel and flight deals are really good and work out cheaper than flight only so its worth hunting around. However the internet is definately your friend.
    Yeah I just book flights and go to hostelworld for accommodation. As for research, lonelyplanet, footprint guidebooks Etc...and internet.

Works out cheap.